Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #241
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brexit - Theresa May survives vote of non-confidence

On the lighter side and one I’m sure would meet with some posters approval:

https://newsthump.com/2019/08/28/liv...eid=35f7f59046

Liverpool to prorogue Premier League until May 2020.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #242
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The UK was not fine before the EU it was in chaos and falling apart, as a state it is around the most unproductive least educated in the 'west', it has an economy geared solely towards providing services to the EU.

The economic effect of Brexit will be the loss of around 50% of its service sector that wont be replaced, it will be a permanent weakening of the UK economy dropping them down to lower second rate status
Norway and Switzerland and heck even Canada aren’t in the EU and are all doing quite well. Britain will be fine. Don’t need to be alarmist.

The U.S. and China and Australia are all non member EU countries haha.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #243
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I like how Barnet Flame has brought in a bunch of nuance and fair questions in his posts and stampsx2's responses have basically been "Nuh uh!"
That has been the problem in the states especially regarding Trump. Everything gets judged on basic level counting metrics. It's all about crowd sizes, TV ratings, etc. But then they totally ignore that popularity does not necessarily correlate with quality. Justin Beiber or Miley Cyrus shouldn't be the ones we go to for advice on innovations in music simply because they sold a lot of albums.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #244
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I like how Barnet Flame has brought in a bunch of nuance and fair questions in his posts and stampsx2's responses have basically been "Nuh uh!"
Ya sorry i’ve played the link game on cp before. Everybody puts links that support their views (and you could literally find anything that that’s spun your way). It was even just done a couple posts above this one. Snoopy Noopers posted a youtube video that was suppose to give the impression that the entirety of Britain is against brexit because thousands of people marched on the streets.

I think it’s enough to say your point of view and move on. Nobody is going to convince anyone of anything on a public forum.

I don’t have time for the “find a link that spins it your way” game.

Not going into the selective links that have incomplete or bias analysis.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #245
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Norway and Switzerland and heck even Canada aren’t in the EU and are all doing quite well. Britain will be fine. Don’t need to be alarmist.

Is this a troll or are you just simple-folk?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #246
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya sorry i’ve played the link game on cp before. Everybody puts links that support their views (and you could literally find anything that that’s spun your way). It was even just done a couple posts above this one. Snoopy Noopers posted a youtube video that was suppose to give the impression that the entirety of Britain is against brexit because thousands of people marched on the streets.

I think it’s enough to say your point of view and move on. Nobody is going to convince anyone of anything on a public forum.

"I don't have time to find facts that support my opinion because I FEEL that I'm right!"
Old 08-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #247
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Britain will not be fine, it isn't alarmist it is just basic economics, the UK has spent 50 years completely ignoring every other economic sector in order to take advantage of its EU membership, there is no part of the UK economy that isn't dependant on the EU, from auto making, wholly foreign owned and dependant on 60% parts from the EU for every car made in the UK, 50% of the cars going straight back to the EU after a production process that sees those car sub assemblies cross back and forth from Germany to the UK 5 times.

Cars are, incidently, the UK's largest non EU export, car making will be wiped out as a result of Brexit, you see here's the problem, Brexit doesn't just bugger UK EU trade it also buggers UK non EU trade.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #248
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:

I genuinely 100% read things to get more perspective. I hate being in bubbles and only having reinforcing opinions. One of my favorite readings is MLK's letter from a Birmingham Jail where he talks about the need for tension.

Quote:
But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth
So while you may be of the opinion you aren't going to learn anything from anyone on the internet, there are still a few of us that like opposing viewpoints. Don't fall into the trap! Keep challenging yourself and those you talk to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #249
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest issue is the question asked on Referendums.

The nanance is lost. The leave side gets to promise everything the stay side has to defend the warts of the current system. Any attacks from Stay on leave are parried with the Brexit we are supporting doesn't have those problems.

Britain did not vote in favor of a Hard Brexit.

Its like a referendum on the Canadian constitution being do you support changing the Canadian Constitution? vs an actual vote on the Charlottetown accord. The results will be different. Same with the Quebec Separation referendum question where 'Yes' voters were really voting for a better deal rather than actual separation.

So while I agree you can't just hold Referendums until you get the answer you want you also need to have a clear choice between two outcomes before holding a referendum.

So I think a second question on Hard Brexit vs Stay would be reasonable.

That said I think people over exaggerate the consequences. Britain can still require all companies use EU EN standards for all products. They just will no longer sit on the committees developing them.

Britain and the EU can choose to have no Customs enforcement in the Ireland zone and instead have Customs enforcement leaving Ireland on both sides or just accept higher rates of illegal activity at this boarder.

Even on Tarriffs both sides can start at status quo and not impose Tarrifs and only if trade wars develop would things start to change.

The EU has a vested interest in punishing Britain and therefore is threatening the Armageddon scenario to try to get a negotiated Brexit. If the UK calls the bluff the EU likely won't shoot themselves in the foot and and push Armageddon.

There obviously will be damage but certainly not as severe and many of the issues are easily solvable with a general action of leave the status quo until individual items are negotiated.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #250
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

Bolton enthusiastically agrees
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #251
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

Well....I just found a new source of amazing news stories!!

Quote:
David Attenborough has had enough and has taken matters into his own hands.

The presenter of Blue Planet and outspoken environmentalist stole a fire engine in the middle of the night and is heading for the Amazon rainforest to sort out the fires himself.

“I’m aware of the risks, and that a man of my age usually wouldn’t be able to contribute a lot to putting out the fires but, in case you haven’t noticed, I’m David ####ing Attenborough.

“So either get in the back and make sure those oxygen tanks are working, or get the hell out of my fire truck.”

A spokesperson for the local fire department said, “Well, we would ideally like our truck back, but only once David Attenborough is finished with it to his complete satisfaction. After all, he is David Attenborough and can do what he likes.

A Brazilian government spokesperson said, “We strongly advise Mr Attenborough to proceed no further on this ridiculous quest to save the rainforest.

“We’re only advising, mind you. He can do whatever he wants. He is David Attenborough.”
https://newsthump.com/2019/08/25/you...n-fire-engine/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #252
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
"I don't have time to find facts that support my opinion because I FEEL that I'm right!"
We’ve had a climate link battle before. It went nowhere even though everyone was telling you the same thing.

Maybe you could watch cnn or fox. They have lots of selective guests on there. Cp is no reuters or ap.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #253
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would help if posters realised the UK economies relationship with the EU is a lot closer to a Province within Canada these days.

Most of my Brit mates spend as much time working in Germany doing installs as they do in the UK, granted they work in IT, their companies are almost all joint UK Dutch or German, but if you are in a skilled trade in the UK you are as likely to spend time working in Europe as you would be likely to have to head to Toronto to do a contract or take a course here.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #254
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest of the disaster capitalists that made this happen must be salivating right now.

It’s well past time for sane Brits to take to the streets and make their voices heard. Burn it down.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #255
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Since we’re talking about not responding to posts, i’m still waiting for a response for this one. Seems it was conveniently skipped.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #256
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest of the disaster capitalists that made this happen must be salivating right now.

It’s well past time for sane Brits to take to the streets and make their voices heard. Burn it down.
Che Guaverra? Is that you? It didn’t go so well for you last time.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #257
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Since we’re talking about not responding to posts, i’m still waiting for a response for this one. Seems it was conveniently skipped.
Scroll up
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #258
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You haven’t made one substantive contribution so I’ve finished discussing it with you.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #259
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Because it was a fairly arbitrary and pointless question. You seem to be constructing a strawman that in order for a country to be successful it has to be in the EU. No one is claiming that. Countries can certainly be successful on their own. And for countries even in geographically in Europe it might not make sense for them to join the union. All of that is true and no one is disputing it.

However, many here are making the argument that leaving the EU is a negative change for Britain. Many here are arguing that the vote was built on lies and that people were deceived so simply retorting "leave won so suck it" is not particularly helpful.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #260
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We’ve had a climate link battle before. It went nowhere even though everyone was telling you the same thing.

Maybe you could watch cnn or fox. They have lots of selective guests on there. Cp is no reuters or ap.
I have no memory of this. It's certainly possible but I tend to stay out of the climate battles because I'm not a climate expert.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: