Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #7401
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You wouldn't trade Laine for Monahan and a 1st?

lol
Nope. Carry on.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #7402
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Positive news: HF seems to think that Ryan is worth a 2nd at least. That could be very nice.

Negative: I actually like what Ryan brings and it would suck just to lose him as a cap casualty, definitely makes the roster weaker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #7403
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Positive news: HF seems to think that Ryan is worth a 2nd at least. That could be very nice.

Negative: I actually like what Ryan brings and it would suck just to lose him as a cap casualty, definitely makes the roster weaker.
If we can get a 2nd for Ryan I take that and "START THE CAR"

Nothing against him, and understand where you're coming from with your second point, but he's only getting older, not going to improve on production or what he brings. If we turn Ryan into a potential better player with the 2nd, plus free up the cap space, plus actually get to promote some youth, sign me up.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #7404
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
If we can get a 2nd for Ryan I take that and "START THE CAR"

Nothing against him, and understand where you're coming from with your second point, but he's only getting older, not going to improve on production or what he brings. If we turn Ryan into a potential better player with the 2nd, plus free up the cap space, plus actually get to promote some youth, sign me up.
Yeah I am with you, especially in what looks like a relatively deep draft with many potential gems in round 2. But Ryan is one of the few players on our roster that fits on every line and generally makes his linemates better. He has been a key cog in the development of Mangiapane and Dube. It just sucks to lose a guy like him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #7405
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
[Ryan to Colorado for a 4th/3rd
Gaudreau, 2nd to St. Louis for Schwartz, Parayko, 1st(or Klim Kostim)
Monahan, 1st to Dallas for Seguin, 3rd
2nd to Columbus for Josh Anderson
sign Holtby 3M x 2 yrs]

Derek Ryan should get a late 2nd from a Western Conf. team or a 3rd at least from an Eastern team. He has decent value from a strong team.
Gaudreau should return more quality than quantity. Schwartz can't stay healthy and Kostim is nothing special.

Monahan + 1st should return better than a declining and expensive Seguin - I'd rather have a young Laine.
2nd for Anderson I'm game!
Holtby at that contract I'd be good with too if Markstrom costs more than 5.5MM for 5 years.
This is bold.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #7406
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andrew Walker was on with Boomer and they mumbled a whole bunch of stuff but Walker did say “I hear Jacob Markstrom will be a Calgary Flame”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #7407
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Andrew Walker was on with Boomer and they mumbled a whole bunch of stuff but Walker did say “I hear Jacob Markstrom will be a Calgary Flame”
I have no idea how he could possibly know that unless there is some sort of tampering going on.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #7408
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think he was being facetious. Making fun of the angle that Markstrom would sign with the Flames because he and Lindholm are friends.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #7409
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I have no idea how he could possibly know that unless there is some sort of tampering going on.
Could be a trade for rights is warming up.

Not saying that's definite, but it's an obvious possibility outside of tampering.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #7410
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly has there ever been a time when there wasn't rampant tampering in the NHL?
Old 09-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #7411
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I doubt there would even be any real concerns about "tampering" this off-season.

A shortened offseason with a limited window between the end of the season, draft, free agency, and potential start of the next season.

Not to mention all the contracts technically expired on July 1st anyways. I'm sure any free agents are having open discussions with teams at this point, just aren't eligible to sign that new contract until Oct. 9th or whenever it is.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #7412
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think he was being facetious. Making fun of the angle that Markstrom would sign with the Flames because he and Lindholm are friends.
This. Pretty much.

He wasn't serious.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #7413
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I took it more as he's heard rumblings of the interest as well, and it then devolved into the joking about Friedman's friend comment after the fact....but the entire segment was pure garbage.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #7414
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver radio saying Tanev hasn’t had an offer yet. Surprised they don’t try to keep him.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #7415
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just listening to the Walker segment now.

The Calgary thing was a joke. But he did follow up after saying he can't see Markstrom being back in Vancouver.

In regards to Tanev, walker also said he's going to get top 4oney but he's a better 5/6 d man on a good team. Hughes inflated Tanevs stats.

Last edited by dammage79; 09-22-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #7416
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could easily see Calgary and Vancouver swapping goalies this offseason. Talbot could see that as an opportunity to get a lot of games and if the Canucks can’t afford Markstrom then he is fantastic insurance for them if Demko falters a bit.

Last edited by Vinny01; 09-22-2020 at 02:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #7417
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I could easily see Calgary and Vancouver swapping goalies this offseason. Talbot could see that as an opportunity to get a lot of games and if the Canucks can’t afford Markstrom then he is fantastic insurance for them if Demko falters a bit.
Agreed. Could be Talbot, or maybe Rittich going to Van. I think one or the other would work with Demko.

But maybe just wishful thinking that we have Markstrom in the fold here.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #7418
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mentioned this exact same scenario to a friend. I can totally see Talbot signing a multi year deal with Vancouver. It gives Vancouver a guy they can expose to the expansion draft, and be that steady veteran behind Demko.

I'd be totally ok with Markstrom to the Flames for $5.5M. Anything over $6M though, I'd start to worry.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #7419
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not necessarily, Walker is based out of Vancouver, so in this case he'd be potentially hearing what players want and/or think. That is also assuming he wasn't mocking rumors.

But I wouldn't be shocked if he heard that Markstrom wants to go to Calgary if he doesn't re-sign in Vancovuer. Combine that with possible insider knowledge that Markstrom/Vancouver negotiations are at an impasse and the rumors of the Fames being in on Kuemper and Murray and it is only logical to think we will contact Markstrom too.

I don't think it would be terribly far fetched for him to make that statement without any tampering being involved.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #7420
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why not? Swap goalies with Edmonton one year, Vancouver the next. Bold move.
Closed Thread