Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #81
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I literally tonight said they can't go back to Smith.

What more do you want? I guess I could drop in a couple f-bombs or call him a piece of garbage if you want.

I've criticized plenty of players - including Johnny.

I hated Jiri Hudler the entire time he played here.
Just a few examples....

In fact my ENTIRE point in the last few years is that you should hold the players accountable for bad performance.

I don't get heated because that's not my nature. But that doesn't mean I haven't criticized players when they play poorly
And fair enough to not getting heated, that's understandable. But it should be easy for you to see why that laid back nature, coupled with statistics defending what an eye test clearly refutes, can make people question opinions of mods.

Edit: this isnt referring to Smith, but if you'd like I can go searching through both of your post histories to prove my point.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #82
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFather View Post
Could it be that a trade to the Capitals/Lightning and change of scenery do wonders for him? I think those teams might take him with their goaltending situation/injuries.
Change of scenery to the AHL would do wonders for everyone involved.

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #83
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said in the other thread Smith knows it’s over.

He’s a liability. With average goaltending Flames are one of the class of the league.

With Smith in net they are not a playoff team.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #84
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could it be that a trade to the Capitals/Lightning and change of scenery do wonders for him? I think those teams might take him with their goaltending situation/injuries.
No ones taking him, he’s the joke of the league right now.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #85
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why would they? Seriously at this point why would any team do that?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #86
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
That probably makes him a good person. It's a *game* people. Say what you want good or bad, *none* of you call the shots. Maybe fans need to adjust their sense of perspective?
By all accounts, including some from people I know who know him personally, I hear Mike Smith is a great teammate and all around good guy. I wish nothing but the best for him in whatever happens to him from here on out.

That all said, this is a results business and as a Flames fan I hope that whatever happens to him doesn't involve ever skating out to the Flames's crease in Flames silks again. It's over.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #87
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
It's more likely that he calls it quits and retires. One can only hope I guess.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #88
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
And fair enough to not getting heated, that's understandable. But it should be easy for you to see why that laid back nature, coupled with statistics defending what an eye test clearly refutes, can make people question opinions of mods.

Edit: this isnt referring to Smith, but if you'd like I can go searching through both of your post histories to prove my point.

Sure please go ahead.
Bingo and I are not the same guy. I'm far too lazy to use statistics to or dig in - in that manner. Bingo goes way deeper than I and understands advances stats far more than I do.

I enjoy reading some of the advanced analytics but I don't post much about them at all. If ever. In fact one of the only times was tonight when I referred to the analytics supporting pulling the goalie early. But that's about it.
If I have to apologize for being laid back and not losing my sh** then I don't know what to tell you. Sorry I guess?
My status as a mod should have no bearing on this. Unless we are getting back to the whole idea that Bingo and I are on the take?

So yeah please do take the time to prove whatever point you are trying to make.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith can't be traded right now. All they can do is waive him. But there's no one to bring up because Gillies and Parsons are hurt. Unless you want Schneider.

There are some backups to be had, but talk about dealing from a position of weakness. I think they just need to dress him as a backup for a long run of games - see if he can refocus given some backup time and get his head back together for a start sometime down the road.

And get his eyes checked.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #90
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If someone criticizes a player but just doesn't fly off the handle, or looks to try and figure out the thinking and player assignment strategy of a coach, instead of flying off the handle and screaming at the clouds, I don't think their opinion is questionable. It's just a different approach.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #91
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that gets me, is that this was totally predictable. I disliked the acquisition to begin with because Smith was never an elite goalie, is overpaid and aging. I get that he is a good guy, but that should only get you so far.

He had a good run for a while last season for a short period of time, but overall he has been exactly what a lot of us expected.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #92
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Smith can't be traded right now. All they can do is waive him. But there's no one to bring up because Gillies and Parsons are hurt. Unless you want Schneider.

There are some backups to be had, but talk about dealing from a position of weakness. I think they just need to dress him as a backup for a long run of games - see if he can refocus given some backup time and get his head back together for a start sometime down the road.

And get his eyes checked.
I would think that Tre has been burning the phone lines enquiring about other goaltenders in this league that might be available. Probably only a matter of time before he pulls the trigger on a trade.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #93
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I say the Flames sign Smith long term now while his value is at an all time low so when he turns it around his contract is considered a steal. Now that is some out of the box thinking that our GM should be considering.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #94
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Didn't watch the game tonight. Just saw the highlights...man that's disappointing.

I don't hate Smith; he seems like a great guy and I love his competitive spirit. When he first came here he was lights out and that was awesome. But when you're done, you're done. And Smith is done as an NHL goalie. It's too bad but everyone retires at some point.

It should be painfully obvious to Peters that that GWG was the last straw. I am confident Rittich is our guy now and moving forward. I hope we waive Smith and bring in another goalie, but my only worry is that Rittich still can't handle #1 duties like last year. Here's hoping I'm wrong or else it's going to be a frustrating season because the rest of our team has been awesome.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #95
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one comes out a winner against Father Time, that's just the way it goes. Smith should recognize that, and accept he's now a back up. If the team decides (and God I hope the team decides properly) that Rittich should get more starts, then rather than pout about it, take it graciously, work on your game as a back up, and be a good pro and teammate. That's all I ask of the guy. Just collect your $5M graciously, and please don't sewer the team. The team already gave you all the chances you deserved to win the starting job. You just don't have it anymore.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #96
PuckFather
Draft Pick

Quote:
Why would they? Seriously at this point why would any team do that?
Some teams may take a chance & if it doesn't work, they'll just waive him.
PuckFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #97
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just can’t believe how much management/coaching has been willing to tolerate from smith. It’s ridiculous. It’s drives me crazy to hear the fan960 guys say things like “you need mike smith to get better” or “he is their number one” or “have to think about how to manage the goalies all season.” It’s stupid.

It is a very, very simple solution:

“Rittich, you are now the #1 goalie for this team. Smith, you are now the backup and if your play does not improve drastically in the next game we put you in (in December), we’ll have to find another backup goalie.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #98
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure please go ahead.
Bingo and I are not the same guy. I'm far too lazy to use statistics to or dig in - in that manner. Bingo goes way deeper than I and understands advances stats far more than I do.

I enjoy reading some of the advanced analytics but I don't post much about them at all. If ever. In fact one of the only times was tonight when I referred to the analytics supporting pulling the goalie early. But that's about it.
If I have to apologize for being laid back and not losing my sh** then I don't know what to tell you. Sorry I guess?
My status as a mod should have no bearing on this. Unless we are getting back to the whole idea that Bingo and I are on the take?

So yeah please do take the time to prove whatever point you are trying to make.
Its a shame the forum only allows us to see the last 100 posts from a user because I distinctly remember you defending Elliot, Russell and a number of other plugs. No real point for me to make aside from the moderation being substantially more forgiving of bad plays than the rest of the posters.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #99
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peters

Peters was asked about the goaltending competition brewing between Cam Ward and Eddie Lack, but completely played it down and called out Lack for his terrible season, citing the fact he ranked dead-last in save percentage among 60 goaltenders who had played at least 10 games this season.

“I don’t think it’s much of a competition,” Peters said. “I think we’ve got a guy who’s well ahead of the other guy. That’s what I see and the numbers back that up. So when he gets in again he better play. He better earn some respect from your teammates. Your teammates are out there working their bag off, you better get some saves. And a timely save at the right time wouldn’t hurt.

“That’s a little bit honest, eh?”
Hmm...
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #100
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its a shame the forum only allows us to see the last 100 posts from a user because I distinctly remember you defending Elliot, Russell and a number of other plugs. No real point for me to make aside from the moderation being substantially more forgiving of bad plays than the rest of the posters.
I was never an Elliot fan
But I also barely watched that season as life got crazy
So I probably didn’t say much of anything about him
As for other plugs? If you can’t even remember it is weak of you to bring it up

I may have defended Russell but I certainly was also aware of his flaws
So please stop describing me inaccurately as a poster if you can’t back it up
I may not criticize the same players you do or defend ones you hate but that should be ok too unless you’d like to simply outline what opinions it is ok for me to have and not have. Perhaps you could provide that to the entire moderation team for us to follow