Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 4 Trailer

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #102
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the first two episodes so far. Don't get the criticism in here, I've really enjoyed it so far. Might be because I've never been a die-hard Top Gear fan but more of an occasional watcher, so I'm sure my expectations weren't as skyhigh as others'. Don't really like some segments (the American and that weird goofy killing of celebrities), but other than that, I think it's great.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #103
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

thought the 4th one was great. Really enjoyed those eco friendly monstrosities.

the 3rd was a bit meh.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Watched the first two episodes so far. Don't get the criticism in here, I've really enjoyed it so far. Might be because I've never been a die-hard Top Gear fan but more of an occasional watcher, so I'm sure my expectations weren't as skyhigh as others'. Don't really like some segments (the American and that weird goofy killing of celebrities), but other than that, I think it's great.
I think its great for the most part as well, and theres going to be criticism and I think the main reason for that is that our standards and expectations of these three are so high.

And those expectations are also wildly varied. For me, I love pretty much all of it. I love the 'three idiots/best friends travelling around the world in awesome cars and causing hijinx and mayhem' dynamic.

I also love the really well done automotive reviews. One of my favourite Top Gear pieces was the review of the Skoda Yeti. Well worth a watch if you havent seen it.

It doesnt hurt that its a car that normal people might actually buy.

I like when they take cars and do something stupid like when they drove hatchbacks to Chernobyl.

I also like when they do insanely stupid things like taking a wheat combine and turning it into a snowplow.

And their specials are amazing, Vietnam, India, Bolivia and the Polar Specials in particular were amazing despite their distinct lack of 'automotive reviews.'

I also enjoy the insane things they do like entire 'Toyota Hilux' saga. Which was just madness start to finish, yet one of the segments they're most famous for and took some of the most criticism for.

So what you get is people like me who enjoy most of the various different aspects of what these three clowns do and then you'll get others who want to know whether they get more value for their money and should buy either the Bugatti Veyron or the Rolls Royce Phantom and how fast they'll go around some arbitrary race-track and some of those people are not going to enjoy three British idiots driving lorries through Burma so they'll whine about it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 12-09-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 4 was fantastic!

Old 12-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was so much better. My wife stopped in the room and a car show with British humour is the last thing she would ever watch. She sat down for the entire enviro-car segment and couldn't stop laughing.

It was nice to have my chlamydia plant joke used, I felt vindicated. My wife disagreed, of course.

The joke about Porsche being a fancy Volkswagen reminded me of one of the old mechanics I worked with. Anytime he touched a Porsche, it was "goddamned glorified beetle!"

The whole thing felt much more natural, though I really hope they send the American into the exploded bomb before the end of the season. And obviously celebrity brain crash is still awful.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #107
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three had a few funny moments, Hammond doing donuts outside the track while the other two tried to talk made me actually laugh out loud....

Four was the best of the bunch so far, they are finding their stride...

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #108
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supposedly the Grand Tour has just surpassed GoT as the most illegally downloaded show ever.

http://fortune.com/2016/12/12/amazon...-tour-pirated/

Not surprising since it is a highly hyped show which is only available in a few countries.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #109
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Amazon Prime Video is now available in Canada!!
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 5 teaser!

And a Clarkson interview. I swear he deliberately gets plastered before these.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, this interview is great, its worth a watch. At about 5:00 or so Hammond is asked about how it feels to not be part of the BBC anymore and he indicates that they had to go out in the 'real world' and learn to do all of this stuff for themselves, but that the people they're working with are the same people they'd been working with for 14 years.

So pretty much everyone came with them.

Its like when you have that guy that thinks "Hey! I'm the only thing keeping this place running, if I leave you're going down."

And they're always wrong, because thats such a childish and inexperienced thing to think. Except in this case it was Clarkson and he was right.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #112
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really enjoyed episode 4 except for the talking/desk segments.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #113
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Grand Tour inspired me to 1. Get Amazon Prime and 2. Figure out how to download the Amazon app onto my PlayStation from Canada. I'm like a technological Luddite so that was a big deal.

I like basically everything about the Grand Tour except "the American" delivering the lame one liners while he drives around the track. Hopefully they get rid of that. But I even like Celebrity Brain Crash. I said it. The predictable stunt deaths are amusing to me.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
The Grand Tour inspired me to 1. Get Amazon Prime and 2. Figure out how to download the Amazon app onto my PlayStation from Canada. I'm like a technological Luddite so that was a big deal.

I like basically everything about the Grand Tour except "the American" delivering the lame one liners while he drives around the track. Hopefully they get rid of that. But I even like Celebrity Brain Crash. I said it. The predictable stunt deaths are amusing to me.
I thought Simon Pegg was hilarious!

Old 12-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, but the undisputed champion of predictable stunt deaths has been, and always will be, Super Dave Osborne. Not even worth trying to match.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #116
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

No Apple TV app but I got it working on my new Xbox One S. Looks great in 4K.

I'm glad they didn't raise the price of Prime, although it was already good value.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #117
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
No Apple TV app but I got it working on my new Xbox One S. Looks great in 4K.

I'm glad they didn't raise the price of Prime, although it was already good value.
I can't find a prime or Amazon app for my Xbox how did you do it?
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #118
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I can't find a prime or Amazon app for my Xbox how did you do it?
I just searched the store.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #119
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Episode #5 was excellent. They are really finding their stride. Again, the only complaint is the "Celebrity Brain Crash" was absolutely pointless. This episode's segment seems so tacked on that it's as if they have some sort of contractual obligation to do it.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Episode #5 was excellent. They are really finding their stride. Again, the only complaint is the "Celebrity Brain Crash" was absolutely pointless. This episode's segment seems so tacked on that it's as if they have some sort of contractual obligation to do it.
I actually take it as sort of the opposite, I'm guessing its a dig at Top Gear and the BBC who tended to rely heavily on celebrity guests and commentators whereas these guys are making a special point that they dont need celebrities.