Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #601
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
New update on Resistance

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...ews_181445.asp

Premiere on Oct 13th with a full season of 22 episodes

First episode synopsis
Since I missed the boat on this for Rebels (which I’m loving so far), where can I watch this in Canada as it’s released?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #602
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not too sure, they talk about it being on the disney streaming service, but I would expect that they will show it on Disney XD

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #603
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So this show is based on the new trilogy? Makes sense that they want to try and promote and cash in on the new content, but I definitely prefer the OT or even prior timelines :/

Also less chance of seeing Ahsoka?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #604
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So this show is based on the new trilogy? Makes sense that they want to try and promote and cash in on the new content, but I definitely prefer the OT or even prior timelines :/

Also less chance of seeing Ahsoka?

Where Rebels bridged the PT and the OT trilogy and in a few ways fixed some Canon mistakes between the two.

This series takes place between the OT and the ST, and follows the rise of the First Order. From what I understand this is almost going to be in a way like a spy story where they unravel the mystery of the First Order and how it came to be as powerful as it is. What I do doubt is the focus on the rise of Snoke and Ren, they might be talked about, but I don't think that they will ever be put on screen, or if they are it will be brief like Vader in Rebels. I would like to see the transition of leadership and even an introduction of Rae Sloan, and Hux's father who were pretty much the founders of the First Order, and how they were swept aside by Snoke and young Hux and Phasma.

I would like to see Phasma make an appearance and actually be competent, I don't want to see a overwhelming first order until the end of the series, but more of the manipulations and the fall of the old Empire.

Also in terms of Ashoka, I don't think she's needed in this series, or should be in it, I'd like to see her stay in the unknown regions looking for Ezra. In fact I don't really want to see any of the characters. Hera would probably be old by then, as would Zeb. Ashoka would probably be about 60.

I don't want to see Luke or a young Ben Solo or Han unless its really brief. You could show Leia politically and the founding of the resistance if you wanted to. But like Rebels, I'd love to see this story stand on its own with its own characters.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 PM   #605
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would like to see Phasma make an appearance and actually be competent, I don't want to see a overwhelming first order until the end of the series, but more of the manipulations and the fall of the old Empire.
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...tails-revealed

BB-8 is featured on the series artwork, and the main protagonist is tasked by Poe Dameron to spy on the First Order.

The snippets released so far all mention Poe and Phasma will be voiced by the actors from the new trilogy. I would expect both of them to be reoccurring characters in the series.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #606
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Polygon Pictures is doing the Resistance Animations
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...series/.134949

This is the same studio that did Aijin and Godzilla film trilogy

So I expect a completely different style of animation

Old 08-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #607
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The possible story arches for the New Clone Wars season, plus one that is for sure in there

https://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-w...lon-1827908786

Possible spoiler

Spoiler!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #608
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #609
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of the animation style. Something about it looks incomplete. Also, it looks at least partially rotoscoped (basically painting over live-action footage), which I've never really liked as a style.

Hopefully the story is good (and hopefully it will be released the same day in Canada as the States).
Old 08-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #610
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm not crazy about the animation either, and the main hero looks way to much like Ezra after he got his haircut.

But I remember when Rebels came out, I didn't like the animation style compare to the Clone Wars series

Old 08-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #611
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

A couple of resistance Tidbits, While Filoni created the show, he won't be involved in the day to day or even the creative process, he's handed that off so he can concentrate on the Clone Wars revivial.

Also looking at the credits list there aren't any of the familiar voice actors that did the Clone Wars or Rebels. However they do have Oscar Isaacs and Gwendoline Christie for what looks like cameo roles.

A couple of other things, they have Scott Lawrence best known as Sturgess Turner from Jag, but he's been the go to voice for Vader in a lot of projects, we've also got Donald Faison so maybe we run into Gary the Stormtrooper

Old 08-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #612
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Oh my God that looks unbelievably bad. I think there’s a bit of a disconnect between who watches Star Wars and who Disney thinks (or wants to) watches Star Wars. A lot of their material has been too kid friendly and a bit insulting to the audience.

Star Wars was great because the whole family could watch it. It was never overly kid friendly but it was always family friendly, if that makes sense? Rebels was geared towards kids but was at least watchable as an adult. That doesn’t look remotely watchable.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #613
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya that trailer has not peaked my interest at all. I will still give it a try though.

Rebels started out very kiddy, even though episode 1 was still bad ass when Kanaan busted out the light saber. But I think it got a lot more adult, or at least all ages, in the later seasons. Especially with all the pre trilogy and Clone Wars tie ins.

Don't get me wrong, it was a cartoon on Disney XD, it was a kids show, but like you said it was a kids show that adults could scratch an itch with.

The Ahsoka Vader duel is one of my favourite Star Wars moments ever.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #614
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ya that trailer has not peaked my interest at all. I will still give it a try though.

Rebels started out very kiddy, even though episode 1 was still bad ass when Kanaan busted out the light saber. But I think it got a lot more adult, or at least all ages, in the later seasons. Especially with all the pre trilogy and Clone Wars tie ins.

Don't get me wrong, it was a cartoon on Disney XD, it was a kids show, but like you said it was a kids show that adults could scratch an itch with.

The Ahsoka Vader duel is one of my favourite Star Wars moments ever.

Clone wars started out very kid like with the whole Ashoka calling Anakin Sky Guy and the Jabba's baby storyline. in the movie. Even the first year it was really kid friendly and it took a while to find itself, which was a hybrid kid show but really for older kids. The Umbria storyline was not kid friendly, not was for example where ventress brutally kills a clone trooper.

Rebels didn't go near as far as TCW's did mainly because of the network it played on, but it still had some absolute moments of violence that were just more sensitively done. The killing of the 7th sister, pushing the Captain of the mining crawler into a blast furnace with the Force. It was still designed to allow mothers and fathers to watch the show with their kids and that's what Star Wars is really about.

I will say though that even when Filoni crossed those death lines in Rebels they were incredibly well done and extremely meaningful. I mean Kanaan's death and the aftermaths scene was amazingly well done.

Oh for you GreenLatern

And just because I believe this was the best season ending clip ever

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-20-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #615
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

More info on Resistance.

Dave Filoni without a hat. I always assumed he was bald.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #616
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya.. still not getting there. I just don't like the timeline, I think the new trilogy timeline is my least favourite of the major three. I even enjoy prequel stuff more than the new stuff, movies included.

At least Clone Wars is coming back.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #617
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the premiere is less than 2 weeks away, it is showing up on the schedule. It will be on Disney Channel (not Disney XD, like Rebels was) at 8:00pm MT on Sunday, October 7.

I'll give it a chance, but I'm still not sold on it.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #618
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It is also going to make its way to XD eventually. I'm not going to subscribe to the Disney channel for one show.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #619
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bump

Resistance in now on Disney XD.

Its just not as good as rebels, maybe its me but the characters are pretty flat, I want to punch Neeku in the face, and there's not a real sense of menacing subplot yet.

On the plus side, the voice acting is pretty solid.

What made Rebels work even in the first season was that the characters were just really likeable and they played the shades of Grey really well.

You just get the feel that they really wanted to kiddy this one down and try to make everyone cute.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #620
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The thing that kinda irks me is the whole show so far takes place on that platform. Talk about wasted potential.

Rebels and Clone Wars, they were flying all over the place. I think they need to get off that platform ASAP. Other than that I dont mind it. Each series started off sort of child friendly and then things got more serious/intense as it went on.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote