Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Star Wars Rebels

For you Star Wars movie and Clone Wars fans, the season debuted on Friday with its first episode.

I thought it was good, but after years of watching the Clone Wars which became very dark in the end as the Republic fell, this one almost started with a very light hearted feel with the Imperials playing the mustache twirling but slightly inept villain.

Not saying I didn't like it

But after watching the men under the helmets becoming the stars of the Clone Wars, to hear stormtroopers talking like 70's surfer dudes was a little bit of a let down.

The animation work was top notch, and the heroic band gave you a Han Solo lawless feel which was good.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where can I watch this? I enjoy all star wars,films and series
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its on Disney XD.

The next episode is on Oct 12th I think
Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have yet to watch this but I remember seeing a preview, this one in fact:

And found myself thinking, why is Aladdin in Star Wars?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Everything that I saw said that it was on Friday nights. I looked for it to PVR it and could not see it. Is it on Sunday's?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The first episode was on Friday night, I think the one on the 12th might be a replay of the first one

I did like the first episode, I'm really hoping that they flesh out some Imperial characters. They were to fixated on Imperials all being thugs and monsters.

I'd love to see a story line that explains that Palpatine is very popular in the inner systems because he's the guy that ended the war, and exposed the corruption in the republic and saw the Jedi Conspiracy, and there are officers and soldiers that believe that he's doing the best for the galaxy and maybe turn a blind eye to some of the bad things.

I just think they need more then a merry band or rebels smacking around storm troopers and outsmarting the inquisitor.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I found it a really cool thing that the one big alien is based on Ralph McQuarrie's original sketch of Chewbacca.

I found the animation for the wookies horrible.

The show is a little thin, but it's a pilot. I'll give it a shot.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I think I was judging it too much based on the Clone Wars, which started as a very kid centric show and got darker and darker through the 6 years.

This show has the same kind of initial feel.

If you went back and watched the clone Wars movie and then watched Season 5 finale for example you'd go into shock at the changes.

I'm hoping the same thing here, especially when the Inquisitor gets dialed in.

I'd love to see an appearance by the Emperor, and quick glance by Vader himself.

Maybe bring some of the Clone Wars characters into it, based on spoilers, one Jedi Master makes an appearance who's been rotting in a dungeon.

I'd love to see Cade Bane make an appearance, or Ashoka Tano

Maybe some of the old Clone Troopers who are disgruntled old guys cursing at how bad the new Stormtroopers are.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My kids (5-6) lost interest in Clone Wars and I think it's because it got too dark. I really enjoyed throughout and thought it really hit its stride towards the end.

I haven't shown them Rebels yet. I really enjoyed it though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

THey must write these shows with an aging demographic in mind right? If a 8-10 year old is the key demo - in 5-6 years that kid isn't going to want to watch the same campy kid show. It's got to age with the viewer doesn't it?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Normally you'd think so.

I think Clone Wars just got darker organically because it had to get darker.

I remember thinking that the Crisis on Umbara arc was one of the darkest story lines that I can remember seeing on T.V. because of the shock that a Jedi General would willingly give himself over to the dark side.

Pong Krell: I am no longer naive enough to be a Jedi. A new power is rising. I have foreseen it.

The only thing that was darker was the clone conspiracy arc on season 6 where the clone coldly executes a Jedi during a battle.

Overall the story writing was so strong over the last three years that you could feel the despair and it almost seemed like the writers would stop and realize that they would have to write a very light story arc to balance it out.

I have high hopes for Rebels because that period between ROTS and ANH has never really been properly explored.

I always have that assumption that at least initially Palpatine was incredibly popular because he bought an end to a major war and was removing corruption.

He was the kindly benevolent seat of power who had been hideously attacked and injured by the traitorous jedi.

It wasn't until about what? 30 years later that the kindly Emperor could afford to disband the senate and really put his foot down on the necks of the people.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So Episode 2 Droids is up on Disney XD1 and broadcasts on Disney (shaw) on the 19th

Spoiler!

Oh and in the cool news

Spoiler!
Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, so this appeared to be on ABC last night as a repeat. I recorded it because I figure my oldest daughter will like it.

I'm assuming it was the first episode, with them stealing the blasters and stuff at the beginning and the kid tagging along?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It is but there's a key very cool new scene at the start that I totally marked out for.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

For those that didn't see

Spoiler!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

My son and I got caught up on these last night. Once I heard that there would the extra scene in the first episode, I wanted to wait. Man, I love Star Wars!! I loved hearing the tie fighters, which are very prominent in the first three episodes. The sounds, especially the score, are done really well.

I think this series will have legs.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think it will too, people forget that the Clone Wars series started off with a lot of complaints that it was almost too optimistic and aimed at kids, but they needed to start at the high point so that they could take things to a very disturbing place and a very dark time. If you look at season one of Clone Wars versus Season's 4 and 5 especially it was dark.

I think this series is starting the same way, its been pretty light and cheerful so far as they introduce the characters, and they feel almost unbeatable. But you can feel that the dark times are going to come with this series and fairly quickly. We haven't even seen the primary villain except for two brief conversations. Lets be serious, the Imperial Agent is a bit of a buffoon.

As well, we're going to see some pretty dark stuff going forward if the spoilers are correct. Its funny because we're on this backward world where the Empire isn't popular, but I'm betting that we will eventually see the inner worlds where Palpatine is viewed as a hero and bringer of peace and the Empire as a good thing.

I still hate that they cloned Jeff Spicolli as their stormtrooper template.

I'm still hoping that we get some answers in terms of major characters in the Clone Wars

I want to know what happened to Ashoka, Captain Rex and some of the other clone troopers. I want to see Cad Bane show up. What happen with Ventress? did Palpatine keep Maul alive? Did Hondo survive along with Aura Sing.

Did Bariss Offee become one of Palpatines servants.

Spoiler!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 10-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Well, there is nowhere to go except darkness. You have to figure that they eventually kill off Kanan and Ezra unless they somehow hide for 30+ years and show up in Episode 7.

Cap, you think Asksoka comes back? There are rumours that she lives past Order 66 since she is no longer affiliated with the Jedi Order. Would be a nice way to bring back a familiar character.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #19
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Haha, I typed my question before your ninja edit.

I am curious about all of those, especially Cad bane, he's a badass. Darth Maul as well, especially since you'd have to think it would then be Vader that kills him for good.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Well, there is nowhere to go except darkness. You have to figure that they eventually kill off Kanan and Ezra unless they somehow hide for 30+ years and show up in Episode 7.

Cap, you think Asksoka comes back? There are rumours that she lives past Order 66 since she is no longer affiliated with the Jedi Order. Would be a nice way to bring back a familiar character.
I'm assuming that we at least see her at some point. She was extremely popular at the end of Clone Wars when they gave her a cynical edge.

If I have my drothers, she went off some wear and never uses the Force again.

What I would love to see is they flash to a world with an Imperial shuttle landing and Vader gets out and walks towards a building past a older Ashoka who's eyes open wide in horror and recognition and she starts to cry. Vader senses her and turns to confront her and then turns and walks away as if she means nothing and she's not a threat.

I don't know if they'll kill Ezra or Kanan, they're series central. I would think that this rebel group will though see a lot of heart break and probably some death and in the end they realize that their rebellion is causing innocent people to suffer so they break up and go their separate ways with Kanan and Ezra vanishing into the outer rim to hide from the Inquisitor or Vader.