Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #4721
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy252 View Post
First time going to Maui next month. Any suggestions for activities/restaurants, hidden gem cheap eats etc?

The one common recommendation is to book a car to get around vs Oahu where you can get away without one.
Yes, you need a car - I always use Turo and it's cheaper and better than rental car agencies.

Sea Turtles beaching exactly at sunset here:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@20.75194...2688?entry=ttu

Haleakalā National Park drive - amazing

Snorkeling in Kapalua Bay - can buy cheap snorkel gear in like grocery stores

Lahaina is a fun town. Paia too has nice shops.

Makena Beach (Big Beach) and then the Lava fields just down the road.

Food:
Paia Fish Market
808 Deli
My Thai Maui (odd location, but great).
Old 06-20-2023, 03:03 PM   #4722
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FWIW, when I was there earlier this year Turo prices didn’t seem great compared to the rental car rates at the airport, so I went with that. Another good cheap rental car option is Kihei rent a car, they have some older but reliable Nissan Sentras, as well as other vehicles. And they have an airport shuttle. I’ve used them in the past and liked them for cheap wheels.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 03:07 PM   #4723
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is an hour and ten minutes enough time for a layover in Schiphol? Going from YYC to Netherlands, then onto another EU country.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 03:56 PM   #4724
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is an hour and ten minutes enough time for a layover in Schiphol? Going from YYC to Netherlands, then onto another EU country.
I had the same option and chose to book the next flight. Ends up being a 6 hour layover but 1:15 seems pretty tight given you are clearing customs etc. too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 05:07 PM   #4725
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schiphol has been pretty efficient every time I went through. But given travel these days....maybe?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 09:24 PM   #4726
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

To those who have been in Amsterdam recently, has it become dirty? We were there 8 years ago and loved it but a friend who just returned said it’s dirty.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #4727
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Schiphol has been pretty efficient every time I went through. But given travel these days....maybe?
I only have to clear customs once since my next destination is in Schengen. Hopefully it works out.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:45 PM   #4728
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
70 min should be fine. I believe the MCT at AMS for that type of itinerary is 60 min, although it's airline specific. KL's entire business is connecting people efficiently through AMS to and from all over the world.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 03:47 PM   #4729
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary is a Schiphol these days. No need to leave.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:06 PM   #4730
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Is the transfer KLM to KLM? If so, you should be fine. If it is KLM to some budget euro carrier, I'd be less confident.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:37 PM   #4731
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Is the transfer KLM to KLM? If so, you should be fine. If it is KLM to some budget euro carrier, I'd be less confident.

Yep KLM the whole route.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:47 PM   #4732
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

####ing hell.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/airline-p...ood/index.html

Habib Battah was flying from Paris to Toronto on Air France on June 30 when he noticed a strange smell coming from the footwell under his and his wife’s seats shortly after takeoff.

“It smelled like manure,”
he told CNN.

“I said it smells like merde – s**t. She handed me wet wipes. I started wiping and it was red – blood red. And it kept coming up red. I was like, ‘What the hell is this?’ I just wanted to see what it was. After a while, one of the flight attendants said, ‘You’d better go wash your hands, and here are some gloves.’”

The news came back from Air France HQ: it was human blood. The day before, on a Paris -Boston flight, a male passenger had suffered what Battah says the crew called a “hemorrhage.”

Air France confirmed to CNN that the liquid appears to be blood and feces.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2023, 05:44 AM   #4733
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yep KLM the whole route.
I'm pretty sure KL-KL is absolutely 60 min. They wouldn't ticket an itinerary unless you'd meet their MCT.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:32 AM   #4734
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How critical is it you make that connection flight? Are there later connection flights if you miss that one?

There are hundreds of things that could cause a delay to the first flight, it is a tight connection anywhere. But if there are later flights you can be re-accommodated to, and it wouldn’t blow apart your plans if you miss the first one, then you can take the chance. But I would be concerned if it was important I made the connection.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #4735
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
How critical is it you make that connection flight? Are there later connection flights if you miss that one?

There are hundreds of things that could cause a delay to the first flight, it is a tight connection anywhere. But if there are later flights you can be re-accommodated to, and it wouldn’t blow apart your plans if you miss the first one, then you can take the chance. But I would be concerned if it was important I made the connection.
It would inconvenience me to miss the connection, but it's not critical I suppose. There is a partner airline with a later flight.

Just hoping for a tail wind over the Atlantic
Old 07-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #4736
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to report that unlike the ****show last year trying to get passports for our kids, we had zero issues with two adult renewals. Went to Sundance on June 23, was busy in the morning but still got processed in about 1 hour 45 minutes, and we now have both passports in hand (sent separately via mail). They actually arrived ahead of schedule so I'm glad I didn't pay the extra $20 each to pick them up at Harry Hays.

I know they are moving to an online renewal process this fall but I'm glad that I'm now good until 2033!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2023, 02:48 PM   #4737
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Happy to report that unlike the ****show last year trying to get passports for our kids, we had zero issues with two adult renewals. Went to Sundance on June 23, was busy in the morning but still got processed in about 1 hour 45 minutes, and we now have both passports in hand (sent separately via mail). They actually arrived ahead of schedule so I'm glad I didn't pay the extra $20 each to pick them up at Harry Hays.

I know they are moving to an online renewal process this fall but I'm glad that I'm now good until 2033!
It really has seemed to have turned around. My wife recently renewed as well. Found a Monday morning appointment on Friday (ie next day appointment) and was in and out in less than 15 minutes. Passport arrived in the mail two weeks later.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 04:28 PM   #4738
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

I got the next day service at Harry Hays during the shutdown, it was great. I had to book a dummy flight and cancel it though.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:15 AM   #4739
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Different airport, and different airlines, but I had a 35 minute layover in Frankfurt once, Lufthansa -> Swiss Air (Star Alliance).

The 2nd flight was way across the airport, and after taking a pee and walking straight to my gate they basically closed the door of the aircraft behind me. Somehow I actually had my bag when I landed in Zurich.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:25 AM   #4740
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I had the same option and chose to book the next flight. Ends up being a 6 hour layover but 1:15 seems pretty tight given you are clearing customs etc. too.
With their good airport train, 6 hours is plenty of time to do a quick trip into the city centre for a walk around or a museum. Last time I flew through Amsterdam I visited the Van Gogh museum during the layover and it was fantastic.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: