Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #4841
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it wrong that I hope Lucic opts out for the year?
Old 12-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #4842
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Yes, because if he's going to be effective, it'll be in a short season.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #4843
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Top pairing capable? in what league? There is a difference between capability and potential. Could Hanafin become a top pairing D, yeah, I wouldn't argue against that. But I wouldn't be surprised if he never hits that height. I'm not sure many would say he is a top pairing D right now. Further, until you know what the return is, how would you know said deal is stupid? That's a pretty baseless claim.

Less than 5M/season isn't a top pairing D. He would be making 6M minimum if he was a top pairing D. Based on rumors, and Friedman just spoke about this on his hit with Stienberg, is that his name is out there. Clearly they see his spot as a top 4 D on this team as a tenuous one. With Valamaki and Mackey in the pipeline, seems like he is a nice chip the Flames can leverage to bolster the lineup elsewhere.
FWIW Hanifin was 3rd for D men in ATOI with 21:10. However, he played more minutes than any other skater last season.

I am mostly basing this on my opinion that he Andersson were arguably the Flames best pairing during the playoffs, and that it is very likely they play as the top pairing by the end of this coming season ( unless Gio defies the odds).

I get it, Hanifin is not the offensive d man that many want him to be, but he is no slouch in that category. He is second among Flames D men in shots with 132, tied for second in points with 22, and he leads the Flames D in hits 82. At 23 years old, he is only just entering his prime years. Right now he is the 2nd best D man on the Flames, Andersson being 1st ( again, unless Gio surprises everyone).
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #4844
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post

Yes, that's even worse than this already is. We get to pay him for the same remaining years except he'll now be a year older. Do you know how the opt out works?
Old 12-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #4845
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Why are so many CPers hot to get rid of Hanifin? Trading a 24-year-old top-four defenceman isn't going to help this season, and trading him for prospects is unlikely to get you an equivalent player in the future.
Sounds more like Flames management is looking to trade him. Elliotte Friedmanwas just on the air this afternoon and he mentioned that the Flames “offer” him in a lot of trades. Don’t think Elliotte said it in a way that the Flames are actively trying to get rid of him, but more so his name is out there a lot, which might surprise many, but definitely isn’t to me at least.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #4846
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yes, that's even worse than this already is. We get to pay him for the same remaining years except he'll now be a year older. Do you know how the opt out works?
That would be the teams choice and they would not ask to add on the year of service.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #4847
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That’s the teams option is it not? Can you explain to me how the opt out works?

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 12-21-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #4848
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lesson learned:

Before you make fun of someone, be sure of your facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #4849
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Top pairing capable? in what league? There is a difference between capability and potential. Could Hanafin become a top pairing D, yeah, I wouldn't argue against that. But I wouldn't be surprised if he never hits that height. I'm not sure many would say he is a top pairing D right now. Further, until you know what the return is, how would you know said deal is stupid? That's a pretty baseless claim.

Less than 5M/season isn't a top pairing D. He would be making 6M minimum if he was a top pairing D. Based on rumors, and Friedman just spoke about this on his hit with Stienberg, is that his name is out there. Clearly they see his spot as a top 4 D on this team as a tenuous one. With Valamaki and Mackey in the pipeline, seems like he is a nice chip the Flames can leverage to bolster the lineup elsewhere.
So who are the top pair in Toronto? Do either of them make 6M?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:02 PM   #4850
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say keep Hanifin, unless he can fetch a top-line C, or a future top-line C. The D looks too young and promising to mess with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #4851
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Sounds more like Flames management is looking to trade him. Elliotte Friedmanwas just on the air this afternoon and he mentioned that the Flames “offer” him in a lot of trades. Don’t think Elliotte said it in a way that the Flames are actively trying to get rid of him, but more so his name is out there a lot, which might surprise many, but definitely isn’t to me at least.
I think its far more likely other teams ask about him moreso than the Flames actively shopping him...big difference. Which shouldn't surprise anyone when you consider his age, abilities and cap hit.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #4852
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
And a year off the contract if the team chooses....no?

Lucic opting out in that case would be the best thing that could happen to this team.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #4853
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think its far more likely other teams ask about him moreso than the Flames actively shopping him...big difference. Which shouldn't surprise anyone when you consider his age, abilities and cap hit.
It could be this, but I think it is probably equally fair to suggest that Hanifin is the most valuable of the Flames potentially expendable assets. If his name is out there it is because Treliving is looking to add a significant player, which will cost significantly in return.

It is not that anyone is in a hurry to move him, rather it is the cost to add the player that Treliving covets.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:38 PM   #4854
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It could be this, but I think it is probably equally fair to suggest that Hanifin is the most valuable of the Flames potentially expendable assets. If his name is out there it is because Treliving is looking to add a significant player, which will cost significantly in return.

It is not that anyone is in a hurry to move him, rather it is the cost to add the player that Treliving covets.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I really feel like Tre has a few big fish in mind, and the return would involve a player like Hanifin. I can really see a push for a play-driving C.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:44 PM   #4855
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone that thinks Gio isn’t still the team’s best all around defenseman (and by a mile) is way too caught up in the old and expensive = bad mindset that plagues so many hockey fans these days. The guy’s a year removed from being unanimously voted the best defenseman in the league and even with a bad year last year still led the team in d scoring and led the team in every relevant fancy stat.

Andersson is a decent guy, but he’ll be at or just slightly above expectations if he can ever even contribute at the same level that Gio just did in a down year.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #4856
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I really feel like Tre has a few big fish in mind, and the return would involve a player like Hanifin. I can really see a push for a play-driving C.
I get the feeling Hamonic might come back and with how highly I think of Valimaki I think we could survive without Hanifin. The coaching staff seem pretty high on Mackey as well..

Gio-Andersson
Valimaki-Tanev
Kylington-Hamonic
Nesterov

Mackey-Yelesin
Poolman-Petrovic

I think it wouldn’t really negatively impact us unless numerous injuries struck.

It’s a major risk but we have had impressive veteran defensive depth for years and what has it gotten us?

We need more help on forward and I have a lot of hope for Valimaki, Andersson, Mackey and Kylington.

Having too many left shot dman is going to continue stunt the development of someone that could be playing sheltered minutes on the bottom pairing. Having too many will leave one sitting on the sidelines instead of playing vital minutes needed to get better.

Don’t get me wrong I do strongly believe in competition but Kylington probably should have been playing ahead of guys like Fantenburg and Forbort the last couple years. I understand why and that’s why Tanev is such an underrated add - we have a guy that can be a big PK tough mins dman and not need to be sheltered on the bottom pairing.

I think we could realistically keep the band together this year but if we truly intend to develop guys like Mackey, Kylington, Yelesin, Kinnvall etc. we need to give them NHL minutes.

Last edited by SeanCharles; 12-22-2020 at 12:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 01:10 AM   #4857
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mackey is good, but he's not displacing anyone in the top 4 for a few years yet.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:12 AM   #4858
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Nesterov
Kylington

PP:
I can definitely see by maybe mid season Nesterov anchoring the point on the 1st unit. I think a lot of ppl aren't paying this player enough attention.

We shall see but I think Nesterov is a lock for a top 6 spot unless Kylington blows the roof off of the dome.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:15 AM   #4859
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
So who are the top pair in Toronto? Do either of them make 6M?
Okay, there’s one team. Want to go down the list?
Old 12-22-2020, 06:18 AM   #4860
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Mackey is good, but he's not displacing anyone in the top 4 for a few years yet.
True. But there are only 2 LH D spots in the top four. My bet is by the start of next season it will be Gio and Valamaki. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Mackey playing on the 3rd pair.

Last edited by TOfan; 12-22-2020 at 06:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread