Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #21
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It's so frustrating when people read part of a thread and think they can have the final say on things.
You are correct, and that's exactly what you are guilty of. The thread starts by referring to possible available players from "bottom-feeders " and then lists players from TB.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #22
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, you can make the implication....if you don't read the entire post. If you read the entire post it says:

" I am going to start with the current bottom-3 in each division and we can modify as the season progresses or as needed."

So again, you may begin reading it and say to yourself "self, there is no way Tampa is a bottom feeding team" but then you would, or at least should keep reading and then calm yourself by saying "self, these are just the current bottom teams and we can modify the list as the season progresses just like it says at the end of the post. I'm glad I didn't jump to any conclusions before reading the entire post"
Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Yes, you can make the implication....if you don't read the entire post. If you read the entire post it says:

" I am going to start with the current bottom-3 in each division and we can modify as the season progresses or as needed."

So again, you may begin reading it and say to yourself "self, there is no way Tampa is a bottom feeding team" but then you would, or at least should keep reading and then calm yourself by saying "self, these are just the current bottom teams and we can modify the list as the season progresses just like it says at the end of the post. I'm glad I didn't jump to any conclusions before reading the entire post"
Not saying I took it that way, but that's where the impression by some posters comes from. And juxtaposing "maybe players can be gotten from bottom feeding teams" and then making a list of teams with players seems to me to lead to a natural conclusion that, at least right now, those are the teams being referred to at the outset.

That all said, I think that the question is not usually bottom feeding teams. It's bubble teams.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #24
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would like Vatrano
Stauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #25
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauner View Post
I would like Vatrano
If the price is right I would never say no to an upgrade, but I hope the Flames' focus is on a RHS RW in the right age group.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #26
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
TBF, the post talks about getting players from "bottom feeding teams", before making the lists. It doesn't actually say "and these are bottom feeding teams" but you can make the implication.
Mea culpa on that wording, but I intended it to be a more consistent tracking of the standings and who might be thinking of selling, and what they could offer us. I thought I should base or qualify the bottom feeding teams on results, and Tb had a bad start so they wound up on the list. They are very likely to play themselves off of future weekly updates.

I am open to suggestions, subtractions or additions for other players we could target from listed teams. I intended that list to be a starting point that would be refined with feedback/monitoring of stats and standings to then narrow down on a scope if logical "buy-low" targets.

Perhaps an addition should be made on team needs as well. I made the list with potential top-6 contributing forwards but as the season progresses the need may change (injuries, player development, etc)

My current favourite targets are toffoli or maybe eric staal.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Mea culpa on that wording, but I intended it to be a more consistent tracking of the standings and who might be thinking of selling, and what they could offer us. I thought I should base or qualify the bottom feeding teams on results, and Tb had a bad start so they wound up on the list. They are very likely to play themselves off of future weekly updates.

I am open to suggestions, subtractions or additions for other players we could target from listed teams. I intended that list to be a starting point that would be refined with feedback/monitoring of stats and standings to then narrow down on a scope if logical "buy-low" targets.

Perhaps an addition should be made on team needs as well. I made the list with potential top-6 contributing forwards but as the season progresses the need may change (injuries, player development, etc)

My current favourite targets are toffoli or maybe eric staal.
No problems - I understood it fine, though I do think we are a tad early to even think about who the teams will be (aside from the usual suspects, who have largely been bled dry anyway). I wish the deadline was earlier.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boy do I ever still want Jason Zucker
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mentioned it earlier in the tread, but I had no idea he was UFA at the end of the year.

What do people think Toffoli is worth as a rental? Can't see LA being in it.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #30
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd take a crack at Corey Perry this offseason.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #31
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated the OP for 10/21/2019 as many teams approach the 10 game mark. Weekly updates will occur mondays or tuesdays.

Interesting that a couple of divisions had no changes at all to the bottom 3 teams. The only team that effectively climbed out of this was, as predicted, TB. CBJ is not officially in bottom 3 any more, but theres a strong possibility they will be back next update- they did not climb out very far.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #32
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Updated the OP for 10/21/2019 as many teams approach the 10 game mark. Weekly updates will occur mondays or tuesdays.

Interesting that a couple of divisions had no changes at all to the bottom 3 teams. The only team that effectively climbed out of this was, as predicted, TB. CBJ is not officially in bottom 3 any more, but theres a strong possibility they will be back next update- they did not climb out very far.
Arizona 9 pts in 7 games Flames 11 pts in 10 games. Ariz has only lost pts to Anaheim, boston and 1 pt to Colorado.

So if you are looking at Ariz as a bottom feeder then you have to think that the Flames would be on the list as well...

Brodie, Hamonic, Bennett, would be guys that would be bargain guys that would generate some interest.

But if you are including Stephan and Dvorak on the Yotes list maybe have to consider Backlund and Hanifin as well on the Flames list.

PS. Just messing with you ........... but if the Flames are a bubble team like they are now after 20. then they will have to decide if Hamonic and Brodie are playoff rentals for the Flames, will be signed long term or playoff rentals for another team.

PPS checked again and the Flames are 6th in the pacific (by winning Pct) right after a big win against the Ducks. 6th is also known as bottom 3.

Last edited by ricardodw; 10-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #33
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I'd take a crack at Corey Perry this offseason.
Yikes, he's a shell now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yikes, he's a shell now.
Hey, he's PPG this season (only 3 games LOL).

Seriously - why? I don't see where he fits on this team and what its trying to do. The only good thing would be that Anaheim would be paying him to play here.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #35
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Perry’s goal to play as close as possible to SoCal? I can’t imagine Calgary is even in consideration.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #36
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Arizona 9 pts in 7 games Flames 11 pts in 10 games. Ariz has only lost pts to Anaheim, boston and 1 pt to Colorado.

So if you are looking at Ariz as a bottom feeder then you have to think that the Flames would be on the list as well...

Brodie, Hamonic, Bennett, would be guys that would be bargain guys that would generate some interest.

But if you are including Stephan and Dvorak on the Yotes list maybe have to consider Backlund and Hanifin as well on the Flames list.

PS. Just messing with you ........... but if the Flames are a bubble team like they are now after 20. then they will have to decide if Hamonic and Brodie are playoff rentals for the Flames, will be signed long term or playoff rentals for another team.

PPS checked again and the Flames are 6th in the pacific (by winning Pct) right after a big win against the Ducks. 6th is also known as bottom 3.
The Flames are currently 4/8 in the pacific- I have been updating the list based on real standings not winning percentage.

The flames have not had a good start, which is pretty much the entire premise of this post/ list existing- to target a potential impact player from another slow starting/struggling team that could come in and change the fortunes of our forward core. Even if Calgary was in the bottom 3 in the Pacific, I wouldn't include them because this list is to identify trade targets. We clearly can't trade with ourselves.

More towards the point (I think?) of your post, I agree and believe that all players you listed should be considered in trades if it actually improves this team. I find it doubtful that we would get good enough value out of a bennett trade to make it worthwhile, and I don't think we have a similar D-man to Hamonic that could fill that void- but that's not to say I wouldn't trade them under the right conditions.

Gio-Johnny-Mony-Lindy-Tkachuk-Rittich are my untouchables (at least until the end of season.)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #37
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames are currently 4/8 in the pacific- I have been updating the list based on real standings not winning percentage.

The flames have not had a good start, which is pretty much the entire premise of this post/ list existing- to target a potential impact player from another slow starting/struggling team that could come in and change the fortunes of our forward core. Even if Calgary was in the bottom 3 in the Pacific, I wouldn't include them because this list is to identify trade targets. We clearly can't trade with ourselves.

More towards the point (I think?) of your post, I agree and believe that all players you listed should be considered in trades if it actually improves this team. I find it doubtful that we would get good enough value out of a bennett trade to make it worthwhile, and I don't think we have a similar D-man to Hamonic that could fill that void- but that's not to say I wouldn't trade them under the right conditions.

Gio-Johnny-Mony-Lindy-Tkachuk-Rittich are my untouchables (at least until the end of season.)
I would probably consider throwing Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki in that group if only because of their potential and importance to our blueline, now and in the future.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post: