Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #101
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've heard rumors

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #102
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It was funny to me, because they were initially on the right road with Hux, he came across as a weasel in the first movie, but a semi competent one, who wasn't afraid to talk back to Ren, or even go around him.

He built the Star Killer base, made an impassioned leadership type of speech and blew away the Republic.

He basically tells Ren to get stuffed a couple of times during the chase for the map.

He sells the Supreme leader on using the Star Killer to wipe out the resistance and gives Ren a F U I'm the man here.

Maybe the destruction of Star Killer base gave him a stroke, because then he becomes a bumbling idiot minutes later at the start of the second movie and a punch line for a lot of the jokes.

Even in the novelization of the TLJ there was a swing in narrative as the internal dialogue of the officers around him were "Yeah, he's going to fall flat on his face and die and I'm going to take his place, because he is like the worst Don Knots type of idiot in the fleet". The only thing missing was him tripping over Snoke's body to Benny Hill movie in TLJ.

God that first battle scene was terrible, from the Hugs crap, to the logic of it, to the whole BB-8 trying to fix the ship because somehow electricity in a GFFA works like a leaking damn
It's just baffling to me, that they would try and present a character like Hux as a leader in the New Order. It's an organization that is supposedly taking the galaxy by storm and has enough resources to build a Star Killer base...but it's led by somebody who is in his early to mid 30s and totally incompetent.

Compare that to the original trilogy, where we see a true power dynamic between clearly qualified individuals. Vader strangles a general he disagrees with but is then silenced by Tarkin. It's also amazing that the original trilogy began over 40 years ago. Yet many of the sets and uniforms look far more authentic then most modern movies.

TLJ replaced the well thought out structure of the Empire present in TOS, with a "Yo Moma" joke.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #103
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really liked the idea of the First Order as presented by JJ Abrahms

Quote:
"That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again? What could be born of that? Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn't get done?" ―J.J. Abrams[src]

Its such a solid concept and a great premise. However, whether unintentional or not, they actually showed what would happen. For the most part the truly competant Nazi leaders were dead at the end of WW2 or capture, so the escaping ones would have been minor officials, or inexperienced or incompetent.

I would expect that many of the Empires best and brightest and most ambitious were killed on the second death Star or the Executor when it crashed into the Death Star. So in the end in theory the men and woman that went to the unknown regions were probably the biggest morons in the Empire with a few exceptions. The main competent ones, that probably got the ball rolling on the First Order were Grand Admiral Sloan and Hux's father, Brendal.

So they set out to rebuild the Empire and it got its name the First Order from Sloane who's first order was to rebuild the Empire and do it right.

So they had enough resources to start to take worlds and forge alliances, they also raised funds through the underground. So far so good. A couple of competent leaders, taking time to expand things.

Here's where it went wrong though, the Peter Principle in Space. They found Snoke, and I'm thinking the idea was simply that he was a powerful force user and an Empire needs an Emperor. So they gave the job to Snoke, and he promptly replaced any competant offficers and leaders with boobs. He knocked off Sloane as she was a threat, got rid of Hux Sr and because he liked the cut of his son's jib, he was a completely untrained but loyal nazi. They found Phasma, and because she was a shiny bully she came on board and then they recruited Ren. They weren't competent but they were loyal, and the reason why the First Order became a threat was because there was an organization in the galaxy that was staffed by even more idiots, and that was the Republic.

Basically though with Hux, he was the ultimate Nazi climber, and you saw lots of those in WW2. He basically inherited his dads idea of storm troopers from birth, and he made them his power base. He had no formal military training at all, he just had a power base.

He looked like a space nazi and talked like a space nazi and hitler/Snoke liked those kind of guys that he could intimidate with one hand and reward with power with the other.

Frankly when you look at the leadership of the First Order, I'm amazed that they didn't spend a few hours each morning looking for they keys to their space fleet.

Hux - No experience, but a proper space nazi
Ren - Emotionally stunted, not very smart strategically, but has the force
Phasma - Just so stupid
Snoke - Even stupider and more arrogant then Palpatine.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:58 PM   #104
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually kinda like what RJ was trying to do with the technology in TLJ. I think he was kinda taking a jab at the prequel trilogy. Those movies almost canonized the fact that technology is in a state of decline in the galaxy, by showing such improvement over the original trilogy that came 20 some years later.

RJ showing rickety bombers slow moving bombers and unstable land speeders was probably trying to signal that through 60 some years of civil wars the fundamental underpinnings of the galaxy are falling apart at the seams.

Probably the biggest suspension of disbelief we should need to over come with the bombers is where all the oxygen came from.

Last edited by #-3; 07-31-2018 at 11:01 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 PM   #105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always said that the technology didn't decline, between the PT and the OT, the requirements shifted and evolved.

While you had things like Naboo Star Fighters that were more art then fighters, and ships with a look at the side of the art of ship building. The Jedi Cruisers were beautiful to me and a really pretty design and had bright paintwork. You had clone troopers with colors and etching and command capes. You had pistols that were chrome. Even when you looked at Coruscant and Naboo and the other worlds technology had an appealing look.

Under the Empire technology became deadlier, death stars, huge star destroyers, but all of the individualism and the art of technology was gone. Stormtrooper armor was all stark white and the individualism of the armor was gone. Star Destroyers were plain white. Tie Fighters weren't designed to look pretty like the Jedi Star Fighters.

Modern technology also became more the property of those in power. The normal people had technology but it had a battered well used worn out look to it. The Falcon, the speeders, even the ships of the rebel alliance looked piece meal and taped together.

But the technology took a step ahead in terms of its weaponization.

Even in Rebels, you look at the light sabres that Kanaan and Ashoka and Ezra used, they were customized and pretty and bright. The light sabres of the Inquisitors looked the same and had a mass produced feel to them.

The other theory is that after cvilization has been around for several thousand years, technology doesn't leap forward at all, it crawls and is refined but no new breakthroughs happen as those civilizations are trapped by their education and evolution.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1024717847958892545

Chewie, Finn, and Rey? -- Falcon cockpit?

Last edited by getbak; 08-02-2018 at 01:58 AM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #107
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Come on JJ, fix what is broken!!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They could do the Dallas fix

Imagine

Quote:
Episode IX

"The New Jedi Order

"The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.
"Only General Leia Organa’s band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny, certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return and restore a spark of hope to the fight.
"But the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape...."

Then the scene shows a planet, and the Millenium Falcon jumping out of Hyperspace. The camera spirals inside and we see Ray lying on a bunk, nearby Chewie is playing with himself in the dark . . . . errr playing a one person game of that weirdo chess game. Suddenly Rey begins to moan and thrash in her bed and then sits up with a start breathing heavily.

Chewie - "Marrraw"

Rey - "No it was just a nightmare"

Chewie - "Raxxxxxxx"

Rey - "I had this horrible dream that I ran into Luke and he refused to train me, and the Resistance fleet was being chased by the first order, but it was really dumb"

Chewie - "Snuff Snuff Snuff"

Rey - "Yeah it does sound horrible, and really badly written as well, but we're here lets find Luke"

Moments later Chewie and Leia are standing in front of Luke, Rey is holding out the lightsaber

Luke - "Thank god, when the space drycleaner lost my robes and this I thought I would lose it forever, I sense the force in you, and I have a compulsion to make you a jedi"

Chewie - "Narrgggh"

Rey - "What does I'll be in my bunk mean . . . oh gross"

Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #109
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Grateful for @rianjohnson...for participating in the most expensive version of the Telephone Game in human history. You will always be my Purple Monkey Dishwasher."
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #110
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still don't get it.

The Last Jedi was just good Star Wars, particularly the back half of the movie was just great moment upon great moment for me.

Not over using the porgs,

Rey running away from Luke,

The hopeless moment of unarmed heros being shot down,

Kylo killing Snoke,

R2D2 replaying the hologram from A New Hope,

The Light Saber Fight,

Rey thinking she had turned Kylo and Kylo still believing he could turn Rey

Using hyper drive as a weapon,

The visuals of salt flats ontop of ironoxide regolith,

Phasma dying so we don't have to deal with that stupid forced rivalry anymore

Luke fulfilling the force projection Kylo alluded to early in the movie with the result Kylo anticipated,

Luke hallucinating the double sunset

Rey ironically needing to lift rocks and stuff to finally be the one who saves the day.

Reducing the Heroes and villains down to a small limited conflict on the edge of a wider Galaxy, so that the next movie will have the opportunity to redefine everything.

As for the first half, who cares. a slightly slow start and a wasted diversion, hardly the first time either of those have happened in Star Wars.

I was more bothered by Awakens, when JJ basically to every desire of the common fan, and escalated the scale of the conflict beyond the control of the next guy, forcing him to rein it in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #111
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too enjoyed TLJ. A few scenes bugged me here and there, but overall I thought it was a quality film. I especially loved what Johnson did with Luke's story arc, and I thought Mark Hamill knocked it out of the park. The Rey/Kylo scenes were also well done with solid performances from both actors, particularly Daisy Ridley. And I agree, the lightsaber battle in the throne room was pretty badass.

I also enjoyed Luke's reunion with R2 on the Falcon, and Luke and Leia saying their goodbyes was beautifully done.

Last but not least, the entire scene with Yoda was fantastic and easily the most Star Wars-ey scene in the whole movie. Everything about that scene worked: using the puppet for Yoda and bringing back Frank Oz, the music, the dialogue, Hamill's performance-- that's what Star Wars is supposed to feel like.

I get that some fans didn't like the movie, and that's cool. Movies are subjective, and other than Empire Strikes Back, SW fans will never agree on anything. But I've been seeing a lot of silly crap online over the last few months, like people starting petitions to have TLJ removed from canon, Rian Johnson getting death threats, or Kelly Marie Tran (Rose) getting harassed and bullied online so badly that she had to delete all her accounts. That stuff is beyond insane. Sometimes SW fans can really be the suckiest bunch of sucks.

Last edited by direwolf; 08-03-2018 at 11:12 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #112
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know, I'm really cool with people who like the ST, I'm cool with people that don't like the ST, movies are subjective based on peoples tastes.

I've said it in the past, while the acting and effects are good, the ST suffers from poor story and a sense of disconnection with the OT.

I really don't understand people that go as crazy as they do about movies like Star wars or the MCU for example, if a movie is causing that much hatred, its time to stop watching them.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #113
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'll just leave this here.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #114
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed TLJ as a stand alone film. Aside from the Rose and Finn stupidity, it was a fun fast paced movie with some really cool scenes and a satisfying conclusion.

My issue is with how it fit into a trilogy. There is no pay off for anything built up in TFA and the ending had no cliff hanger or really anything to get me excited for Episode IX.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #115
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It really just bugs me talking about RJ breaking the trilogy, JJ coming back to fix it.

There is this trend of people wanting to take ownership of an artistic license they do not have.

Like the movie hate the movie I don't care, but don't tell me about some wild plot twist you had in mind from an obscure comic book 20 years ago. And don't tell me he ruined your imagined plot for a movie that hasn't come out yet, by killing off the wrong character or not having ObiWans Great Grandniece in the movie.

Being critical of a movie for what it is not is just unfair. similar to those who complain that movies do not hold up to the books their based on, it just doesn't add any useful information to the quality of the movie.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #116
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I enjoyed TLJ as a stand alone film. Aside from the Rose and Finn stupidity, it was a fun fast paced movie with some really cool scenes and a satisfying conclusion.

My issue is with how it fit into a trilogy. There is no pay off for anything built up in TFA and the ending had no cliff hanger or really anything to get me excited for Episode IX.
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. It did absolutely nothing to get me excited for the next movie. Kylo Ren will be defeated and the First Order will fall. End of story.

It didn't really satisfy any of the questions I had from TFA either. Finn's out, is he going to make it? Oh yeah he's fine he'll just go on some goof ball walk in a daze with water flowing everywhere.

Who is Snoke and how did he rise to power? Lol jk he's not important.

Rey kisses Finn, love story? Nope, Rey likes Poe now and Finn and Rose love each other.

It just seems way too out of place for me. I'm hoping they don't try to fix everything with the new movie and create an even bigger and dumber mess.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #117
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. It did absolutely nothing to get me excited for the next movie. Kylo Ren will be defeated and the First Order will fall. End of story.

It didn't really satisfy any of the questions I had from TFA either. Finn's out, is he going to make it? Oh yeah he's fine he'll just go on some goof ball walk in a daze with water flowing everywhere.

Rey kisses Finn, love story? Nope, Rey likes Poe now and Finn and Rose love each other.

It just seems way too out of place for me. I'm hoping they don't try to fix everything with the new movie and create an even bigger and dumber mess.
Lol. I knew that the first time I saw the TFA trailer. I knew it when they announced they were making a new trilogy. I knew it before Lucas even sold to Disney.

And yet I’m still excited for all the movies.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #118
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

In terms of the links between TFA and TLJ, there was actually a jarring disconnect between the two movies.

I would agree, TLJ as a standalone movie if you replace Luke with a jedi named Nermi Dashboard a bitter ex jedi would have been better. When Mark Hamill is disagreeing with how Luke was portrayed in TLJ you have to wonder.

It's like when you build a house and the boards just don't like up so the doors don't close completely and the windows creak.

I also think that they just haven't made the villains enough of a threat, instead at every corner the first order is just incredibly incompetent and Kylo just is a weak uber villain.

What worked with Star Wars in the OT was that realistically the Empire was a major threat throughout the series.

I mean you look at it this way. The Empire builds a super weapon and destroys a planet, during the final battle they basically beat the crap out of the rebels, but the force intervenes. Even though the Death Star gets blown up, they completely beat the ever loving crap out of the rebellion for the full next movie.

Then in Jedi, the Empire basically is dominant, without losing a beat they build another death star, during the final battle up until the last 20 minutes of the movie, they were creaming the Rebels.

In TFA, you can argue that the Empire started sort of strong, blew up a system, then proceeded to get their arse kicked. Then in the second movie, they continue to fumble around badly losing dreadnaughts, and then their fleet, plus their supreme cool leader turns out to be a completely arrogant idiot. At least with Palpatine they waited for the final throw of the dice, here they just threw him away, and you don't buy that Kylo is capable of leading an empire.

As a stand alone, its ok, as a comparison to the OT its far from perfect, as the middle part of a trilogy it just doesn't connect with the first movie. And this has nothing to do with the old or new EU.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #119
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BTW I'm reading through the Thrawn book that was just released, and I think its the last EU book that I'm going to just go out and buy and read.

The new EU is just filled with books that are poorly written and just are actually really boring and 2 dimensional.

When you look at the legends EU, there were a lot of bad books, but they weren't consistently releasing bad book after bad book. With the new EU from Aftermath right through to the books or Tarkin, Rebels and now the Thrawn series, they're just not great.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #120
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new EU books are awful. I understand why they made everything after episode VI non-canon but they really should have kept the old EU books as canon for everything VI and before. The Darth Plagueis book was my favourite. A few of the Vader ones were really good as well.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:

Tags
nerd rage