Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #241
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I will admit this trailer has me somewhat hooked again though.
oh I'm super hooked now. I'm an unabashed TFA fan, flaws and all, because it had plenty of holy crap that's awesome moments that just stick in your brain. Rey flipping over the TIE fighter is going into the pantheon alongside Kylo stopping the blaster bolt.

maybe lowered expectations are the best thing that could happen going into this finale.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #242
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

r/PrequelMemes is blowing up
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #243
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ren and Rey are totally brother and sister.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #244
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Ren and Rey are totally brother and sister.

Nah

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #245
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

add on goofier

Spoiler!

Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #246
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a crazy thought one time that Rey is actually Shmi Skywalker who somehow gets sent back in time after she becomes pregnant with Anakin. Ren is his own great-grandfather.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not introduce time travel to the Star Wars Universe, or they'll find a way to reboot it like Start Trek and claim alternate universe tripe.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #248
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The Palpatine laugh at the end really had me freaking out. That was really cool and completely unexpected, like when Yoda showed up in TLJ.

Small trailer but listening to the panel and watching that, I am looking forward to the movie. Billy D's quote about how Lando "never left him" had me smiling.

Looking forward to this one.. but first, End Game!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #249
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Nah

Spoiler!

I think they may be. Also, Rose and Poe are totally gonna hook up.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #250
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine if we never see Rose again. They don't even have to explain it. Didn't see her in this trailer at all.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #251
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm on the Skywalker as a title bandwagon, makes sense to me. If Ray was a Skywalker I don't think they'd have used that in the title.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #252
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has the Skywalker family not been directly responsible for enough Galactic strife?

Leave the Galaxy alone you heartless bastards!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #253
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Has the Skywalker family not been directly responsible for enough Galactic strife?

Leave the Galaxy alone you heartless bastards!

The Skywalker family is personally responsible for the death of billions

Anakin skywalker/Vader probably killed billions at Alderaan
Luke killed millions on the first Death Star
Luke was responsible for the deaths of millions on the second Death Star
Kylo Ren was involved in the death of probably billions when Star Killer base fired.

Sure other people might have pulled the trigger, but frankly the Skywalkers were front and center.

You can say bad things about Palpatine, but the Skywalkers have a ton of blood on their hands.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #254
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
What a convoluted mess of a trilogy. They never had a coherent vision at all.
They just threw Lucas' suggestions in the trash and said we'll let three big name director each do their own thing with their own ideas and tones (Until of course they decided to not risk trevorrow and give it back to JJ). How could that possibly go wrong?

Johnson treating the middle chapter like an ending really messed with the whole trilogy arc. Now they have to (presumably) resurrect some big bad in some form to make the final chapter exciting because Kylo doesn't have the menace to carry a film as the sole big bad.

I do hope that laugh means we get Palpatine in the flesh (I think it just means were getting some Sith ghosts), I just hope that the explanation for it isn't too much of an eyebrow raiser.

One thing they can at least undo from TLJ rather easily is make Rey's parentage significant. Could be as simple as Kylo lied or was deceived about it.

She could be a descendant of Palpatine, hence his involvement. Or tied to Anakin somehow, but not through luke/leia. Maybe there was some secret Darth Vader coitus or cloning that we will learn about.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #255
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just for fun. The Telos Holocron

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Telos_Holocron

Quote:
"All that we know, we shall share freely with you. All we ask in return is that you keep an open mind, and use this knowledge for the benefit of only one being: yourself. It is not out of greed that we ask this of you, but out of respect. Of all those who might have stumbled upon this device, no one is more deserving of our knowledge than you." ―Darth Sidious, holocron gatekeeper[src]

Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #256
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
One thing they can at least undo from TLJ rather easily is make Rey's parentage significant. Could be as simple as Kylo lied or was deceived about it.

She could be a descendant of Palpatine, hence his involvement. Or tied to Anakin somehow, but not through luke/leia. Maybe there was some secret Darth Vader coitus or cloning that we will learn about.
The temptation to do this just bothers the hell out of me, and it continues to defy my understanding, why people are opining for this?

Sometime the world can just be bigger than what we see one screen, the more they need to provide a minute detailed little explanation of the crap the smaller and flatter the universe feels.

In fantasy there is something beautiful and fulfilling about the idea that the universe does stuff because that's the way it needs to be (like endowing seeming nobodies like Rey and Anikin with grand power). Then the ability to contrast that with Luke who was clearly born into greatness. I think if Rey is Lukes long lost half sister and the great grand daughter of Palpatine it becomes a bad analogy for the divine right of kings, and violates every instinct I have about what the star wars universe has been and should be about.

Kilo doubling down on his badness and showing that he cannot be turned. And Rey existing just because the universe needs her to exist. These are exactly the stakes this conflicts needs.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #257
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kylo has already shown a soft spot for Rey (I suspect a small crush and it isn't boding well for how threatening he is) and also couldn't fire on his ma-ma. That was very recent.

He'd have to have quite a turn of character one film later. Would only make sense if there's several year gap between them. I think we would need to see him experience something that "turns" him beyond redemption, and losing to force projection Luke isn't a good enough reason.

I think the reason why there is any pining for Rey's background having significance is because it's been stated by LF that these 9 Episodes are about the Skywalkers specifically, and is telling their story, which is culminating in the final episode. The next trilogy won't be related to them, and can star entirely new nobodies (hopefully with little to no character tie-ins to old ones because it'll be based in a very different time), but this last episode is the conclusion to the Skywalker saga, so you might as well tie it up in a nice bow by making Rey related, or a "product" of the skywalkers past doings. To represent some sort of karmic symbolism and be the one to end the Skywalker bloodline.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #258
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Kylo has already shown a soft spot for Rey (I suspect a small crush and it isn't boding well for how threatening he is) and also couldn't fire on his ma-ma. That was very recent.

He'd have to have quite a turn of character one film later. Would only make sense if there's several year gap between them. I think we would need to see him experience something that "turns" him beyond redemption, and losing to force projection Luke isn't a good enough reason.

I think the reason why there is any pining for Rey's background having significance is because it's been stated by LF that these 9 Episodes are about the Skywalkers specifically, and is telling their story, which is culminating in the final episode. The next trilogy won't be related to them, and can star entirely new nobodies (hopefully with little to no character tie-ins to old ones because it'll be based in a very different time), but this last episode is the conclusion to the Skywalker saga, so you might as well tie it up in a nice bow by making Rey related, or a "product" of the skywalkers past doings. To represent some sort of karmic symbolism and be the one to end the Skywalker bloodline.
It would still just be a terrible conclusion that hollows out the universe for nothing more that adding a neat little link to wookiepedia for fan boys. She's nothing, shes nobody, her parents were filthy junk traders, and still she was able to take up the mantle of Jesus Immaculate Comception Skywalker, and his son, and his grandson. That's a story, and still and ending the the Skywalker saga

Kylo looked redemption in the face and turned his back, it was the single best villain move in star wars history, and the reversal of that will just be sad to see, Kylo should die as the big bad, anything else will just feel like back tracking on a great moment.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #259
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

All I want is Sith JarJar
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #260
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
It would still just be a terrible conclusion that hollows out the universe for nothing more that adding a neat little link to wookiepedia for fan boys. She's nothing, shes nobody, her parents were filthy junk traders, and still she was able to take up the mantle of Jesus Immaculate Comception Skywalker, and his son, and his grandson. That's a story, and still and ending the the Skywalker saga

Kylo looked redemption in the face and turned his back, it was the single best villain move in star wars history, and the reversal of that will just be sad to see, Kylo should die as the big bad, anything else will just feel like back tracking on a great moment.

I liked the justification for Kylo finally going fully to the dark side. All the past, the Jedi, the Sith, the Republic the empire, its caused nothing but pain and suffering, it all has to go.

Its very Sith like.

His path of destruction is all in the name of a greater goal, he's not just a bezerker anymore.

What I'm hoping is that he's no longer a pouty teenager in the next movie, and he's not evil for evil's sake.

In Dark Lord the novel which is excellent, Sidious is thinking about Vader who is still struggling with his decisions and he plainly says to himself that the Jedi died out because of their lack of understanding.

That the phrase that Yoda used "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering" was fundamentally wrong.

That a Sith has to learn to use those emotions to get passed his own morality in pursuit of a higher goal. For Palpatine he pursued power for a higher goal. He wanted an orderly and peaceful galaxy where the strong ruled over the weak because not only was that how it should be, but when you allow the weak power it leads to suffering.

For Vader, he never quite got to that point of understanding because he was imprisoned by the fact that he could never get truly passed the decisions that he made.

With Ren, he was very much the same as Vader until that moment after he killed Snoke and he literally figured got passed his own morality in pursuit of the goal of destroying the things in the past that made things worse.

I would hope that in the next movie Ren has spent a few years not just pursuing Rey and the Rebels, but pursuing power.

Tags
nerd rage