Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #1061
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
yeah me too, but I can't stay away from it.

Maybe its like that car wreck with bodies under the sheet that you have to stare at it as you slowly drive by.

Or maybe it makes us all feel a little bit better about the type of people that we are, because we don't think we're capable of the acts that we are reading about, or the decisions that are made.

I don't know.
I keep reading it hoping that one day, I'll finally snap and decide to do something to make the world better, instead of just sitting back and watching the worst of the worst get worse. My current strategy--spewing copious quantities of CO2 in hopes of submerging Florida--is taking too long.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #1062
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Stupid question:

Shouldn't a 5 year old have some sort of idea of how life/death/pain works? Regardless of other negligence, this kid is clearly messed up right? I have a 5 year old nephew who has a baby brother and while he can be a bit innocently ignorant of how his playfulness maybe isn't well received by his little brother, I can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't understand that smashing a baby's head is ok.
Well I presume your nephew understands right from wrong, based on the actsion of the mother, I don't think this six year old was taught those things.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #1063
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In fairness, in this thread most of the planet is just fine, I think we need to re-name it to: "I Dont Want to Live in Florida Anymore."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #1064
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

So we're just at a point now where we know these men are committing crimes, but we're just going to look the other way because jail would be hard for them!

Quote:
Authorities said he met the 18-year-old woman through an online dating site and gained permission from her parents and staff at the Des Moines group home to take her to the movies on Dec. 5.

Instead, he took her to his Windsor Heights home and forced her to perform sex acts though she said “no” many times, according to a police report and criminal complaint.

The victim had clinical diagnoses of mildly mental defectiveness, autism, alcohol- and drug-related birth defect syndrome, post-traumatic stress, dissociative identity disorder, major depressive disorder with brief reactive psychotic episodes and a language disorder that makes communication difficult, according to the complaint.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...case/88574800/

The school gave him a one match suspension. Just one match. Curious to see what kind of punishment he gets from an actual court. Recent similar rulings don't seem promising that he'll actually get anything of consequence.

And then there's this:

Quote:
Becker was charged with two counts of rape and one count of indecent assault. Prosecutors allege he assaulted two classmates at an April 2 house party, while he was a senior at East Longmeadow High School. He was reportedly a three-sport athlete at the school.

Becker allegedly digitally penetrated the two victims while they were unconscious, MassLive reports, citing court documents. Each reported waking up to Becker sexually assaulting them.

Becker’s lawyer Thomas Rooke says his client can now “look forward to a productive life without being burdened with the stigma of having to register as a sex offender.”

“The goal of this sentence was not to impede this individual from graduating high school and to go onto the next step of his life, which is a college experience,” the lawyer said in court, MassLive reported.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-be...ets-probation/

Poor kid, his life could be ruined all because he decided to sexually assault two unconscious women.

It's no longer even a "he said, she said" thing. These men are being caught in the act, admitting to the act, and they still get away with it because their futures are so promising.

It's just so disgusting. Pretty sure if these kids had been caught drinking underage or with drugs (or if they weren't white and/or athletes) they would've gotten actual punishment for their crimes.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #1065
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree Witty - so disgusting.

The latest - the Nate Parker story. Where does it end?
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #1066
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I agree Witty - so disgusting.

The latest - the Nate Parker story. Where does it end?
These guys get away with actually assaulting women with probation and the absolute lowest levels of punishment, and meanwhile we have a cop shooting a deaf man because he was speeding:

http://time.com/4464444/deaf-man-pol...daniel-harris/

And in Newark, police traumatize and terrify an innocent 10 year old boy because they couldn't grasp that he was a child and not the robbery suspect they were looking for.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2762158

But hey, sexually assault someone when you have a "promising future" and you're good!
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #1067
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I for one, was told that white privilege didn't exist. Now I don't know what to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #1068
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I for one, was told that white privilege didn't exist. Now I don't know what to believe.
Also, there's no such thing as rape culture in North America.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #1069
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Also, there's no such thing as rape culture in North America.
Also, men can't be sexually assaulted/raped.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #1070
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is an actual billboard on the Trans-Canada on the way to Banff:

Quote:
The billboard promotes a conspiracy theory about governments secretly spraying chemicals from the sky to sterilize people. While it sounds outlandish, Keith has received aggressive threats from some who believe the theory because his research revolves around finding ways to alter the atmosphere to limit the effects of climate change.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...anff-1.3733776
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #1071
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's insane that the scientist is getting death threats because he debunked it.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #1072
Knut

Exp:

Many scientists that come out publicly against woo are being targeted.

David Gorski:
https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...-david-gorski/

---> Mike Adams (natural news) has hinted at pedophilia, sexually abusing his patients and even targeted the cancer center he works at.

Kevin Folta :
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/i...lic-scientist/

Harassed by The food Babe and other quacks to point that he had to step away from publicly posting anything (he is back now). It was relentless and they were able to get a FOIP request approved and get all his emails and made them public.

Steven Novella/Jay Novella/Science Based Medicine :
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...has-prevailed/

---> They called out a quack and he responded with a libel lawsuit that cost hundred of thousands of dollars, even-though they won.

Seems like there is a concerted effort out there from Quacks to try and shut down any criticism.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #1073
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post

Seems like there is a concerted effort out there from Quacks to try and shut down any criticism.
Almost as though the truth would threaten their livelihood.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #1074
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ugh, the only thing that's worth then reading that article was reading some of the comments underneath from 9/11 truthers, chemtrail truthers and various other truther morons.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #1075
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn....?client=safari
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #1076
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #1077
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...lled-last-year

Quote:
Zimbabwe plans to dehorn its 800 rhinos to thwart poachers who illegally killed more than five per cent of the population of the animals in neighbouring South Africa last year.

South Africa has the world’s biggest population of about 20,000 rhinos and most of those are of the white variety. Zimbabwe predominantly has black rhinos, which are smaller and rarer as the World Wildlife Population estimates their global number in the wild at about 4,800. Both varieties are targeted for their horns, which some people in East Asia believe cure cancer and boost virility.
When Zimbabwe is the voice of reason......

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #1078
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...lled-last-year

When Zimbabwe is the voice of reason......
I guess it is better than poachers killing the animals but how does dehorning the animals effect them out in the wild. What do they do with the horns afterwards?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #1079
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read the last sentence...

TLDR; magic.

EDIT: oh, sorry, I get it. Maybe they put them in a museum? Or glue them all together and make a hornball.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #1080
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Read the last sentence...

TLDR; magic.

EDIT: oh, sorry, I get it. Maybe they put them in a museum? Or glue them all together and make a hornball.
Flood the market with them to make them basically worthless in the future and make the taxpayers some cake!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote