Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #3521
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everytime I open this page my heart jumps when I see [Trade] at the top. if we can't let this thread die can we at least remove this part?
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #3522
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I sure hope the Flames aren't counting on Lucic to contribute to their playoff success, or lack thereof.
Obviously if the Flames have some playoff success it's going to come from their core players showing growth from last season. If their core guys can be hungrier, faster, and more prepared to battle in the playoffs that'll go a long way to finding that playoff success.

But hockey is a team game, just a couple of guys can't win you a series, you need contributions from everywhere. Lucic is never going to carry the load offensively, but he can still have a part to play by being a physical presence.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #3523
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Everytime I open this page my heart jumps when I see [Trade] at the top. if we can't let this thread die can we at least remove this part?
Seems like a you issue. This trade is going to be talked about for years. If you can’t handle the sight of the word trade then this message board will never be a safe place for you.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #3524
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Seems like a you issue. This trade is going to be talked about for years. If you can’t handle the sight of the word trade then this message board will never be a safe place for you.
At least this one is still here because the topic is being discussed. When old trade or signing threads get bumped just as a general discussion about that player it's sure annoying
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #3525
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I get what he means though - it's more about the excitement that seeing Trade in the preview bar generates and then it's just let down when it's this thread.

Now that it's no longer "breaking news" I feel like changing that thread headline to [Discussion] or something could be beneficial.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #3526
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, no reason to get snippy over it, it’s a misleading title now. It’s no longer discussing the trade. It’d be like using a signing thread to discuss Bennett’s performance.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #3527
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, no reason to get snippy over it, it’s a misleading title now. It’s no longer discussing the trade. It’d be like using a signing thread to discuss Bennett’s performance.
Then Snuffalapagus should start a new thread as a new home for the discussion. Be proactive, do something about it if you care that much. Whining about thread titles that are months old just seems whiny to me but I may be alone in that
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #3528
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hated the trade when it happened because I knew that Neal had really good potential to rebound. Last year was such an outlier for him that he shouldn't have been written off. Having said that, I accept the trade as it is likely Neal would not have rebounded in Calgary. Too many ill feelings with him and the team. The main thing I hated about it was it was with the Oilers and they would be the ones benefiting.

I find the statistical gymnastics going on to downplay the positive effect he has on the Oilers a little embarrassing and expected a little more objectivity from such an educated fan base. It reminds me of that Oilers fan (mudcrutch?) who used to post all kinds of stats to show why Oilers players were always better than the Flames despite always having a worse team record. We used to make fun of him all the time for cherry picking fancy stats and ignoring what was staring him right in the face.

Powerplay goals matter. Points in October matter. Neal improves the Oilers. Be real here, Chiasson, or whoever else would be playing in his spot would not be as effective as Neal has been.

Is he going to regress back to his normal career production, of course. But make no mistake, he makes the Oilers better (too be fair, giving them any player from our roster would have made them better). Will it be enough to make the playoffs? Likely not, but I suspect their undoing will be wearing down McDavid and Draisaitl as the season goes on and not because Neal has a Corsi below 50% (normal is between 40% and 60%).

Having said that, the jury is still out on Lucic IMO. He hasn't made a difference, but he hasn't been terrible. In fact, I think he has been better than a few of our bottom 6 incumbents.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #3529
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I hated the trade when it happened because I knew that Neal had really good potential to rebound. Last year was such an outlier for him that he shouldn't have been written off. Having said that, I accept the trade as it is likely Neal would not have rebounded in Calgary. Too many ill feelings with him and the team. The main thing I hated about it was it was with the Oilers and they would be the ones benefiting.

I find the statistical gymnastics going on to downplay the positive effect he has on the Oilers a little embarrassing and expected a little more objectivity from such an educated fan base. It reminds me of that Oilers fan (mudcrutch?) who used to post all kinds of stats to show why Oilers players were always better than the Flames despite always having a worse team record. We used to make fun of him all the time for cherry picking fancy stats and ignoring what was staring him right in the face.

Powerplay goals matter. Points in October matter. Neal improves the Oilers. Be real here, Chiasson, or whoever else would be playing in his spot would not be as effective as Neal has been.

Is he going to regress back to his normal career production, of course. But make no mistake, he makes the Oilers better (too be fair, giving them any player from our roster would have made them better). Will it be enough to make the playoffs? Likely not, but I suspect their undoing will be wearing down McDavid and Draisaitl as the season goes on and not because Neal has a Corsi below 50% (normal is between 40% and 60%).

Having said that, the jury is still out on Lucic IMO. He hasn't made a difference, but he hasn't been terrible. In fact, I think he has been better than a few of our bottom 6 incumbents.
It's not mental gymnastics to point out a super high shooting percentage or a team on a PDO bender with terrible underlying stats.

It's barely a mental somersault to be honest. And it certainly isn't embarrassing.

Basically its the same thing I was saying about the Buffalo Sabres last year after their hot start, which created a lot of people pissed at me if I remember correctly.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #3530
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It's not mental gymnastics to point out a super high shooting percentage or a team on a PDO bender with terrible underlying stats.

It's barely a mental somersault to be honest. And it certainly isn't embarrassing.

Basically its the same thing I was saying about the Buffalo Sabres last year after their hot start, which created a lot of people pissed at me if I remember correctly.
Of course his shooting percentage will regress to his career norm, but the same is possible or likely for his underlying stats, which were not terrible for most of his career. His career CF% is greater than 50% (53.5% where anything greater than 55% is elite).

Don't get me wrong, I know he wasn't going to work for us and am glad he is gone, but he is capable of being a good player.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #3531
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Of course his shooting percentage will regress to his career norm, but the same is possible or likely for his underlying stats, which were not terrible for most of his career. His career CF% is greater than 50% (53.5% where anything greater than 55% is elite).

Don't get me wrong, I know he wasn't going to work for us and am glad he is gone, but he is capable of being a good player.
If you look though he was a 55-60% player in Pittsburgh and into then in year two in Nashville things started to slide ...

In relative terms as he's always played on good teams he was a big plus, then that went from +5 to +1 to -2 to -3 last year.

Same thing for xGF% ... big plus to zero to -4.

This isn't a one season thing.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #3532
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Just my opinion, but inferring something negative about a player’s character while claiming you can’t share details is pretty bad form. It kills discussion, looks petty and accomplishes nothing positive.
He wasn't inferring, he was implying. You were inferring.

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/8545881e-f...2-164e383099c9
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #3533
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really liking Lucic's game tonight.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #3534
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I'm really liking Lucic's game tonight.
Best night for him for sure.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #3535
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Red Wings aren't very good so it doesn't really count, right?

Am I doing the drive-by trolling thing correctly?
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #3536
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I expect the early season hand wringing in this thread will not age well
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 AM   #3537
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The line of Lucic-Ryan-Bennett was really good tonight, albeit against a pretty bad team. Lucic and Bennett seems to have some pretty good chemistry going early on, and if they can keep clicking it could be a really good line over the course of the season. Lucic seems to be building off having quality linemates and he really looked like he was feeling it tonight. So far Lucic is pretty much what I was hoping he would be, he is not gonna move the needle too far in determining the Flames success this year, but he actually looks pretty good out there and he finds ways to contribute on pretty much a nightly basis.

As far as comparisons go, James Neal didn't have one single game as a Flame where he even looked remotely as engaged or where he influenced the outcome of a game in the way Lucic did tonight.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 07:07 AM   #3538
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Lucic definitely had a fantastic third period last night.

It also helped that Bennett was finally engaged in the right way too. Would like to see a lot more of that from those two.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #3539
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was one of those who absolutely hated the trade and my feelings haven't exactly changed. But if Lucic can consistently play like he did yesterday then I might just find my peace with it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #3540
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a great 3rd period by Lucic. The first assist is exactly the role he needs to play with the hit setting up a goal
colbym72 is online now   Reply With Quote