Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Wars : The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX - No Spoilers)

With a release date less than 18 months away, things are starting to heat up on the production of the final chapter of the third Star Wars episodic trilogy. I figured it's a good enough time as any to start a new discussion thread.

Spoilers for any previously released Star Wars movie or tv show and any other Disney-sanctioned Star Wars books or comics are allowed. Any spoilers for Episode IX from any non-official sources are off-limits (trailers, toys, and any other "pre-release" officially-released content can be discussed once they are available).

The film is scheduled to begin production near the end of the month. Casting rumours/announcements are starting to come out. San Diego Comic Con is less than two weeks away, so I'd expect there to be a solid Star Wars presence there and likely casting announcements.

Variety is reporting that Keri Russell is in talks to reunite with J. J. Abrams (who gave Russell her big break with Felicity 20 years ago) for an "action heavy" role in the new film: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...ll-1202861343/

Russell recently finished a six-season run playing a Russian spy on The Americans, which itself was action-heavy at times.

The exact details of the role are currently unknown, as is her character's affiliation in the film. Will she be a member of the Resistance, the First Order, or something else?

Russell is about 16 years older than Daisy Ridley. Could she be playing Rey's long lost mother? ... Hmmmmmmm.

----------

There are a few other major questions surrounding the film at this point.
  • How will they deal with Carrie Fisher's death?

• Will Mark Hamill have any role in the film, possibly appearing as a Force Ghost like Obi-Wan and Yoda did with Luke?

• Will Ewan McGregor and/or Hayden Christensen have any role in the film (on-screen or just voice over as McGregor did in The Force Awakens)?

• It is believed that Episode IX will bring an end to the "Skywalker Saga" portion of the Star Wars Universe. What will this mean for both the future of Kylo Ren and Rey and the overall vision for future Star Wars films?

• It is believed that Rian Johnson departed greatly from Abrams' original vision for this trilogy in The Last Jedi. Will Abrams roll with it, or will he try to bring things back to his where he wanted?

• Also, is there even any truth to the rumour in the first place? Abrams was an Executive Producer on TLJ and everything has to go through the Lucasfilm approval process, so it's hard to believe that Johnson just went rogue and destroyed Abram's vision without his consent. We know that Lucasfilm under Disney isn't afraid to fire directors if they don't like the direction a film is going.

Last edited by getbak; 04-12-2019 at 01:28 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between TLJ sucking and Solo under-performing at the box office, Star Wars hype might be at an all time low. The marketing machine has some work to do.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1014952913410506752

https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-c...ein-1823084646

spoilered due to size.
Spoiler!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed TLJ quite a bit, and I'm very much looking forward to IX. Bring it on!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

There are a few other major questions surrounding the film at this point.
  • How will they deal with Carrie Fisher's death?

I think they'll start the movie with a funeral service with Leia having died in a non violent fashion, or she'll be so devastated by the death of her brother and husband and friend (Holdo), and the end of the resistance just puts down her General Stars and vanishes.

Quote:
  • Will Mark Hamill have any role in the film, possibly appearing as a Force Ghost like Obi-Wan and Yoda did with Luke?

He promised Kylo that he would see him around, he shows up at the very end battle between Rey and Ren and distracts Ren so that Rey can kill him, because I don't think there can be any redemption for Ren, he's not after power he's after killing everything, plus he's too whiny to be left alive

Quote:
  • Will Ewan McGregor and/or Hayden Christensen have any role in the film (on-screen or just voice over as McGregor did in The Force Awakens)?

I'd like to see a holocron recording of Anakin and Obi-Wan teaching some kind of important Force lesson. That's why I really didn't want the Jedi secrets to be books but a holocron. I would have loved to see Ian McDarmid reprising his role as Palpatine in a holo recording.

Quote:
  • It is believed that Episode IX will bring an end to the "Skywalker Saga" portion of the Star Wars Universe. What will this mean for both the future of Kylo Ren and Rey and the overall vision for future Star Wars films?

Ren dies evil, Rey realizes that Luke is right and puts down her sword and leaves and vows to keep the secrets of the force. This kind of goes against the kid with the broom, but its easy enough for him to show up for training and Rey rebuffs him.

Quote:
  • It is believed that Rian Johnson departed greatly from Abrams' original vision for this trilogy in The Last Jedi. Will Abrams roll with it, or will he try to bring things back to his where he wanted?

I think instead of violently trying to bring things back into alignment, they just go with it. Rey's parents were nobodies, bringing them in now as a Skywalker or Kenobi or even a Palpatine (my favorite theory) or a clone of Anakin or Palpatine would be rushed and make little sense now.

Rey is a nobody from nowhere he rose above it to save the galaxy and end the dark vs light battle.

Quote:
  • Also, is there even any truth to the rumour in the first place? Abrams was an Executive Producer on TLJ and everything has to go through the Lucasfilm approval process, so it's hard to believe that Johnson just went rogue and destroyed Abram's vision without his consent. We know that Lucasfilm under Disney isn't afraid to fire directors if they don't like the direction a film is going.

I do think there is truth to it, especially with Mark Hamill saying he hated this portrayal of Luke.

As for bringing on Kerri Russell, she could be the replacement for Leia and Holdo. She could be the replacement for Phasma, she could be a new apprentice for Ren and one of the Knights of Ren who hopefully have some effect on this script.

Also the questions are

Does Phasma return? Hell no they wasted her character and she might as well have been eaten by a sarlacc

Does Snoke return? Nope he was the redshirt that Ren needed to kill to complete his protagonists journey.

What happens with Hux and the first order? When we last saw it the First Order was pretty much crippled. Snoke's ship which was the mobile home world of the First order and main manufacturing facility and a bunch of Star Destroyers were wasted. I believe that in a clumsy way that the First Order and the Resistance are really going to take a back seat to the battle between Rey and Ren.

We're going to have Poe as the leader of a crippled resistance blowing up Hux's star destroyer early on and Finn and Rose will hopefully get the Jar Jar treatment and go off to be smugglers early on. Rey and her faithful companion BB-8 will travel the hero's journey alone.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
[*]It is believed that Rian Johnson departed greatly from Abrams' original vision for this trilogy in The Last Jedi. Will Abrams roll with it, or will he try to bring things back to his where he wanted?
From this article I found, it seems like Rian Johnson's move was more inline with George Lucas's original idea for the trilogy than Abram's movie was.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/s...-the-last-jedi

I mean really, the Force Awakens was just a rehash of the old trilogy, complete with half the characters from that series of movies. Nostalgia drove most of the story.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to say it, but I really don’t see any way in which the saga can be resolved in an interesting way. Every scenario I can think of seems boring and generic.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I hate to say it, but I really don’t see any way in which the saga can be resolved in an interesting way. Every scenario I can think of seems boring and generic.
Thankfully you're not making the movie?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Between TLJ sucking and Solo under-performing at the box office, Star Wars hype might be at an all time low. The marketing machine has some work to do.
I have a whole incoherent rant about why the last jedi is good Star Wars, but I'll just go Trumpian on this one.

WRONG!
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I hated TLJ, but it did wipe the slate clean in a lot of ways. There isn't much from the first two movies to work with, but a good writer has a lot of room to make something good.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:39 AM   #11
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I have a whole incoherent rant about why the last jedi is good Star Wars, but I'll just go Trumpian on this one.

WRONG!

Nobody is wrong for disliking a movie. It's all subjective. For some folks, TLJ just didn't deliver what they wanted to see, which is fine. Star Wars fans can be an ornery bunch and they'll never agree on anything (except for Empire of course). I don't think any filmmaker on earth could ever completely satisfy the fans at this point, and I imagine trying to write and direct one of these movies must be the most stressful thing ever.

Personally I enjoyed TLJ a lot. I thought it was beautifully shot with some great action sequences, wonderful character moments, and terrific acting, particularly from Hamill, Ridley, and Driver.

I loved what they did with Luke's story arc and I enjoyed pretty much all of the Rey/Kylo moments, especially the kick-ass fight scene with the Praetorian guards. And the entire sequence with Yoda was just perfect. The music, the dialogue, Hamill's acting, the use of an actual puppet, and Frank Oz doing the voice again...everything just worked beautifully in that scene.

Does the movie have it's flaws? For sure. Flying space Leia was really dumb. The Canto Bight scenes didn't really do it for me, and Benicio del Toro's character kind of annoyed me. But those are minor complaints. Overall I thought it was solid entertainment from beginning to end and a worthy addition to the franchise. After watching it again on bluray recently, I think I liked it even more.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #12
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'll say the same thing when I left the theatre for The Last Jedi, I'm not certain how I feel about that movie until I see what Episode 9 ends up being, if it set things up for something I can't conceive then the Last Jedi will be solid, if it leads to the Skywalkers going out without a bang (assuming this is the end of their story) I'll probably be bitterly disappointed.

On it's own I didn't even crack a smile until Yoda popped up, so for me it wasn't great overall. I enjoyed Solo far more, even if they did have a few missteps in there.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #13
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't think that is fair though, ESB was great on its own, Avengers 3 was great on its own. A movie can be great on its own and shouldn't have to lean on the others in the trilogy.

Lord of the Rings is another great example.

TLJ was not a great chapter in this particular Star Wars saga, but I was still able to enjoy the movie. I will admit though my interest has died down quite a bit in this trilogy. They were supposed to do a great job of bridging us from the old characters to the new ones, but they dropped the baton in the process and I really don't care that much about Rey, or Kylo, and especially not Finn and Rose.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I loved The Last Jedi. I'm glad that it went in a surprising direction. Sure, it was a flawed movie, just like every Star Wars movie before it.

My only issue with it was that when it ended it felt like closure with the fates of the original big 3 characters being known. I suspect Episode 9 will feel like a standalone movie rather than the end of a trilogy.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully they can abstain from any more scenes with Princess Leia flying in space. That would be a great start. Honestly I'm not going to the theatre to see this one. I'm done paying $80 to take the family after TLJ which was maybe the worst Star Wars movie ever. In fact I believe if that movie was released under a new IP it would have got plenty of razzie nominations as it was that bad.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-09-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have a love hate relationship with the New Trilogy. I'm a huge Star Wars Nerd (no secret) but this new trilogy really doesn't resonate for me.

From a technical standpoint, the filming, the effects and the acting for the most part are really good. The scene at the start with the First Order Jumping in was amazingly well done. The hyper space ram where there was no sound was amazing. The strafing by the tie fighters during the final battle looked great.

So from executing what was writing its really an A+. Daisy Ridley really evolved her acting chops in this film and she has action abilities to boot.

But the problem for me is the story itself, or the execution of the story, and that's where the luster has come off. The first movie was a reboot of ANH, realistically the second movie was a reboot of ESB right down to Canto being a substitute for cloud city.

I personally think that the PT's fault was in the execution of what was a good story with a really good villain. The fall of the republic and the machinations of Palpatine who was the primary villain was a great story in itself. The rise of Vader could have been done better though, and the CGI and the acting really stiffled things.

With the ST the story just isn't that good, the villains are dumb and non threatening and can be counted on to be stupid when it counts. Some decisions were made and then changed and made things confusing. I still cringe at the prank phone call scene with Hux. Phasma was worthless, Snoke was a red shirt, and Ren just isn't that charismatic or interesting, and while the idea of killing your past is interesting, he sells it like a spoiled teenager who didn't get a corvette for his birthday.

They could have handled Luke's fall from grace in a better manor that made him more broken, instead he was basically foolish and uncaring and uncommitted to his path.

The whole Rey's parents thing was just dumb and the scene in the cave, which was supposed to be a more serious cave then the tree in ESB made no sense with 9 million Rey's snapping their fingers.

Even the ending which was supposed to be even more dire then the last scene in ESB as Luke and Leia watched Lando flying off in Hans clothing just didn't have the same kind of emotional resonance to me.

It was to me a poor story disguised by a high level of technical execution, and its made it really difficult to connect with the characters like we could in Star Wars.

I don't know how they can "save" this trilogy, my fear is that they're going to do a midnight hotshotting of reveals in this movie. Suddenly Rey will be the love child of Ben Kenobi, the knights of ren will show up late to the fight and completely decimate the Resistance, and we'll get a scene in the end with 10,000 jedi knight ghosts with Palpatine doing a keg stand.

But in a trilogy its hard to recover from bad story line decisions and poor endings, trilogies have a certain momentum and a life of their own and we saw what happened in the Matrix when they lost quality and control in the last two films and tried to hotshot coolness into it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #17
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never understood the hate for TLJ. It seemed to have started as some online anti-Disney movement that snowballed into a big anti Star Wars backlash.

Leia flying through space was weird and dumb, but other than that, it was a better movie than Force Awakens and the prequels.

The Force Awakens was a nice movie for its nostalgia, and it was fun to see Han again, but it was a rather dull and tired story that is not very watchable at all.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I've never understood the hate for TLJ. It seemed to have started as some online anti-Disney movement that snowballed into a big anti Star Wars backlash.

Leia flying through space was weird and dumb, but other than that, it was a better movie than Force Awakens and the prequels.

The Force Awakens was a nice movie for its nostalgia, and it was fun to see Han again, but it was a rather dull and tired story that is not very watchable at all.
It's getting pretty frustrating to keep hearing the idea that TLJ is getting hate because of some anti-Disney or anti-SJW backlash instead of being a fundamentally mediocre and disappointing film.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #19
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

if there's one thing I've learned from Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, and movie news articles, it's that I don't like TLJ because I'm a racist misogynist entitled nerd fanboy. this is good information to know.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's getting pretty frustrating to keep hearing the idea that TLJ is getting hate because of some anti-Disney or anti-SJW backlash instead of being a fundamentally mediocre and disappointing film.
These are the times we live in.

Some obnoxious fanboys hate a movie because it has a female protagonist and progressive messages. Therefore, anyone who dislikes the movie must be part of that ugly reactionary movement.

Just another way to delegitimize criticism and split society into Good/Bad, Us/Them, etc.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nerd rage