Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #681
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I said is that you can't make a trade straight up of Tkachuk, Monahan, and/or Gaudreau for draft picks. Few teams in the flat cap era can take one or more of those contracts on without balancing it.

As such, they will return a mix of prospects (never said they were poor prospects), 2nd and 3rd round draft picks, and a contract to balance out the cap hit a little.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #682
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
What I said is that you can't make a trade straight up of Tkachuk, Monahan, and/or Gaudreau for draft picks. Few teams in the flat cap era can take one or more of those contracts on without balancing it.

As such, they will return a mix of prospects (never said they were poor prospects), 2nd and 3rd round draft picks, and a contract to balance out the cap hit a little.
If they are taking contracts back Tkachuk and Gaudreau should return a first. What is a trade that you think would be fair?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #683
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
So did Calgary: Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Try again. Hoard picks.
Each and every single one of them should be traded this off season to do just that, and bring blue chip prospects in as well.

A Philadelphia style retool could finally push this team beyond just being a playoff bubble team.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #684
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
If they are taking contracts back Tkachuk and Gaudreau should return a first. What is a trade that you think would be fair?
It depends on the contracts that we are receiving. If they are junk players with bad contracts, we could receive a first+. If they are good players with big contracts, we would be looking at prospects + 2nd and 3rd round picks.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #685
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Even the extended description still sounds terrible. It’s easy to send salary, that won’t be a problem. The problem that always ensues in negotiations is giving up quality prospects and quality picks. If the Flames aren’t either one of those (if not both), then why are we doing the team we’re trading with a favor?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #686
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

One or two (or each) of those players should be at least worst 1st round picks. I think we are really underselling the value of these players. If a team feels these players will be very positive contributors for them - and they should be with the right supporting cast - they will pay a premium for them. These are first and forth rounders that have recent statlines that are of 1st line quality. That's not cheap even if they aren't preforming well currently due to situation.

Teams that will be wanting them aren't at the bottom of the league, getting early first round picks. These will be teams that want to strong contenders in the playoffs. So would be later picks in the rounds. Iginla and Bouwmeester was able to fetch 1st round picks despite their age and productions at that point. These guys are much younger.

Last edited by Joborule; 03-23-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:33 AM   #687
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like this draft and next will be an even larger crapshoot than normal. In that sense, I am fine with hoarding multiple 2nd/3rd round picks (outside of obviously gunning for 1st rounders) will be good, as there are likely too be plenty of variability on where good players will eventually get drafted. Of course there's also just as high a probability drop busts, but again having more "bullets in the chamber" will be beneficial.

Having lots of picks, and having a lot of cap space is a strong methodology for creating a strong rebuild foundation.

This team is not good. They have no long term core pieces outside of a 30year old goalie, and some young d who are still figuring their place out in this league.

I just don't see how they re-tool out of this.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #688
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That time was a year ago.

The returns for Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Gio, even Tkachuk (if they go that way) will be substantially lower today. This team is piss-poor at asset management. It’s part of the short-term approach baked into the franchise DNA.
You hope for a bounce back season from all of them, that hasn't happened.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #689
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I feel like this draft and next will be an even larger crapshoot than normal. In that sense, I am fine with hoarding multiple 2nd/3rd round picks (outside of obviously gunning for 1st rounders) will be good, as there are likely too be plenty of variability on where good players will eventually get drafted. Of course there's also just as high a probability drop busts, but again having more "bullets in the chamber" will be beneficial.

Having lots of picks, and having a lot of cap space is a strong methodology for creating a strong rebuild foundation.

This team is not good. They have no long term core pieces outside of a 30year old goalie, and some young d who are still figuring their place out in this league.

I just don't see how they re-tool out of this.
I feel this can be a retool more so than a rebuild if they can make good free agent pickups to shore up their scoring with the free cap space they would get. But they have to be responsible not just in the players they get, but how much they spend overall since they need to maintain buffer for future contracts on the players they pickup.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #690
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team brought in Sutter to win they are on their last thread here. Now the team needs to make massive core changes but they appear destined to rebuild right around the time they move to a new building.

In my opinion this team goes for it for at least the next 2 years after this one with Sutter. I think Gaudreau, Monahan and more are going to be dealt with more Sutter like players being brought in.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #691
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

aaaaand that’s officially curtains for me, I’m on the blow it up bandwagon now. If you can’t beat the rebuilding Ottawa Senators in 2 must win games, then you should be the team rebuilding.

I don’t want to see anyone on this core kept, blow it all up and start from scratch with the right vision, the right plan and the right people.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #692
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

Absolutely blow it up. This core has failed. The General Manager has done a terrible job and should be fired.

CALGARY
Stanley Cup Champions: 1989
calgARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #693
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

With this upcoming draft being what it is, it's a very risky time to do a blowup & rebuild now.

Sutter's a great coach, but this roster isn't built to play his style of hockey.

Yikes. I don't know what the answer is now. Maybe a retool. Move guys out who can't win puck battles, and get guys who can.

Last edited by Mathgod; 03-24-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #694
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
With this upcoming draft being what it is, it's a very risky time to do a blowup & rebuild now.

Sutter's a great coach, but this roster isn't built to play his style of hockey.

Yikes. I don't know what the answer is now. Maybe a retool. Move guys out who can't win puck battles, and get guys who can.
What are we risking at this point? The potential of losing out on more mediocre seasons from a cap team? We're bad, the risk is being a different kind of bad. Not much of a deterrent.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #695
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Treliving backed himself into this corner by not making the appropriate moves earlier when it was clear this core wasn't getting it done. Now he (or his successor) is looking at severely diminished returns and limited options for a tear-down. Risky or not, there's obviously no other choice so just rip the damn band aid off already and move on.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #696
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watching this team play makes we miss Iginla and Kipper. We failed those 2 but in their prime we knew we could count on them almost every night. It’s sad when we want to run all our best players out of town when they are all in their 20s

IMO first 2 guys to go need to be Johnny and Gio. I’d reevaluate after that what we get in return

If monahan needs surgery shut him done now so we can maybe move him next year

This draft might be questionable but we need to secure a top 8 or better pick
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #697
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt blow it up. My guess is retool in the off season and let Sutter run out his contract and then tear it down after that.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #698
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I doubt blow it up. My guess is retool in the off season and let Sutter run out his contract and then tear it down after that.
This is exactly what I think they are going to do
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #699
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This is exactly what I think they are going to do
Yup, right or wrong, I can't see them blowing it up after hiring Sutter and signing Markstrom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #700
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Treliving backed himself into this corner by not making the appropriate moves earlier when it was clear this core wasn't getting it done. Now he (or his successor) is looking at severely diminished returns and limited options for a tear-down. Risky or not, there's obviously no other choice so just rip the damn band aid off already and move on.
Yep, Treliving hitched his cart to the wrong horses and it’s looking more and more obvious that those horses just aren’t getting us to the top.

The really scary part is, he’s looking around and he realizes he’s halfway up to the top and halfway down to the bottom and us as fans honestly don’t know which direction he’s gonna go. Continue to be average for another 5 years and then rebuild or just start the rebuild now.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote