Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2023, 08:50 AM   #4781
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you’re looking for interesting walks in London check out John Rogers and Joolz guides on YouTube. Joolz is far more touristy but some interesting stuff. Rogers has a series on those city churches.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 08:52 AM   #4782
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
If you’re looking for interesting walks in London check out John Rogers and Joolz guides on YouTube. Joolz is far more touristy but some interesting stuff. Rogers has a series on those city churches.
Awesome I'll definitely check those out. I've just been mainlining tourist youtube channels during slow periods at work all night so more to add to the list are definitely welcome!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:50 AM   #4783
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, the British National museum is absolutely worth the stop, they also have the Rosetta Stone.
I don't think I'd travel all the way to Britain to see a language learning website .
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #4784
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
We're trying to book for London around Sept 11/12 and back about 3 weeks later.
The prices are crazy high. Do you think these sales may get extended to earlier dates or is it unlikely we'll see any improvement from what we have now?
Anything can happen, but there's a few factors making it less likely...

1. It's getting into that 'less than 8 weeks before departure' window. You often see fares only go in one direction from that point forward, and that's up, especially on international flights. It gets even worse 2-3 weeks out.

2. So far WestJet has only really dropped their Europe fares from about September 25th onwards. This may be where they are drawing the line as far as 'no longer considered high demand season for Europe' goes.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #4785
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Going to London and then the Canary Islands in February, planning to spend a week in each location. Any recommendations for either? All I have planned so far is two museums in the London area, then basically just walk around and look at stuff. Might jet off to Dublin for a day or two, but keeping in mind it's likely going to be 5 degrees and raining every day, not so sure what else to do
Haven't been to the Canary Islands before but heading there for the first time later this year. If you're staying on Tenerife the entire time, the highlights seem to be:

- Mount Teide volcano in the middle. Can hike around it, or go up the cable car.

- Siam Park (water park) in the SW, one of the highest rated in the world

- Beaches and whale/dolphin watching out of Costa Adeje (also SW)

- Some nice towns in the NW with nice hikes in the area as well. Roads start to get slower and less travelled around this part of Tenerife compared to the ultra-touristy SW.

- Some beautiful looking hikes and views in the NE. San Cristóbal de La Laguna is the nicest town to stay in around here.

- Rental car prices are reasonable. CICAR and Auto Reisen seem to be the best.

A map of all these things: https://tinyurl.com/5n76z346

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #4786
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Going to London and then the Canary Islands in February, planning to spend a week in each location. Any recommendations for either? All I have planned so far is two museums in the London area, then basically just walk around and look at stuff. Might jet off to Dublin for a day or two, but keeping in mind it's likely going to be 5 degrees and raining every day, not so sure what else to do
I can give you some insight on both. Been living here since oct 2021, in London. Amazing city and I have not felt home sick once. PM me if you’d like more information. If I do not move back to Calgary in the late fall and am still here, I can meet up with you too.

I spent some time in Tenerife as well, so can give you some tips. If that is the canary island you’re heading to. Same with you Cmyden.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2023, 01:28 PM   #4787
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who have used Vacations to Go, what have been your experiences? Recommend? A fellow I met on a cruise said he books everything through them.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #4788
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
For those who have used Vacations to Go, what have been your experiences? Recommend? A fellow I met on a cruise said he books everything through them.
It's a bulk travel agency, similar to CruCon or Costco travel. You'll get the best on board credit by going with a big player. You also have to deal with them to make any changes, which can sometimes be slower than using the cruise line directly. And IIRC they charge a fee for changes, which isn't ideal if you're booking way in advance and may want to re-book for a savings if prices drop.

I've used them before and it was fine, but those are the basic pros and cons.

Edited to add for clarity: they will mostly do cruise vacations because that's one of the few travel suppliers that still pay commissions to agents.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 09:04 PM   #4789
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any tips/itinerary via WJ for a 1-week trip to Tokyo?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:10 PM   #4790
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
If you're flying all the way to Tokyo, go for more than a week?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 10:22 PM   #4791
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If you're flying all the way to Tokyo, go for more than a week?
We do that but I can understand it might be a budget or timing issue? To be honest though, I wouldn't go now if you have the choice versus something like March-April. It's super hot right now but that's just me.

Online, you'll get the usual suggestions like check out Akihabara, Tokyo Tower, the fish market, Harajuku, etc. I could write up pages on pages.

But we enjoyed these that might be a little different that might not come up often online:

We also hit up this cup noodle museum where you can make your own to take home. This video doesn't show it but there is an option to take a course where you literally start from flour and water to the very end. Her channel also has a ton of Japan travel things to check out.

Enjoy the trip!

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 11:14 PM   #4792
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

yeah definitely go chase down the huge Gundam and explore that whole mall area. They may still have the big Toyota expo going on with all their future technology on display and for playing around with. Didn't expect that area to be as interesting as we found it to be.

Then the Tokyo tower LATE at night was good fun.
Definitely go to the open street market areas which you can do en route to/from Shibuya where you can find bullet sushi restaurants, bubble tea places, and not too far away special hotels by the hour in case you want to catch your favorite TV show or nap or ....??
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #4793
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Things we hit up in Tokyo as a family with kids aged 13 and 10:

-Teamlab Planets Tokyo
-Harajuku
-Imperial Palace grounds
-Shopping/taking in the urban sights of Shibuya and Shinjuku areas, and Tokyo station area
-neat little tiny alley restaurants in Omoide Yokocho next to Shinjuku station
-Senso-ji buddhist temple (near the Skytree area)
-Cafe Capyba, a Capybara cafe near Skytree

We spent a lot of time simply wandering around from main station areas and seeing what we could discover too. Stayed in an AirBnB near Shin-Okobu station, which has the JR Yamanote line that does a great circle around a lot of Tokyo, so a great jumping off point to get around.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:26 PM   #4794
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad the robot show didn’t make it through Covid, that was a rad time
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:32 PM   #4795
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do airlines limit the amount of golf bags on a plane?

I’m asking because I’ll be flying to phoenix and there will be 30 of us, all with golf bags, plus whoever else is on the flight with bags… will they cut it off at some point?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #4796
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had an Air Canada flight cancelled so applied for compensation. I got a reply from “Air Canada” that looks legit. I’ve tried to verify that it’s legit but my emails and phone calls to AC go unanswered. The person who emailed us has our names, flight number, city, what we submitted for hotel and cabs…everything. The emailer says he’ll transfer the money and we’ll need to accept for the deposit to our account.

He has so much info that this must be legit and I don’t see how confirming the deposit would give access to our account.

Does all of this sound the same as others have experienced? Does anyone have an AC customer service number that they’ll actually answer or call back?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:28 PM   #4797
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I’m asking because I’ll be flying to phoenix and there will be 30 of us, all with golf bags, plus whoever else is on the flight with bags… will they cut it off at some point?
They'll look at you shocked that you're going golfing in Phoenix in July.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2023, 03:31 PM   #4798
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We had an Air Canada flight cancelled so applied for compensation. I got a reply from “Air Canada” that looks legit. I’ve tried to verify that it’s legit but my emails and phone calls to AC go unanswered. The person who emailed us has our names, flight number, city, what we submitted for hotel and cabs…everything. The emailer says he’ll transfer the money and we’ll need to accept for the deposit to our account.

He has so much info that this must be legit and I don’t see how confirming the deposit would give access to our account.

Does all of this sound the same as others have experienced? Does anyone have an AC customer service number that they’ll actually answer or call back?
I've never had to deal with this situation but if you paid by credit card would they refund not go back on your card too? Can they actually refund more than you paid directly to Air Canada however? (eg hotels etc. that may have been booked directly).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2023, 03:51 PM   #4799
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

No specific limit, just if the plane bulked out….in other words ran out of room. Then they’d get sent on the next flight and couriered to you.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 05:38 PM   #4800
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Both of the following are true:

1. There are plenty of e-mail phishing scams involving WestJet and Air Canada and banking / personal info.

BUT

2. WestJet and Air Canada *do* sometimes reimburse travellers using bank accounts, PayPal, and e-transfers with legitimate services. Air Canada has been known to use e-transfers.

With WestJet I've had compensation from them by both PayPal and directly into a bank account.

I remember all kinds of red flags going off when I first saw the e-mail from WestJet. It didn't help that they were using a third party for payment. But based on what I traced in the e-mail, and the URLs involved, I treaded carefully and came to the conclusion it was legitimate.

With WestJet, you can see the details of the various ways they pay out on the portal they use at https://pay.westjet.com/

But I have to imagine many people end up calling in to WestJet or Air Canada, and probably should, based on #1.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post: