Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, what do you guys think of this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16883229025R

It's basically got everything I was planning on getting (Q6600, 8800GT). I haven't added everything up to see if it's worth the price yet. It doesn't list any specs for the power supply either so I'm guessing it might be crappy and need replacement.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #22
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
Hey, what do you guys think of this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16883229025R

It's basically got everything I was planning on getting (Q6600, 8800GT). I haven't added everything up to see if it's worth the price yet. It doesn't list any specs for the power supply either so I'm guessing it might be crappy and need replacement.
Are you in Canada?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Are you in Canada?
Yeah. Does NewEgg not ship to Canada?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah. Does NewEgg not ship to Canada?
Nope.

http://www.newegg.com/Info/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=4
Quote:
Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #25
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh well.

Tiger Direct and Direct Canada are cheaper anyways.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #26
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh well.

Tiger Direct and Direct Canada are cheaper anyways.
How about NCIX.com, or a local builder?
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How about NCIX.com, or a local builder?
I think I can probably get all the parts a little cheaper anyways and build it myself. I mind as well get some experience doing it - it's probably worth the trouble.

I've found NCIX to be strange - their deals are amazing and by far the cheapest, but regularly priced they're usually higher than most other sites.

I think I'm probably going to go with this power supply from NCIX: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...1&promoid=1001
Old 05-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #28
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread may help you out - it sounds like you want a similar system.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=46725
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #29
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think I can probably get all the parts a little cheaper anyways and build it myself. I mind as well get some experience doing it - it's probably worth the trouble.
Yeah it's like Lego now. You can't even really plug things into the wrong place since things are slotted to fit. The only parts that require any amount of thought are the front panel lights and connections, since you'll need to know the pin out of that motherboard (which is included in the manual).

It's definitely worth the trouble since it's usually cheaper and you get to pick exactly the parts you want. Don't forget to pick up an OEM copy of windows with your system unless you have a valid key from another system that you can transfer over.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #30
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
Yeah it's like Lego now. You can't even really plug things into the wrong place since things are slotted to fit. The only parts that require any amount of thought are the front panel lights and connections, since you'll need to know the pin out of that motherboard (which is included in the manual).

It's definitely worth the trouble since it's usually cheaper and you get to pick exactly the parts you want. Don't forget to pick up an OEM copy of windows with your system unless you have a valid key from another system that you can transfer over.
Don't most motherboard manufacturers include an adapter like Asus does where everything is labeled on the adapter so its easier to trial and error it? I hate when theres nothing, and there isn't a standardized organization.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Don't most motherboard manufacturers include an adapter like Asus does where everything is labeled on the adapter so its easier to trial and error it? I hate when theres nothing, and there isn't a standardized organization.
I keep hearing about this mythical "front panel header socket", and I haven't built a system in a while, but each one I've done I've had to put each little wire in just the right place. Everything is labeled, but a nice, standardized, keyed connector would take all the fine work out.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #32
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

A Lian-Li case I had had an connector for that header so that you could put all the cables on the motherboard while it was outside the case, and the cables from the case ended in a connector and when you got the board in you just snapped the two together. Very nice system, I wish more case makers did that.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #33
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I keep hearing about this mythical "front panel header socket", and I haven't built a system in a while, but each one I've done I've had to put each little wire in just the right place. Everything is labeled, but a nice, standardized, keyed connector would take all the fine work out.
Problem is that there is no standard for how a mobo manufacturer can arrange the pin outs - there's only a requirement for a power led, hdd led, reset switch, and power switch. As a matter of fact, sometimes the power led pinout is pin 1/2 and at other times pin 1/3, so there isn't even any consistency in this department.

Asus does have what they call their Q-connector. Basically it is a little connector that allows you to plug in all the connectors outside of the case which terminates properly onto the Asus motherboard. That thing is extremely handy and I wish more manufacturers would do that.

Traditional Ale: I've only seen this on Asus motherboards.

Last edited by CubicleGeek; 05-08-2008 at 02:06 PM.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Direct Canada is the exact same company as NCIX.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #35
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
A Lian-Li case I had had an connector for that header so that you could put all the cables on the motherboard while it was outside the case, and the cables from the case ended in a connector and when you got the board in you just snapped the two together. Very nice system, I wish more case makers did that.
ASUS has this too (come with the motherboard). They call it Q-Connector.

Edit: Oops, beaten to it.

Last edited by SebC; 05-08-2008 at 07:13 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #36
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a noticeable difference between video card manufacturers?

I'm going to go with a 8800GT 512MB for the time being, but don't really know which manufacturer to go with. Here's what I've got it narrowed down to with some price searching.

XFX - $189.99
BFG - $139.99
eVGA - $159.99

Looking around online it seems to be more personal preference than anything. People have mentioned warranties (especially for OCing which I plan on attempting since I never have in the past) and trade-up programs too. I know nvidia is releasing the GT200 sometime this year, but does anyone have an idea at the price?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #37
photon

Exp:

Basically look for the OC friendly warranty, I can't remember which ones out of those has that tho.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #38
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Basically look for the OC friendly warranty, I can't remember which ones out of those has that tho.
From reading it seems like eVGA is the best, BFG doesn't cover OC in their warranty (their models are pre-clocked), and XFX does, but their customer service is terrible.

I have to confirm that from the company websites however.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #39
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably not still a problem but some of the 8800GT s had problems with cooling and loudness, so I'd check that.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #40
photon

Exp:

If you want quiet, I recommend this cooler:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147

I'm running it with the turbo module: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=139

And it's silent, and does an amazing job of cooling.