Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:
Default So I want to cancel my cell phone contract

But I signed a 3 year and I'm only 2 months into it. I know, this is probably not the best idea but really I want to find out how much it'll cost me. I haven't done any research along the lines of talking to anyone at Rogers (who I'm with), I'm just curious about how much it may be and what I should expect if I just drop by a Rogers store and ask them. I'm just kinda looking for what your opinions may be. Coming here is way better than asking my friends.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if I remember correctly it's $20 a month up to a total of $400 but that's just from what I recall

http://shoprogersfaq.custhelp.com/cg...cGFnZT0x&p_li=

right from the rogers site
Gravitykillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Your best bet is to find someone who wants whatever phone you have and will take on your old contract.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yup, 20 bucks a month up to $400.

THE only way you might be able to get out of it without paying anything, (other than ruining your credit with Rogers and in general by not paying) is if you can get them to take it back. They could do that if the sales person misled you, but even that's not a sure thing. Plus, if they didn't, that wouldn't be very nice of you anyway.

A lot of places take them back within the first month, but now that you are in your second it's going to be a lot tougher. You can also try calling Rogers directly. If you want out because of special circumstances or something, you might be able to swing a deal.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

I want out because Koodo's plan is pretty awesome compared to what i'm paying now.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

$400 over the span of your contract more awesome? You'd have to save $11 / month to make it worth while.

Plus then you're stuck with your phone, that's one big plus for some people with Rogers/Fido is the ability to switch phones whenever they like.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it will save you the 400 bucks or more, call them up and explain that they are going to lose your business for at least 3 years, probably indefinitly if they are unable to match the offer you can get from someone else.

Make sure you have the exact website they can find this better offer on, if they see they will lose you, they will do everything short of prostituting themselves to keep you on.

I did this when I was paying 80 bucks a month to Bell on my old plan. I showed them a Rogers plan/phone upgrade that I could get for 50 bucks a month by canceling with Bell, paying the 200 bucks, and resigning my contract.

They gave me a new phone and reduced my bill to 50 by giving me a buncha options that I had previously been paying for, for free.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
$400 over the span of your contract more awesome? You'd have to save $11 / month to make it worth while.

Plus then you're stuck with your phone, that's one big plus for some people with Rogers/Fido is the ability to switch phones whenever they like.
I'll actually be saving 15 a month if I go to Koodo. But thanks for doing out the math for me, it's good to know I have the same numbers. I will definitely miss the ability to use a SIM card though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
If it will save you the 400 bucks or more, call them up and explain that they are going to lose your business for at least 3 years, probably indefinitly if they are unable to match the offer you can get from someone else.

Make sure you have the exact website they can find this better offer on, if they see they will lose you, they will do everything short of prostituting themselves to keep you on.

I did this when I was paying 80 bucks a month to Bell on my old plan. I showed them a Rogers plan/phone upgrade that I could get for 50 bucks a month by canceling with Bell, paying the 200 bucks, and resigning my contract.

They gave me a new phone and reduced my bill to 50 by giving me a buncha options that I had previously been paying for, for free.
I was totally thinking that. I think I read your post in some other thread and got the idea from there, but I had to figure out how much I'd have to pay to cancel first. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and opinions. I just gave Rogers a call and presented them with the fact that I would save more with Koodo even after paying the cancellation fee and they gave me a pretty awesome contract.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFL View Post
I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and opinions. I just gave Rogers a call and presented them with the fact that I would save more with Koodo even after paying the cancellation fee and they gave me a pretty awesome contract.

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, do you mind posting your before and after plans? I've got a friend who's getting me a brand new Blackberry 8310 for $300 (in red though ) and I'm looking to go month to month when I get it in a few days with Rogers, or at worst a 1 year contract. I'm hoping to somehow get a hookup with someone or the other, so I'm just wondering what other people are getting from retentions. Another thing though, and I guess it's too late, but I heard or read somewhere is that you can get out of a contract more often than not by claiming you're permenantly leaving the country as a new opportunity just came up. But anyway, if you could post your before/after deal, that would be appreciated.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Sure, I don't mind posting but I don't know how much good it'll do you. I'm on a family plan, so I was pretty much negotiating for my dad and I. It was always cheaper to stay on the family plan so I just paid him my portion.

Anyhow, here's my old plan.
-$64.47 tax included for the 2 lines
-100 minutes to share a month, only free weekends, no free evenings
-unlimited calling between the 2 lines
-my line had callder id, voicemail and 125 texts/month. my dad's line has pretty much nothing, which makes sense, as he barely uses it.

New plan:
-
$57.60/month after tax
  • 250 weekday minutes/line, so 500 mins combined
  • 6pm evenings and weekends
  • caller ID for both phones (this is the one thing my dad actually wanted)
  • free voicemail on my phone
  • free 500 texts/month, includes 50 pic/vid texts.
This is way more than we need, but we save like $7 and get more. And I get to keep my SIM card, which is a lot more convenient than most people think. I hope that helps you in some way.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

People should check out Virgin Mobile:

$25 + tax per line
100 daytime
Unlimited E&W 7pm
Unlimited Text
Call ID
Voicemail
Call Fwd
Call waiting

And get a free mp3 phone on 1 year contract; $10/month cancellation fee.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFL View Post
Sure, I don't mind posting but I don't know how much good it'll do you. I'm on a family plan, so I was pretty much negotiating for my dad and I. It was always cheaper to stay on the family plan so I just paid him my portion.

Anyhow, here's my old plan.
-$64.47 tax included for the 2 lines
-100 minutes to share a month, only free weekends, no free evenings
-unlimited calling between the 2 lines
-my line had callder id, voicemail and 125 texts/month. my dad's line has pretty much nothing, which makes sense, as he barely uses it.

New plan:
-$57.60/month after tax
  • 250 weekday minutes/line, so 500 mins combined
  • 6pm evenings and weekends
  • caller ID for both phones (this is the one thing my dad actually wanted)
  • free voicemail on my phone
  • free 500 texts/month, includes 50 pic/vid texts.
This is way more than we need, but we save like $7 and get more. And I get to keep my SIM card, which is a lot more convenient than most people think. I hope that helps you in some way.
Honestly, that is an awesome deal to me. Right now if I signed up I'd get for the $31 package - 100 daytime mins, evenings/weekends after 9pm (I think $7 more for starting at 6), then add the $11 convenience package to get CID, VM, 125 text message and name display, it comes up to $50+ taxes and the infamous SAF of about $7.50. Ridiculous. Congrats, you really got a solid deal.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yub yub!

I told Rogers I was canceling and switching to Telus. They responded by giving me...

- 250 Weekday Minutes
- 6:00PM Unlimited Evenings/Weekends
- Unlimited Incoming Calls

for $20.00

Since I have a Blackberry, and don't surf the web, I had them add on the unlimited emails/messenger for another $15

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I called Rogers Monday and told them of a friend who had a good deal. Here's what they gave me:

250 daytime mins
Evenings & Weekends@6
Free incoming calls
Free Rogers to Rogers
Caller ID/Call waiting

for $47/mth including the SAF,etc (I won't believe that it includes 'all' fees 'till I see the first bill, though)
I re-upped on a 3 year, because I'll probably gits sucked into the idiotPhone when they drop the prices to a reasonable level(as I assume they'll gouge the first wave of adopters). A buddy down here in Denver told me that the iPhone will drop to around $200 sometime soon.

Edit: Of course, to get all the functionality of the iPhone on Rogers you'll have to lick up a Rogers branded (& priced) one,I'm sure.

Last edited by algernon; 05-09-2008 at 07:20 PM.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
DO you guys have to renew the contract when you do this?
I had cancelled my acct in feb, as I'm working away from home 'till June, and didn't need a phone. I re-signed with them before 90 days were up, and have kept my number. Before that I was being auto-billed on my CC month to month with no contract.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #17
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've been holding off calling retentions to get a better deal until the iPhone is introduced, I don't want a contract until the new data plans come down the pipe.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've been holding off calling retentions to get a better deal until the iPhone is introduced, I don't want a contract until the new data plans come down the pipe.
Yeah I'm hoping that they'll have an unlimited data add-on,like txt'n or e-mail...for under a billyon bucks(like $50-75). If not
Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
DO you guys have to renew the contract when you do this?
For me, since I was only 2 months into my plan, it didn't matter. But I believe the guy said it was a change in plan midway. So I should have the same expiration date.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yep, I resigned. I was a year into my current 3 year contract, but I would have been crazy not to resign.

The best part is the data portion (unlimited emails/messenger for $15) is not under contract, so that means I'm free to switch to whichever unlimited data plan comes in later this year (with the arrival of the iPhone).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote