Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2023, 11:59 PM   #41
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Curious to hear from people who have never watched the Clone Wars or the other animated series she spawned from (Rebels?) -- is this show accessible without that background?
Ahsoka really does underline one of my big problems with Star Wars (and Marvel) right now: the mythologies are becoming so dense that you need to watch an omnibus of material just to absorb what's new.

Saying that, the characters are engaging enough, and the story simplistic enough that i think you can skate by having not watched the animated series. I can't even remember this the last half of rebels, and I never finished clone wars, but I figured it out-- especially on a second viewing when I was conscious not to focus on the unknowns.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 07:21 AM   #42
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Curious to hear from people who have never watched the Clone Wars or the other animated series she spawned from (Rebels?) -- is this show accessible without that background?
This is me. I thought the first two episodes were ok. I'm familiar with the big baddie from Star Wars Legends, and I have read a few of the newer books like Alphabet Squadron that has one of the characters from this show in it. But I really don't know who the majority of these characters are aside from Ahsoka, and my experience with her is just from Mando and Book of Boba.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 07:58 AM   #43
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really enjoyed it! I didn't like the animation shift for Ahsoka so I never watched Rebels but still knew enough.
Duruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:19 AM   #44
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never watched any of the animated shows and I found the first two episodes easy enough to follow. Granted I did a bit of research on the main characters beforehand, but nothing too deep in regards to lore or anything. A short 10 minute summary on youtube was all I needed to understand what's going on.

Quick question for the hardcore fans: Is there a particular reason why they don't call in Luke to come and help them with all of this? Obviously he's kicking around during this time period and Ahsoka just recently paid him a visit. Judging by what we saw at the end of Mando S2, the dude is arguably the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy, so wouldn't they want him on their team?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #45
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I've never watched any of the animated shows and I found the first two episodes easy enough to follow. Granted I did a bit of research on the main characters beforehand, but nothing too deep in regards to lore or anything. A short 10 minute summary on youtube was all I needed to understand what's going on.

Quick question for the hardcore fans: Is there a particular reason why they don't call in Luke to come and help them with all of this? Obviously he's kicking around during this time period and Ahsoka just recently paid him a visit. Judging by what we saw at the end of Mando S2, the dude is arguably the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy, so wouldn't they want him on their team?

All I can assume is that there still is no Jedi Order, Luke is off doing his own thing and trying to build the order up, and isn't interested in going out on missions like this that could be questionable or personal.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:01 AM   #46
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Thought it was a great start. Really felt like a good epilogue to Rebels and paid homage to a lot of the heart and soul of that show.

I feel like they really set up the season well.

The evil master and apprentice were both really well done. I was especially intrigued with the villain apprentice who is the character I felt I would care the least about going in, so that was a nice surprise.

Filloni does a great job of capturing the essence of the original Star Wars properties.

I didn't like the actress playing Sabine. She is very wooden. Sabine is a Mandalorian but she has emotional range at least in Rebels. Elbowing robots in the head and kicking them with your shins shouldn't really end well either... but I digress.

Hera is spot on. And the scene with her and Chopper was just amazing. I was smiling the whole time.

Looking forward to what is in store for the season.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:15 AM   #47
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I’m already bored by Ahsoka as a character. I’m done with Jedi storylines, they’re just not interesting anymore. Agreed on the stabbing, Sabine should have been cleaved in half with the flick of a wrist, that was lazy writing.

Dark Jedi and Thrawn will be much more interesting.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:01 AM   #48
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Thought it was a great start. Really felt like a good epilogue to Rebels and paid homage to a lot of the heart and soul of that show.

I feel like they really set up the season well.

The evil master and apprentice were both really well done. I was especially intrigued with the villain apprentice who is the character I felt I would care the least about going in, so that was a nice surprise.

Filloni does a great job of capturing the essence of the original Star Wars properties.

I didn't like the actress playing Sabine. She is very wooden. Sabine is a Mandalorian but she has emotional range at least in Rebels. Elbowing robots in the head and kicking them with your shins shouldn't really end well either... but I digress.

Hera is spot on. And the scene with her and Chopper was just amazing. I was smiling the whole time.

Looking forward to what is in store for the season.
Sabine did come across very wooden.

For us new to Rebels characters, why are we supposed to care about her exactly? Seems like a brat who only plays by her own rules and has a childish unrequited love for a dead/lost guy.

They didn't do a great job of giving the casual audience a reason to root for this woman.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #49
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I’m already bored by Ahsoka as a character. I’m done with Jedi storylines, they’re just not interesting anymore. Agreed on the stabbing, Sabine should have been cleaved in half with the flick of a wrist, that was lazy writing.

Dark Jedi and Thrawn will be much more interesting.
If I'm a dark jedi I definitely cleave all my enemies in half to ensure they don't come back.

And even then.... (Maul)
Old 08-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #50
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
If I'm a dark jedi I definitely cleave all my enemies in half to ensure they don't come back.

And even then.... (Maul)

See, I would have pulled upwards. Not surviving that.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:26 PM   #51
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
See, I would have pulled upwards. Not surviving that.
The ol' taint-to-brains finisher?

They would still find a way.
Old 08-24-2023, 03:38 PM   #52
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hadn't watched Rebels.

I thought I tuned into the second episode by mistake because it felt like I had missed a bunch of introductions. Pretty lost. Watched the first episode of Rebels afterwards and more made sense.

I don't generally like cartoons (of any type), but I guess that's just part of the backstory now. I made it to season 6 of Clone wars, but it was honestly a slog. I'll take another run at it.

I know it's only two episodes in, so will give it time. Was sorry to learn about the passing of Rey Stevenson.

Spoiler!
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:52 PM   #53
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The opening on the bridge did feel like a bad ripoff of star trek.

Felt like Filoni was going for an OT-like opening, being a bit cheesy and 70s sci-fi. Those collars on their uniforms looked awful lol.

I felt like I shouldn't have liked it, and yet there was a bit of nostalgic charm to it.

The intro of the two jedi had an iconic feel to it. Hopefully they end being just that good that we can look back on it that way.

I hate that we won't get more of Ray already.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 06:36 PM   #54
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The bridge and uniforms and stuff were all straight out of the original series.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 06:55 PM   #55
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good eye. I genuinely did not make the connection.

With modern video saturation they stuck out more, looked a bit goofy. Especially on the captain. Maybe the old actors just wore it better.

Hats off to Dave for making the show as OT authentic as possible from the start.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good eye. I genuinely did not make the connection.

With modern video saturation they stuck out more, looked a bit goofy. Especially on the captain. Maybe the old actors just wore it better.

Hats off to Dave for making the show as OT authentic as possible from the start.
Look here....they were a Rebellion, they didnt have lots of resources! If they had to wear third-hand discarded Wendy's Uniforms then they did what they had to do!

Besides, it also brings a degree of Camouflage!

"Are you Rebel Scum??"

- "Sir...this is a Wendy's..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #57
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah Filoni loves to put callbacks to the original series wherever he can. And wolves, wolvers everwhere.

And yeah with modern cameras and stuff the uniforms look pretty bad, personally I would have tried to have something that looked similar but was more modern, but either way it's fine.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:51 PM   #58
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't know how they'll make the show Ahsoka centric when there is much more going on with every other character. She kind of had her arc in the earlier shows.
I was wondering what wasn't clicking for me and I think you've nailed it here. Her story is... kind of over.

I guess they do have an opportunity to do the "disillusioned Luke trying to cope with his failures and return from his dour exile" thing they botched in the Rey trilogy, though. If her arc is to return to her more lively energetic self or some version of it that might be fun? I dunno much about Rebels but this Ahsoka isn't very Ahsoka-ish, even accounting for the passage of time.

My only really gripe and source of rolled eyes, leaving aside minor stuff like the puzzle being pretty simple ultimately, is the whole "everyone must be Jedi" thing. They didn't need Sabine to be her apprentice, or whatever. Not everyone needs a lightsaber.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:32 AM   #59
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I was wondering what wasn't clicking for me and I think you've nailed it here. Her story is... kind of over.

I guess they do have an opportunity to do the "disillusioned Luke trying to cope with his failures and return from his dour exile" thing they botched in the Rey trilogy, though. If her arc is to return to her more lively energetic self or some version of it that might be fun? I dunno much about Rebels but this Ahsoka isn't very Ahsoka-ish, even accounting for the passage of time.

My only really gripe and source of rolled eyes, leaving aside minor stuff like the puzzle being pretty simple ultimately, is the whole "everyone must be Jedi" thing. They didn't need Sabine to be her apprentice, or whatever. Not everyone needs a lightsaber.
My take on the whole Ahsoka dourness thing is that she's tried to take on the Anakin role with Sabine taking on the troublesome padawan role, and she's struggling because it's not natural for Ahsoka to be the master. I feel like they're setting the story up so that Sabine will take a similar, but unique due to her heritage, path to Ahsoka.

I'm excited to see what comes from this show, especially as we get closer to finding out where tf Ezra and Thrawn have been.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 10:44 AM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
My take on the whole Ahsoka dourness thing is that she's tried to take on the Anakin role with Sabine taking on the troublesome padawan role, and she's struggling because it's not natural for Ahsoka to be the master. I feel like they're setting the story up so that Sabine will take a similar, but unique due to her heritage, path to Ahsoka.

I'm excited to see what comes from this show, especially as we get closer to finding out where tf Ezra and Thrawn have been.
I expect we'll see them wearing Cowboy Hats and riding Space Whales through Hyperspace...."Yee-HAW!!!"

Or better yet...Ezra and 'Thrawny' have become besties.

Thrawn convinces Ezra of the benefits of Imperial order and the downfalls of Rebel 'freedom' as well as the drawbacks and deficiencies of the Jedi Order.

So Ezra gets back into the Galaxy and is not at all who Sabine and Ahsoka were expecting.

Kanan can come back but he has to wear a Geordi LaForge visor for no particularly good reason.

Lets shake it up!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars