Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2023, 11:09 AM   #61
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I would say that the Tabasco Sriracha is way more like the rooster Sriracha but not as spicy. The flavors much better. The other stuff I got had almost too much of a vinegar taste
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:41 AM   #62
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Funny thing happened the other day...I've been looking for Rooster brand sriracha for a while...was in Calgary and searched all over...no joy. None in Vernon, Kelowna or other points either.

Looked in my condiments and oddments cupboard the other day....bottle of "hot c*ck" sriracha sitting right there waiting for me. Had forgotten all about it. Probably a year old LOL.

And...have never found a decent sub for it other than Sambal Oelek.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #63
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So I would say that the Tabasco Sriracha is way more like the rooster Sriracha but not as spicy. The flavors much better. The other stuff I got had almost too much of a vinegar taste
If you’re amenable to making your own it’s fairly simple.

The special peppers thing is a lark. There is nothing remarkable about Hung Foy’s peppers.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:31 PM   #64
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Why don't you just re-blend the LKK or Tabasco brand stuff yourself? Pour it into a bowl, add sugar + salt, spice or whatever error you think needs corrected or mix both together if that's a successful taste experiment, then pour back into bottle.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the LKK version vs Huy Fong is mainly a difference in fermentation. Tabasco IIRC does a lot of fermentation on their hot sauces. So if the initial taste of LKK is close, but after taste way off, it might not be an ingredient issue, but a fermentation difference.

If you go all out and make yourself a batch or two of a DIY Sriracha and test the flavors at 0/1, 3, 5 and 7-10+ days days ferment before you boil to lock in the flavor, you might understand what I mean. I believe some people "cheat" and put in a splash of fish sauce or rice vinegar in their DIY Sriracha for that aftertaste.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...riracha-sauce/

I honestly believe that Sriracha's true secret is a mixture of low age and a longer aged mixture (ie: 3 and 10). I honestly don't think it's single batch. But I haven't done a lot of experimentation in the past to figure it out. It was just easier to pay the premium on Huy Fong and/or it was fun to have variation to Huy Fong. Less fermentation is spicier but less after taste (ie: 1 to 3 days). Longer is more complex (5+), but not as spicy.

I believe the issue with the flavor is production changes after a judge forced the company to address a spicy smell it was producing.

https://www.manufacturing.net/home/n...nd%20stop%20it.

At the time it was partial, but not major overhaul. I wonder if it affected the way things ferment/temps or something in the way they aired things out. I dunno.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:45 PM   #65
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNBC recently did a piece on the shortages again and the scummy business dealings, lies, and espionage Huy Fong has done which directly contributed to the current shortages. Tran, the owner founder of Huy Fong, torpedoed a decades long relationship to save a few bucks when peppers were plentiful. The whole shortage is self inflicted by Huy Fong.

There are so many other hot sauce varieties, might as well try other sauces from less crummy owners w/ your money. Could even source a hot sauce from Underwood farms directly, which uses the same peppers used in the past Sriracha recipes.

Lucky Supermarket by Sunridge did have a few bottle a couple of weeks back with a sign that explicitly limited one bottle per customer. No guarantee of that being there now tho.

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-28-2023 at 10:50 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:24 AM   #66
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Why don't you just re-blend the LKK or Tabasco brand stuff yourself? Pour it into a bowl, add sugar + salt, spice or whatever error you think needs corrected or mix both together if that's a successful taste experiment, then pour back into bottle.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the LKK version vs Huy Fong is mainly a difference in fermentation. Tabasco IIRC does a lot of fermentation on their hot sauces. So if the initial taste of LKK is close, but after taste way off, it might not be an ingredient issue, but a fermentation difference.

If you go all out and make yourself a batch or two of a DIY Sriracha and test the flavors at 0/1, 3, 5 and 7-10+ days days ferment before you boil to lock in the flavor, you might understand what I mean. I believe some people "cheat" and put in a splash of fish sauce or rice vinegar in their DIY Sriracha for that aftertaste.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...riracha-sauce/

I honestly believe that Sriracha's true secret is a mixture of low age and a longer aged mixture (ie: 3 and 10). I honestly don't think it's single batch. But I haven't done a lot of experimentation in the past to figure it out. It was just easier to pay the premium on Huy Fong and/or it was fun to have variation to Huy Fong. Less fermentation is spicier but less after taste (ie: 1 to 3 days). Longer is more complex (5+), but not as spicy.

I believe the issue with the flavor is production changes after a judge forced the company to address a spicy smell it was producing.

https://www.manufacturing.net/home/n...nd%20stop%20it.

At the time it was partial, but not major overhaul. I wonder if it affected the way things ferment/temps or something in the way they aired things out. I dunno.
I think you're overthinking it. I would say the ratio of green/red jalapenos is the main differentiator. They're probably using more green jalapenos since ripening them to red takes longer.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:09 AM   #67
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I think you're overthinking it. I would say the ratio of green/red jalapenos is the main differentiator. They're probably using more green jalapenos since ripening them to red takes longer.
Possibly. There's more than one way to adjust taste beyond tinkering with ingredients. That was just my prediction in that I think there was a modification to the fermentation process to push it out faster. I'm paralleling that theory with similar concepts I am aware of where Scotch avoided age statements and did a lot of blending with younger stuff to address those supply issues while still sending out lots of product as demand increased.

My grandfather was a chef and my dad has quite an accurate sense of taste. He's always tinkering with recipes and asking me to figure out what he did to tweak flavors ranging from the entire initial taste to final after taste of his cooking or his sauces. I always have almost a dozen hot sauce options at my home and I love matching flavor profiles to food + matching spice levels to spice tolerances for guests.

I'm only mentioning the complex stuff because WO403 mentioned he might spend $30 on a bottle.

I personally would prefer dropping $30 on ingredients for a DIY sriracha vs buying a bottle on ebay. It won't taste identical to Huy Fong, but I get to play with the flavors to get to what I like, plus I'd have much more than a single bottle of the stuff, but that's just me.

I'm coming from a POV where I've made hot sauce before, my dad makes XO and sauce occasionally, my sister in law is ultra picky about chili oil vs chili sauce and occasionally brings her own hot sauce if the restaurants we go to have a hot sauce with a flavor profile she dislikes (Sambal disliked. Prefer taste more similar to Sriracha), my friend's parents makes a chili oil that's basically tastes like a hybrid of a chili crisp and fermented chili sauce (Papa Ng's famous chili oil).

In Singapore, I knew a guy who loved discussing hot sauces. Sambal Oelek is enjoyed because it's considered a more "fresh" chili sauce and it's more grainy/rough because it's seemingly more crushed chilis than blended. Sambal style in his mind was the only appropriate hot sauce for "hot skate" (Skate covered in sambal and grilled) because it was fresher chili sauce with fresh fish as an ingredient. Fermented chili sauce worked best with foods that were also fermented, more complex/processed.

Most Sriracha DIY recipes call for a little bit of fermentation and it's blended into a slurry. When I experimented with it a few years ago, I did find the spice mellowed out a lot and/or disappeared after a few days of fermentation. My buddy explained something similar and showed me an excerpt from the "Noma guide to fermentation" when he made his own fermented Caribbean inspired hot sauce. He fermented a clove/all spice mixture than when added to his habanero/reaper hot sauce, created an aftertaste that made that #### ultra addicting. My buddies and I were eating that #### like salsa even though it was pretty fricken spicy. It almost looked like we were spreading vegemite on bread when we ate it that way. It was so damn good.

If I were WO403, I'd consider mixing the LKK and the Tabasco Sriracha together with a little bit of sugar (to address vinegar taste) and possibly a little bit of extra garlic paste. This so that he can see if he can get a flavor profile that he is happy with. It's probably far easier to do that than make his own Sriracha replacement from scratch. (Generally speaking, Sriracha is characteristically more garlicy and sweet than Sambal which is typically more firey, earthy and vinegary).

I've tried the LKK Sriracha he mentioned before so I have an idea what he's complaining about. IMO there's an almost chemically artificial or awful chlorophyll/botanical aftertaste at the end instead of the typical mellow sweetness of Huy Fong. I have no idea about the Tabasco Sriracha though, but I know Tabasco's style so I assume it's a fermented mellow one. His comments about it not being spicy enough also make me conclude that way even though I've never tried it and I only based on his comments did I even find out Tabasco offered a Sriracha type of product.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:49 PM   #68
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Lao Gan Ma Chillie Crisp is crack in a jar, simply fabulous on almost everything and highly recommended.
A little late to the party but, yeah, this stuff is amazing.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote