Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #201
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Despite ANOTHER bad betting error that opened the door to a tie for no necessary reason.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:23 AM   #202
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Yeah, no idea what her thought was there.

I get the strategy of betting a little to minimize a loss if you're wrong in a category you aren't comfortable with. But she should have bet $1 more in case the leader bet $0.

Now the leader betting $0 would also have been incredibly stupid, a $0 bet really is the strategy of someone in 3rd.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #203
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

After seeing Mattea qualify for the Tournament of Champions, it made me wonder about how other Canadians have fared on J!. Best source I could found was this article from 2016.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jeopa...list-1.3458543

It does look like with one more win, Mattea could be the most successful regular season Canadian player on J! Especially impressive considering her age.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:34 AM   #204
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to laugh at the two Americans guessing the very American specific French and Indian War while Mattea was able to grasp the bigger picture Seven Years War taking place internationally.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #205
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Had to laugh at the two Americans guessing the very American specific French and Indian War while Mattea was able to grasp the bigger picture Seven Years War taking place internationally.
Yeah, but I can't believe she wagered $1? Like you either go big because you know you know history super well and are going to get that right, or you wager zero and make sure that you come back today.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #206
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, but I can't believe she wagered $1? Like you either go big because you know you know history super well and are going to get that right, or you wager zero and make sure that you come back today.
I actually think $1 was the correct bet.

If you get it right no matter what you win ($20,401)

If you get it wrong you're maximizing your final total ($20,399).

If the guy in second wagered less than everything, got it right, but Mattea wagered big and got it wrong she'd be in a bigger position to lose. (eg: Mattea wagered $10,000 and go it wrong she would have been at $10,400; whereas if Adam wagered $10,000 and got it right he'd have been at 20,200)

You're playing to win, first and foremost.

That begs the question if you were Adam and got a category you knew nothing about, would you still bet it all or hedge your bet hoping the others didn't know it either?

Last thing you want to do is pull a Cliff Clavin.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #207
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I actually think $1 was the correct bet.

If you get it right no matter what you win ($20,401)

If you get it wrong you're maximizing your final total ($20,399).

If the guy in second wagered less than everything, got it right, but Mattea wagered big and got it wrong she'd be in a bigger position to lose. (eg: Mattea wagered $10,000 and go it wrong she would have been at $10,400; whereas if Adam wagered $10,000 and got it right he'd have been at 20,200)

You're playing to win, first and foremost.

That begs the question if you were Adam and got a category you knew nothing about, would you still bet it all or hedge your bet hoping the others didn't know it either?

Last thing you want to do is pull a Cliff Clavin.
Sure, but if you're second, you don't keep the money you won that day either? So it's really a question of playing tomorrow or not (assuming you get it wrong).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #208
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most common betting mistake I see is with Daily Doubles, where contestants bet large enough that if they are wrong they are out of it, but not large enough to over-take the leader if they are right. The worst of both. Someone will bet a huge amount, that leaves them $600 shy of the leader. Idiotic.

And if you are going against a multi-time champion, where it is demonstrated early in the game that they are quicker on the buzzer than you, and getting more answers right, the playbook to beat them is clear. Bet big on daily doubles. That's your only chance.

I'm fascinated about how common it is that these really smart people are so awful when it comes to the betting side of the game. You should be entering the game with a clear plan on what you will do in different scenarios. Yes, a big considerations is your comfort level with the category, but sometimes your only chance of winning is to maximize those doubles. Play to win. Too many seem to realize early they aren't going to win and are playing for 2nd. Or playing not to embarrass themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #209
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I've been playing the Jeopardy app on my iPad. It's ok, but the questions get repeated a lot, and there are ads and many requests to pay for upgrades. But, you can play for free.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #210
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Sure, but if you're second, you don't keep the money you won that day either? So it's really a question of playing tomorrow or not (assuming you get it wrong).
No if you're second you win $2,000.

Let's say the category is Nuclear Physics.

Well I know sweet bugger all about that. If I was in second should I risk it all in hopes that I luck into the right answer? Or, bet little to none, hope that the person in first wagers a ton and gets it wrong?

I don't actually know the 'correct' strategy there. Mind you when I play the Jeopardy app on my phone, unless I'm in a runaway position I bet it all everytime.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #211
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The most common betting mistake I see is with Daily Doubles, where contestants bet large enough that if they are wrong they are out of it, but not large enough to over-take the leader if they are right. The worst of both. Someone will bet a huge amount, that leaves them $600 shy of the leader. Idiotic.

And if you are going against a multi-time champion, where it is demonstrated early in the game that they are quicker on the buzzer than you, and getting more answers right, the playbook to beat them is clear. Bet big on daily doubles. That's your only chance.

I'm fascinated about how common it is that these really smart people are so awful when it comes to the betting side of the game. You should be entering the game with a clear plan on what you will do in different scenarios. Yes, a big considerations is your comfort level with the category, but sometimes your only chance of winning is to maximize those doubles. Play to win. Too many seem to realize early they aren't going to win and are playing for 2nd. Or playing not to embarrass themselves.
If I ever make it on Jeopardy, my goals are simple:

First, buzz in and get one question right.

That's it. Just one.

Second, make it to Final Jeopardy

Third, win one game

Fourth, with one more game

That's it.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #212
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
No if you're second you win $2,000.

Let's say the category is Nuclear Physics.

Well I know sweet bugger all about that. If I was in second should I risk it all in hopes that I luck into the right answer? Or, bet little to none, hope that the person in first wagers a ton and gets it wrong?

I don't actually know the 'correct' strategy there. Mind you when I play the Jeopardy app on my phone, unless I'm in a runaway position I bet it all everytime.
In this specific scenario, where second place had exactly half of what first place had and didn't have third place covered, you would have to bet it all as the second place player.

If you had third place covered and it wasn't a strong subject for you, you might consider ensuring a second place finish, but I still think you have to go for the win. The difference between second and third is only $1,000. The difference between first and second was over $18,000 in this case (plus a chance to come back and play again).

Also, if you go down swinging, you can be satisfied that you tried your best; but if you get it right and first place gets it wrong, you'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life if you didn't go for the win.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #213
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I've been playing the Jeopardy app on my iPad. It's ok, but the questions get repeated a lot, and there are ads and many requests to pay for upgrades. But, you can play for free.
I agree it's ok, I don't like how you only play 5 of the 9 clues.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #214
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoy that Ken shows utter disdain and disappointment when people aren't aggressive enough on their daily doubles.
Similarly he praises people for being aggressive even if it doesn't work.
Saying stuff like...
"That's the right play".
Old 04-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #215
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's disappointing when players find a DD in the Jeopardy round and don't bet the maximum - you could easily recover those losses in Double Jeopardy

Everyone is very smart, but there clearly isn't enough thought and prep put into the strategy and wagering side of the game
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 02:00 PM   #216
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's why James was such an outlier. He was both good with the trivia knowledge, but he also had the gambler's heart.

A lot of people have one or the other, but not both.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:08 PM   #217
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Is there some way to find out who’s hosting without tuning every day? A hosting schedule of sorts? I’ll only watch if what’s-her-face isn’t hosting.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #218
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

My wife and I refer to Mattea as Lady T-Rex.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 02:44 PM   #219
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Is there some way to find out who’s hosting without tuning every day? A hosting schedule of sorts? I’ll only watch if what’s-her-face isn’t hosting.
It's weekly so just check on Monday and decide from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #220
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

No official schedule that I can find, but the best way to check is to search for Jeopardy on your TV listings, it usually mentions who the host is for each upcoming episode.

From the patterns I've noticed, it looks like Ken hosts 6 weeks worth of games (30 games), followed by 2 weeks (or 10 episodes) of Bialik. Apparently she only has time to film 10 episodes a month because her other show is taking up the majority of her time right now.

Bialik just finished her latest 2 week stint last Friday, so we probably have another 6 weeks of Ken (including this current week).

Things could always change though. If she's wrapped up filming for her other show she could very well start hosting at least half the episodes, whenever that happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is