Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Can't insert typing now in Word

I'm now running Vista. I don't know if Vista is the reason for this problem, but it started with Vista. With Word before, I would hit the INSERT key and when I type my characters it would just replace characters as I type. Now I hit the replace key and it doesn't replace these characters - it just types them into the copy. I've tried hitting control/insert and it doesn't work. This happens in Word but when I type something into this message it does insert.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get it to insert characters?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm now running Vista. I don't know if Vista is the reason for this problem, but it started with Vista. With Word before, I would hit the INSERT key and when I type my characters it would just replace characters as I type. Now I hit the replace key and it doesn't replace these characters - it just types them into the copy. I've tried hitting control/insert and it doesn't work. This happens in Word but when I type something into this message it does insert.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get it to insert characters?
Possible solution (at least in Word 2000):

Click on Tools->Options->Edit and clear the check box next to "Use the INS key for paste"
Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, check your macros. We had this happen at work a couple of times and it turned out that word had been shutdown improperly and had created a macro that messed up the insert/replace function. If you use macros you should be able to recognise it because it will be one you didn't create and will have a weird name. I'd you don't use macros, it may be the only thing listed when you view macros. (and it will have an unusual name as well)