Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Mac Ripping Software

So I have my new mac but am getting a little frustrated.

It seems like what I want to do, and did on the pc, I can't figure out on the mac. Not having enought time to dedicate might be part of the problem I guess. Anyways...

How do I rip a CD into a folder that is not Itunes. I want to mainain a folder of music and then import it into Itunes. On Windows Media Player you just hit rip and away it goes. You should be able to do it in Itunes but I can't seem to figure it out? Any help?

or is there another program that you people use to rip?

Also, burning a disc seems harder than it should be. I loaded Burn but can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions for other software? Preferabley free but will step up to toast if that is the best/easiest option.

Thanks in advance.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Toast seems to be good burning software, have you also tried figuring out the disk utility?

Also, for ripping CD's, I still go with the old standby CDEX, although I don't know if there is a Mac Distro for it.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Handbrake apparently rules for ripping DVDs. I have not tried it myself, being a windows user!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post

How do I rip a CD into a folder that is not Itunes. I want to mainain a folder of music and then import it into Itunes. On Windows Media Player you just hit rip and away it goes. You should be able to do it in Itunes but I can't seem to figure it out? Any help?
I've set iTunes up to encode as MP3's and to manage my directories. Basically it just stores all the music in "~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/". This folder can be used by any other program, or mirrored elsewhere if you want. Thankfully iTunes doesn't do anything funky with the file naming.

I've heard there is a good way to integrate the LAME mp3 encoder into iTunes as well. Probably something I should look into since the iTunes encoder isn't the best for MP3s.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
So I have my new mac but am getting a little frustrated.

It seems like what I want to do, and did on the pc, I can't figure out on the mac. Not having enought time to dedicate might be part of the problem I guess. Anyways...

or is there another program that you people use to rip?

Also, burning a disc seems harder than it should be. I loaded Burn but can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions for other software? Preferabley free but will step up to toast if that is the best/easiest option.

Thanks in advance.
Why?

For DVDs I use MactheRipper to rip, DVD2One to compress and strip out Macro and compress, and Toast to burn.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Why?

For DVDs I use MactheRipper to rip, DVD2One to compress and strip out Macro and compress, and Toast to burn.
I have the same exact setup.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Toast is worth the $90 or so bucks?
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote