Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #1141
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So this Jess Allen just came out and said that she didn't mean all white people, just the specific ones she dealt with. Oh ok, that makes it fine. So I can be racist, I just have to clarify that I am only talking about a few people though.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #1142
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I think you’re either misunderstanding me or twisting my words.

1. My mom did not say it’s not ok to defend a minority group. She found it amusing it’s happening. Mildly offended by it? Maybe. Enough to get a rise out of her? No. I was just trying to share an observation that I thought was interesting.

2. ‘Us vs them’. Again, please don’t misunderstand or twist the meaning of what I’m saying. What I’m saying, to be clearer, is that I don’t like the deliberate division of people and the increasing intensity of it.. Yeah, Cherry got fired for it. That is something I support. Your passive aggressive emoji was unnecessary.

3. One of the tools to divide people is to feel good about punishment. I support the punishment of Cherry but am saddened by it. I’m disturbed by the people who needed it to feel good. Alternatively, I’m also disturbed by the people who are so upset by it it evolves into anger. To be clear, I’m not seeing a whole lot of this behaviour from you or on this board.

I think it’s ok to have conflicting feelings and thoughts about this sort of thing. Which I do.
Ah yes, sorry I did misinterpret your post a bit, maybe skimmed too fast. I thought you were solely upset at the people going after Cherry. My bad. Plus, emoji's are my crutch, I've been trying to post without them forever and I always end up adding one.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #1143
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using "you people" as an insult for a while now. Nothing feels more satisfying then a good "You people make me sick!". Or a simple "You people (roll eyes)...pfft". Or the coup de grace "You people are on your own, leave me out of this nonsense". I'd like to think it's still valid as long as the group of you people is acceptably diverse, like at least three different identifiable peoples. I'd hate to have to give all that up.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #1144
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I dunno, man. Is a generalization of a large number of people in downtown Toronto and Mississauga, of which one feels too many are not wearing poppies, acceptably diverse?

Cherry has also been yelling for years, “You kids out there ..” (then something like: “never up the middle, get it out, high off the glass”)
Does he hate kids?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #1145
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I dunno, man. Is a generalization of a large number of people in downtown Toronto and Mississauga, of which one feels too many are not wearing poppies, acceptably diverse?

Cherry has also been yelling for years, “You kids out there ..” (then something like: “never up the middle, get it out, high off the glass”)
Does he hate kids?
You are ignoring “who come here...to enjoy OUR milk and honey”.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #1146
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Oh, you mean that may be the beneficiaries of a high standard of living?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #1147
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who “COME HERE”. So people who weren’t “HERE”.

You are really being wilfully blind here. He’s talking “them” and “us”.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #1148
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, he left out the others of us that won the sperm lottery and were just born here.

Last edited by RogerWilco; 11-13-2019 at 07:03 PM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #1149
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Who “COME HERE”. So people who weren’t “HERE”.

You are really being wilfully blind here. He’s talking “them” and “us”.
Ah, got it.

So if that is how it is read, then it is wrong to say that people who immigrate to a country with a higher standard of living are the beneficiary of that standard of living.

I just don’t see anyone proving this vicious intent beyond doubt

Again, I do not see anything of the ilk ‘you will not replace us’, ‘you are not welcome’, ‘person x is better than person y’, all of which we have seen and are quite spiteful

Again, bad choice of words. Not saying it’s okay.

Obviously we see in many cases that it is important how what you say is heard by the listener.

And I do think that the velocity with which outrage spreads, and the reaction to it, led to the loss of a teachable moment
Old 11-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #1150
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pfff, he was not referring to Canada anyhow. He was clearly referring to Xanadu.

Well I will dine on honeydew...and drink the milk of paradise!

Last edited by dissentowner; 11-13-2019 at 07:16 PM.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #1151
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, got it.

So if that is how it is read, then it is wrong to say that people who immigrate to a country with a higher standard of living are the beneficiary of that standard of living.

Again, I do not see anything of the ilk ‘you will not replace us’, ‘you are not welcome’, ‘person x is better than person y’, all of which we have seen and are quite spiteful

Obviously we see in many cases that it is important how what you say is heard by the listener.

And I do think that the velocity with which outrage spreads, and the reaction to it, led to the loss of a teachable moment
Beyond doubt? He’s not being charged with a crime. I think anyone can interpret what he meant’s especially with his immediate post-incident comments. And his appearance on Tucker Carlson.

It was more than a bad choice of words IMO. It’s what he thinks. His past backs it up, his choice of venue afterwards backs it up.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #1152
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So this Jess Allen just came out and said that she didn't mean all white people, just the specific ones she dealt with. Oh ok, that makes it fine. So I can be racist, I just have to clarify that I am only talking about a few people though.
No. She generalized. It wasn't right. Saying she meant something else doesn't cut it. She still said what she said.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #1153
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does he hate kids?
No one cares about ageism unless it's directed at Boomers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #1154
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I've been using "you people" as an insult for a while now. Nothing feels more satisfying then a good "You people make me sick!". Or a simple "You people (roll eyes)...pfft". Or the coup de grace "You people are on your own, leave me out of this nonsense". I'd like to think it's still valid as long as the group of you people is acceptably diverse, like at least three different identifiable peoples. I'd hate to have to give all that up.
LOL, yeah, if your reference within the group is associated similarly, "You People" is in the same context as everyone in the same group with no racial context. That is, if a white person says to another white person using "You people" in a sentence, it may refer to the family or to an associated group of friends. However, if a white person said it to a visible minority, that context is meant to be racial. The same effect if a visible minority said "You people" to a white person.

BTW, I love your user name. I saw it on an Ontario license plate quite a few years ago but I don't think it'll be possible to get one like that again. That acronym should be used to describe Don Cherry when he got signed by Sportsnet years ago and when he ranted racially.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #1155
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Beyond doubt? He’s not being charged with a crime. I think anyone can interpret what he meant’s especially with his immediate post-incident comments. And his appearance on Tucker Carlson.

It was more than a bad choice of words IMO. It’s what he thinks. His past backs it up, his choice of venue afterwards backs it up.
Going on Tucker's show really surprised me. But it says a lot about what happened. Tucker recognized all the dog whistles, and invited Cherry on his show to do nothing but get people riled up about how "unfair" it is.

I waffle back and forth over whom I despise more, Tucker or Hannity. Pretty sure it's Tucker now.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #1156
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Yes, the term has lost much of its original meaning. What would you call it?
I'm only halfway through the thread so this may have been said already. But a good trick is that anytime you hear someone accused of being "politically correct", substitute the word "respectful" and you usually get a more accurate reflection of what the politically correct person means.

Example:

"People saying Don Cherry is a racist for his comments about new Canadians are just being politically correct respectful."

"People who think gay people deserves equal rights are just being politically correct respectful."

"People who don't use the "r" word are just being politically correct respectful."

Last edited by Jaybo; 11-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #1157
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, got it.

Oh this is quite a teachable moment. It’s not lost at all.

Really don’t know what you’re arguing here. You yourself are saying that what he said is not OK. There you go, enough said.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #1158
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
I'm only halfway through the thread so this may have been said already. But a good trick is that anytime you hear someone accused of being "respectful", substitute the word "respectful" and you usually get a more accurate reflection of what the respectful person means.

Example:

"People saying Don Cherry is a racist for his comments about new Canadians are just being respectful respectful."

"People who think gay people deserves equal rights are just being respectful respectful."

"People who don't use the "r" word are just being respectful respectful."
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...mpdnhiio?hl=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #1159
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
I'm only halfway through the thread so this may have been said already. But a good trick is that anytime you hear someone accused of being "politically correct", substitute the word "respectful" and you usually get a more accurate reflection of what the politically correct person means.

Example:

"People saying Don Cherry is a racist for his comments about new Canadians are just being politically correct respectful."

"People who think gay people deserves equal rights are just being politically correct respectful."

"People who don't use the "r" word are just being politically correct respectful."
What an idiotic equivalency this is. Eventually we Canadians are going to get so ‘respectful’ that we lose our ability to share opinions, debate ideas and seek truth in a public forum.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #1160
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
we lose our ability to share opinions, debate ideas and seek truth in a public forum.
Has anyone tried to stop you, or anyone you know, from sharing opinions? If so, when?

Last edited by Mathgod; 11-13-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote