Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #3621
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Did you have the dual clutch in your E550? Mine isn't a dual clutch (that's only on the AMG CLS) so I find the paddles a bit unsatisfying unless I specifically put it in manual mode. Like if I'm just in drive and go to shift with the paddles, I find them to be a bit lazy/slow. Usually use them just for gearing down versus tapping the brakes.
No, it was the ZF automatic, but my tune had additional parameters changed to improve shift speed. It still wasn't DCT fast, and slower than my Graziano ASM, but it was better than the standard software configuration from Mercedes.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #3622
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Column shifters. There's nothing better. I can't believe all the fataing around car manufacturers do to complicate a feature that was basically great since the 40s? 50s? For sure 60s. They're just so out of the way, don't take up any centre console space, and are easy AF to use. Down for drive. Up for reverse. Done.

My 2012 Mercedes still has one. Looks like this:

It looks like new Benz models still have this.

Are they the only manufacturer still using column shifters? Maybe base model trucks still do (the ones with the jump seat between the two front captain's seats)? I'm sure there are others, but man alive, it's nuts how many fataed up gear shifters are out there and worse is how many destroy any hope of a reasonable centre console layout for other things.

Column shifters forever (unless you're going manual, of course).
I am fine with the column shifter in my Tesla. The one thing about the MB column shifter is that it looks kind of cheap for a luxury vehicle.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:38 PM   #3623
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Reddit had a good story about how Heninger is advertising RAV4 Hybrids at MSRP. Except it's actually a pre-order and it requires a $7,000+ "package" that includes extended warranty, undercoating, and some sort of unobtanium....

Hopefully this chip shortage eases, but I'm sure the manufacturers are loving moving vehicles without incentives. After this shortage ends, I suspect they will try and keep prices high by carefully managing production. But I'm sure we can count on FCA/Stelllantis to do something Kevin Lowe-ish to win marketshare and wreck that collusion....
Do you have a link to that reddit thread or group? I'd be curious to read it. I bought a 2022 Mazda CX-30 GT Turbo that I ended up paying around $4000 over MSRP for paint protection package, deluxe winter package (floor mats and block heater ) and safety/security (window etching I guess) All high dealer profit items but originally they wanted about $7000 over MSRP so I dealt down a bit from that. It's the nature of the business right now. It was hard to even find the SUV i wanted anywhere so its definitely a sellers market right now.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #3624
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I am fine with the column shifter in my Tesla. The one thing about the MB column shifter is that it looks kind of cheap for a luxury vehicle.

Until recently Tesla were using the Mercedes-Benz column shifter in the Model S and X...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #3625
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

MB interiors in general look cheap.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #3626
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
MB interiors in general look cheap.
Mmmm, I don't know about this. What years/models are you thinking?

I think they're befitting of the price. They aren't perfect, and they went through a really awkward phase that I think infects some of their models to this day (those ugly screens inelegantly duct taped to the dash and secured with L-brackets), but their fit and finish, touch points, materials choices, plastics, carpeting, etc. are generally very nice. I prefer MB interiors to BMW. Audi I'd place somewhere in the middle. They're not Rolls Royce, but you get a high-end interior for the price with most of their models.

I also like the digital infotainment & gauge cluster screens in the newest models, too. No idea how this will age, though, and I'm glad my layout is analogue because I never have to worry about lag, or fataed up pixels or anything. Still looks cool as I sit here today, though:
Spoiler!

Not a fan of this style, though (with the tablet - 2014 C-Class pictured):
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #3627
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup, it is that second pic that turned me off MBs when I was looking.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #3628
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Yup, it is that second pic that turned me off MBs when I was looking.
Yeah, totally. That was such a terrible phase for them. Amateur hour at MB for half a decade. I think prior to that and post that they look nice and are a nice place to be.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #3629
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Mmmm, I don't know about this. What years/models are you thinking?

I think they're befitting of the price. They aren't perfect, and they went through a really awkward phase that I think infects some of their models to this day (those ugly screens inelegantly duct taped to the dash and secured with L-brackets), but their fit and finish, touch points, materials choices, plastics, carpeting, etc. are generally very nice. I prefer MB interiors to BMW. Audi I'd place somewhere in the middle. They're not Rolls Royce, but you get a high-end interior for the price with most of their models.

I also like the digital infotainment & gauge cluster screens in the newest models, too. No idea how this will age, though, and I'm glad my layout is analogue because I never have to worry about lag, or fataed up pixels or anything. Still looks cool as I sit here today, though:
Spoiler!

Not a fan of this style, though (with the tablet - 2014 C-Class pictured):
As you said, it's relative to the price point though. The interior pictured is a base C-Class, so of course some corners will be cut when it comes to materials, etc. I had a 2015 C63 and - despite the tablet that everyone was doing at that point - it was was a pretty nice interior with the sport seats, carbon, leather dash, contrast stitching, etc... It didn't really give up much to the contemporary S Class.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #3630
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Reddit had a good story about how Heninger is advertising RAV4 Hybrids at MSRP. Except it's actually a pre-order and it requires a $7,000+ "package" that includes extended warranty, undercoating, and some sort of unobtanium....

Hopefully this chip shortage eases, but I'm sure the manufacturers are loving moving vehicles without incentives. After this shortage ends, I suspect they will try and keep prices high by carefully managing production. But I'm sure we can count on FCA/Stelllantis to do something Kevin Lowe-ish to win marketshare and wreck that collusion....
Yep, it's bonkers out there.

We thought it might be time to replace our 2010 Rav and were promptly curb stomped.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #3631
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

Until recently Tesla were using the Mercedes-Benz column shifter in the Model S and X...
I drive a Model 3. What's your point here though as Tesla isn't exactly a company I would use as an example of high quality?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-20-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:09 AM   #3632
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saying that you're "fine" with your Tesla's column shifter while you think Mercedes-Benz's is "cheap" just seems contradictory, considering they were until recently quite literally the exact same part.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:41 AM   #3633
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I am fine with the column shifter in my Tesla.
Promotes Tesla column shifter.

Quote:
The one thing about the MB column shifter is that it looks kind of cheap for a luxury vehicle.
Denigrates MB column shifter.

Spoiler!
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2022, 06:29 AM   #3634
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Promotes Tesla column shifter.

Denigrates MB column shifter.

Spoiler!
The column shifter in a model 3 is not an MB part and looks nothing like the one Silver posted. Both of you are being clearly obtuse here.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-21-2022 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #3635
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The column shifter on my old 2014 E550 coupe had a more substantial build to it:

Seems that Mercedes has tried to make it less beefy (and subsequently it looks cheap). Mercedes in general has been dropping the ball with some of their interior fittings, like their creaking interior trim on brand new cars.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 07-21-2022 at 10:34 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2022, 08:15 AM   #3636
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Do you have a link to that reddit thread or group? I'd be curious to read it. I bought a 2022 Mazda CX-30 GT Turbo that I ended up paying around $4000 over MSRP for paint protection package, deluxe winter package (floor mats and block heater ) and safety/security (window etching I guess) All high dealer profit items but originally they wanted about $7000 over MSRP so I dealt down a bit from that. It's the nature of the business right now. It was hard to even find the SUV i wanted anywhere so its definitely a sellers market right now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ealerships_in/

A less egregious form of this happened to me on an hot selling XLE AWD Sienna back in 2016 that was in stock at a dealer in Edmonton. $3,000 or so in accessories, but at least most of them I wanted (OEM remote starter, 3m). Just a classic go-to move for dealers on hot selling in stock vehicles I guess. Which also leads to pre-order vehicles for customers being diverted to walkup customers willing to pay up....and blamed on "production delays"....

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 07-21-2022 at 08:19 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:20 AM   #3637
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's definitely been quite a steady decline in build quality from their 107/124 glory years. I know these days the focus is all on tech and whizbang, but I wish MB still built interiors (and cars in general) that feel like they could last forever.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #3638
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It's definitely been quite a steady decline in build quality from their 107/124 glory years. I know these days the focus is all on tech and whizbang, but I wish MB still built interiors (and cars in general) that feel like they could last forever.
There's just so much electronic hardware in new cars that automakers have to cut weight everywhere they can and that sometimes leads to plastic assemblies that don't feel overly sturdy. I still think the 2000 decade was the worst for interiors as that was the decade of the hard plastic dash that led to a lot of rattle trap cars. Automakers have moved back to soft touch materials on dashes now but yes many aren't as tight as they could be. I will say the interior in my wife's GV70 is put together very well and the assemblies feel tight. We will find out if they hold up over time. Porsche, Audi (not counting the new S3 and Q3) and BMW still build pretty tight interiors that don't move when you push on them as with MB interiors.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:45 AM   #3639
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
As you said, it's relative to the price point though. The interior pictured is a base C-Class, so of course some corners will be cut when it comes to materials, etc. I had a 2015 C63 and - despite the tablet that everyone was doing at that point - it was was a pretty nice interior with the sport seats, carbon, leather dash, contrast stitching, etc... It didn't really give up much to the contemporary S Class.
I just traded in a 2019 GLC 43 AMG and the console looked exactly like that photo.
Yes it had leather seats, cross stitching, carbon etc but still very very close to that photo infront of you.

I think the 2020 or newer is much nicer however as that's when they switched to the wider digital display.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #3640
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I just traded in a 2019 GLC 43 AMG and the console looked exactly like that photo.
Yes it had leather seats, cross stitching, carbon etc but still very very close to that photo infront of you.

I think the 2020 or newer is much nicer however as that's when they switched to the wider digital display.
To be fair, your GLC43 was still two-rungs down from the top of the GLC line... It's been six years since I had my C63, but IIRC, the 63 trim (across the lineup) has options that aren't available on the 43 that make it a nicer place to be (available Nappa leather, etc).

The wider display is a HUGE improvement, but I find it hard to fault and single out Mercedes when everyone else was doing the same thing. I still think they (MB) were one of the best at a bad point in design with the tacked on tablet, and I believe they're ahead of most of their peers in moving to a more integrated dash again. For example, your new X7 still has a "tacked on tablet look", whereas the GLS has that nice, wide, integrated screen...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote