Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #1121
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we need to take this in stride. This is going to push guys up the lineup. I think BT still needs to look at what went wrong when he acquired Brower, and Neal. For the type of player he was looking for he probably should have went with someone who agreed to shorter-term. He could then see what type of player he was getting or if that player fit the chemistry of the team. Lucic on the 4th line won't sway the needle. Nothing to see here I think the Flames will be fine!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #1122
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the Flames aren't worse...Neal was useless last season
Old 07-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #1123
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't really like this. But if you saddle Jankowski with Lucic on the 4th line you've got a center who doesn't really know how to use his linemates with a guy who's probably not even in the zone yet. I just hope Lucic still has some quality board play left in him.

And maybe some truculence.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #1124
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It’s just odd to regularly visit someplace that you find annoying
I mean you do you but that’s weird
Perhaps it would help if the mods posted a scale of what level of hyperbole is acceptable on Calgarypuck.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #1125
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

After a couple of beers this still makes no sense.

But at this point it's done. I just hope that even if Lucic has rock hands, can't skate and looks like a beer league guy out there he at least would bring effort. I couldn't stand watching Neal being a bum and not giving a ####.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #1126
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is true. There's at least no illusion or disappointment from Lucic expecting to be top six in the lineup. He's 3rd or 4th LW. Neal was sold top line minutes, Lindholm found instant amazing chemistry with 13 and 23, and he wasn't really playing well enough to supplant Frolik who was struggling on the 2nd line either.

Neals mindset was poisoned from day #1 in china and had played far too much hockey in the previous 2 seasons to really go out and elevate his play.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #1127
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Any quotes out there by Neal on his new team?
I'll bet he's excited to have guaranteed longer offseasons.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #1128
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am actually shocked people are still so upset about this. I found out from my best friend who is an Oilers fanatic and he hated it, and at that point it was 1 for 1. I responded saying I’d rather Neal but after learning about the retained salary and the pick I hated it less. Then I remembered the awkward exchange Neal and Peters had at practice during the playoffs. Then I checked Lucic stats on HockeyDB to remind me that he was a beast. Then I read how he chatted with some old/current Flames, specifically Iggy. Then I remembered outside of Tkachuk and sometimes Bennet this team lacked grit. I started liking the trade more.

Lucic as a Bruin was a beast. I think this team needs a player like him even if he is 1/3 of the guy he use to be. And that’s OK because we gave them a guy that did nothing except underperform and argue with coach. Neal has his chances and just didn’t deliver. The difference here is that Lucic doesn’t need to score to be very effective for the Flames.

I didn’t like it at first but I do now.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #1129
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We’ve had guys not waive their no move clauses to come here.

I know everyone is looking to get out of Edmonton but he waived to come here. He could of squashed the deal.... but he didn’t.

He wants to play here. Let’s move forward and support him!
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #1130
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Source: Capfriendly

CLAUSE DETAILS: June 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 - Modified NTC: Submits a list of 8 teams he can be traded to / July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 - Modified NTC: Submits a list of 10 teams he can be traded to

NTC do not need to be protected for expansion draft that will occur in June 2021. Just full NMCs.

Let's stop worrying about NMC when it comes.to protecting for expansion draft. Lucic is clearly a NTC at that time.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #1131
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Flames trade Neal for Lucic (Oilers retain 12.5%) and conditional 2020 3rd

As mad as I am about the NMC and buyout proof nature of the contract, after decompressing a bit and looking at it objectively, I don’t this trade is necessarily as bad as it initially seems.

I took the last 20+ minutes or so looking at some highlights of Lucic’s better games over this and last season and I’m actually sort of looking forward to seeing what Lucic can do in a Flames Jersey now or at the very least, I don’t hate this as much as I did 6 hours ago.

https://youtu.be/di7a1Y7HxK0

https://youtu.be/zlDfCy1QbTA

If you watch closely, Lucic is all over the highlights and it actually looks like he could provide the Flames with some much needed elements.

From what I saw, he’s not as slow as I thought, he has a heavy presence in front of the net, can create chaos, strong in corners and can protect the puck and make plays, hits hard on the forecheck to create turnovers, hockey iq isn’t bad, has decent vision and can make an outlet pass.

Coupled with the physicality and toughness and I don’t think I completely hate the player. Neal may or may not be able to find his scoring touch with McDavid, but I really think he’ll be better than what Neal would be in the same situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #1132
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

If anything, Hamonic won't have to fight.

Lucic will be better in front of the net on the 2nd PP.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #1133
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
Source: Capfriendly

CLAUSE DETAILS: June 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 - Modified NTC: Submits a list of 8 teams he can be traded to / July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 - Modified NTC: Submits a list of 10 teams he can be traded to

NTC do not need to be protected for expansion draft that will occur in June 2021. Just full NMCs.

Let's stop worrying about NMC when it comes.to protecting for expansion draft. Lucic is clearly a NTC at that time.
...... it clearly shows a comma and NMC in those seasons as well.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #1134
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lucic 7th in league in hits.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #1135
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
As mad as I am about the NMC and buyout proof nature of the contract, after decompressing a bit and looking at it objectively, I don’t this trade is necessarily as bad as it initially seems.

I took the last 20+ minutes or so looking at some highlights of Lucic’s better games over this and last season and I’m actually sort of looking forward to seeing what Lucic can do in a Flames Jersey now or at the very least, I don’t hate this as much as I did 6 hours ago.

https://youtu.be/di7a1Y7HxK0

https://youtu.be/zlDfCy1QbTA

If you watch closely, Lucic is all over the highlights and it actually looks like he could provide the Flames with some much needed elements.

From what I saw, he’s not as slow as I thought, he has a heavy presence in front of the net, can create chaos, strong in corners and can protect the puck and make plays, hits hard on the forecheck to create turnovers, hockey iq isn’t bad, has decent vision and can make an outlet pass.

Coupled with the physicality and toughness and I don’t think I completely hate the player. Neal may or may not be able to find his scoring touch with McDavid, but I really think he’ll be better than what Neal would be in the same situations.

I don’t know where Lucic was doing all those things (besides hitting) but it wasn’t with the oilers. He was easily the worst forward on the ice a lot of nights and that’s saying a lot seeing what the oilers ice for forwards.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #1136
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Does that mean we don’t have to hear your hot Monahan takes anymore?
Thank you so much Miss Teeks for not quoting "Love
" and rendered my ignoring him useful.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #1137
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don’t know where Lucic was doing all those things (besides hitting) but it wasn’t with the oilers. He was easily the worst forward on the ice a lot of nights and that’s saying a lot seeing what the oilers ice for forwards.

Did you see Lucic in the Minnesota highlights? Guy was everywhere and making plays on top of it all. I never saw that kind of ability from Neal any point this season. He was a complete black hole offensively.

I wasn’t expecting much when I clicked on those highlights, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the little things he can do especially along the boards and around the net. The nifty plays and heaviness is something the Flames can use.

The Oilers may have ultimately misused him for the last 1.5 seasons I’m thinking. With a better supporting cast, maybe his career turns around like Justin Schultz.

Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #1138
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I love this trade. I've never had a problem with Looch, and I really, really despised James Neal. He has such a smug, arrogant, punch-able face and he is terrible at the game of hockey.
I gotta be honest, I don't believe you.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #1139
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is poor asset management.

Both these players have little value so you could let them both sit.
So before the trade it was 5.75 million sitting in the press box now it’s 5.25 million. I suppose that could be a meaningful amount but I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

From a buyout perspective Neal would have a 2 mil cap hit for 8 years. Lucic has a 3.5-4.5 million cap hit for 4 years than 500k for the next. The flames current window is the next 2-3 years so if buyout is considered Neal was the better contract.

From an expansion draft standpoint it adds risk. I think their was a possibility of going 4-4-1 and giving up our 5th best forward to protect Kylington. Now that option is off the table unless Lucic were to waive. It is likely though that our 4th D will be better than our 7th best forward so the NMC likely has no affect but does reduce flexibility

So why do this?

I have seen the dressing room arguments but I think this comes down to the flames ownership being cheap. Calgary saves bout 7 million in real dollars over the course of the year. Same as when Kotilik was dumped.

I think if Neal was a problem a Neal buyout made more sense as a 3.5 million dollar player plus Neal’s dead cap number is better than Lucic for our Window.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #1140
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I just hope Lucic gives a care out there.

Does this trade make owning a Neal jersey cooler? ####

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote