Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #2081
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
Awww, look at master race getting along!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I should just repost that monkey knife fight picture.

Edit:

"Dance, monkey dance!"

Seriously though, why shouldn't we all get along? We're all gamers here. And when I say "gamers", I also mean that some of us are also "gaming "addicts".
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #2082
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
You must have a short memory.

It's the exact same way the majority of xbox360 fanboys carried themselves during the last generation, and that's not even debatable.

I'm glad the Xbone is consistently getting sh*t on lately when being compared to PS4.

Xbone isn't on my radar - I have no stake in it. I have a PS4, and I'll get a WiiU and build a high end gaming PC before I even consider getting an Xbone. But you can be sure I'm enjoying all the hate and trolling you xbone fanboys are being subjected too right now.
Short memory? Not I. In fact I could have sworn there was endless PS fanboy banter about the supposed superiority if the cell processor and the PS3 hardware.

Oh and I'm not an Xbox fanboy. I'm a fan of good games and find the whole fanboyism thing silly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #2083
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Here is a chart of where MS makes its money. I post this as a follow up to the discussion about Sony's long term financial outlook. I'm a little surprised the Xbox means so little in terms of MS's overall income, I thought it was more important.

Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #2084
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
It's not my list just something that I've seen around on gaming forums. I didn't realize that it might be "cherry picked", is it missing a bunch of exclusive retail games for one or the other?
I noticed it was missing Alan Wake which was an Xbox exclusive, although now it is on PC, so maybe that's why it's not there. But you can't play it on PS3.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #2085
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Short memory? Not I. In fact I could have sworn there was endless PS fanboy banter about the supposed superiority if the cell processor and the PS3 hardware.

Oh and I'm not an Xbox fanboy. I'm a fan of good games and find the whole fanboyism thing silly.
Well you are calling others "fanboys" for thinking the PS4 is a superior system. All I have said is that I prefer the PS4 and this whole "xbox is so innovative" thing is total BS to me for reasons I have already explained.

I am also a fan of good games, used to prefer Microsoft but I think the PS4 is far superior this time around. Heck I even like the Wii U they are actually doing something different. If that makes me a fanboy so be it but you are doing the same thing.

Last edited by dino7c; 02-05-2014 at 01:44 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #2086
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
yeah they are basically the same lol...come on man

PS4 is going to be streaming games soon! that is as big as an advancement as there is.
That's been happening since 2000. Before Sony bought a company that does it .if that's a big advancement then that's sad.People rip on Microsoft for always having to be online with cloud gaming aren't you gonna have to be online.

Quote:
both do movies on demand, music, internet, online play, ect. All things not featured on the PSone
Like I said adding stuff...you could play music on the PS one.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #2087
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm, this is surprising. I wonder what this means for future support for Killer Instinct.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/05/ama...e-helix-games/

Amazon Acquires Video Gaming Studio Double Helix Games
Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #2088
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will admit it, I have xb1 and I love it. I bought a PS4 and sold it a week later. The reason for that is because I was an idiot and spent money that I shouldn't have and two, I would be buying the same game twice to play on different consoles. I really cant stand the PS controller at all.

I've owned the following systems
Nentendo
Sega Genesis
Saga dreamcast
PS
PS2
PS3
XB360
XB1
PS4

Most of my gaming friends are on XB1 and it was easier for me to be on it. It also helped that I got XB1 and a game at what a PS4 would have cost. I did like the share icon on the PS4 though, that seemed cool to me. But that dang controller sucked. I bought madden with it and struggled hitting the wrong buttons on accident over and over. The main thing that it boiled down to for me were the friends, and I just liked the system better than the ps4. Both are good systems I just like the xbone more the PS4

I've never owned a gaming PC and I think I am going to build one next. Just buy one part every check and build it up.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #2089
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Well you are calling others "fanboys" for thinking the PS4 is a superior system. All I have said is that I prefer the PS4 and this whole "xbox is so innovative" thing is total BS to me for reasons I have already explained.
Your reasons are wrong and completely ignorant. MS has done several things that have never been done on a console before.

1) It runs on a hypervisor and virtual machines that allows for multi-tasking, quick switching between applications, and will allow MS to add tons of new features in the future.

2) HDMI pass-through, voice enabled everything, and auto-login with Kinect facial recognition are all brand new to consoles.

3) A customizable (sort of) UI that allows you to pin apps and games for quick access. It also allows you to watch TV while you play a game and snap between them whenever you want.

How useful these features are to you or how well MS has executed them is fully debatable. You want to make a case that the hypervisor is a waste of resources and bring no value to gamers? Sure. But saying that MS hasn't at least tried to innovate and bring new things to the console is really, really wrong. It's like saying the PS4 is nothing more than a PS3 with more GB's and wi-fi's, which is equally as wrong.

Maybe do some research or try one out at a buddy's place before making such a false statement.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #2090
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/31/micr...leaker-report/

Quote:
Microsoft seeks legal action against Xbox One leaker – report

Xbox One rumours went crazy this week, thanks to a tipster called ntkrnl. From Forza Horizon 2 and Crackdown 3, to Titanfall-branded consoles and everything between, nothing was off the table, and Microsoft is now seeking legal action.

Here’s a recap of everything ntkrnl leaked:
Kotaku has been digging into the matter and has reported that Microsoft is now seeking legal action to identify and bring in the informant. As the site suggests, this doesn’t mean that any of the above is true, but we’ll update you as we hear more.
Quote:
PlayStation Now 'is a joke', says Pachter

No third-party publisher will let games less than two years old be rented or streamed, analyst says.

Industry analyst Michael Pachter has slammed Sony's upcoming streaming service PlayStation Now, labelling it a "joke" and claiming that "no publisher" will allow any title less than two years old to appear on the service.
"PlayStation Now is a joke," he said in the latest issue of Game Informer. "There is no publisher that is going to license content that's less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can't sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental.
"This has no prayer of working. None."
SCEA's marketing VP John Koller, however, claims that "publishers are being exceedingly bullish" about the prospect of PlayStation Now, although Sony has yet to officially announce any of the service's third-party partners.
The service lets users stream PlayStation titles to a variety of devices, including tablets, smartphones and Bravia TVs.
A closed beta for PlayStation Now is currently underway in the US with the full service due to launch this summer. The service is expected to launch in the UK next year.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/plays...s_pachter.html
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #2091
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
"PlayStation Now is a joke," he said in the latest issue of Game Informer. "There is no publisher that is going to license content that's less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can't sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental.
Because quotes like that have never blown up in the face of those who said them in the tech industry
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #2092
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Hmmm, this is surprising. I wonder what this means for future support for Killer Instinct.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/05/ama...e-helix-games/

Amazon Acquires Video Gaming Studio Double Helix Games
I would assume very little. The Killer Instinct IP is owned by Microsoft not Double Helix. I would imagine they'll continue to produce the content they were hired to do.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #2093
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Here is a chart of where MS makes its money. I post this as a follow up to the discussion about Sony's long term financial outlook. I'm a little surprised the Xbox means so little in terms of MS's overall income, I thought it was more important.
Considering the majority of people who use a computer at work has Windows and some version of Office that costs between $400 and $1000 between them, it really isn't surprising. Not counting Server CAL costs, which are quite high, and without having anything to base it on, I bet they sell just as many units and the overhead for for software being way less than the console.

The only advantage the business model for Xbox has is the licensing fees for each game.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #2094
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
It also helped that I got XB1 and a game at what a PS4 would have cost.
How did you pull that off?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #2095
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
If I recall correctly he got it at Target and had some discounts.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #2096
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Because quotes like that have never blown up in the face of those who said them in the tech industry
I like Patcher, seems like a nice guy and I see him on Gametrailers all the time on his "Patch-Attack" segment. He hates Neogaf though as they do tend to call him out like crazy. But like anybody (and us backseat forum go-ers), he's probably wrong a reasonable amount of time.

His quote looks a little funny considering the agreements and service that Sony already has in place with Playstation Plus. Why wouldn't publishers license content when they are already doing so and being compensated to allow subscribers to download games for free into perpetuity (for the entire length of time that they keep that subscription)? And isn't Playstation Now going to be focusing on older generation games at the start anyhow?

I think this is a 12 month running list of free EU games that you'll be able to download and play whenever you want if you've had PS+ (NA would be a little different):

Spoiler!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #2097
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think Pachter is necessarily wrong in his assessment. Would you expect GTAV to show up anytime soon on a let's say for the sake of argument, a $15 dollar all-you-can play subscription when it is still selling for $60 a pop?

But to say that there is no market for PS Now is short sighted as well - look at Netflix, until recently, their sole market was old re-runs and even with exclusives and getting some content quicker (i.e. some episodes are now showing up as quickly as the following season), that is still the vast majority of their market. If it is priced right and has the content that people want, I can't see how it can't work out. Heck, I'm the king of picking up old games that I missed on those ridiculous Steam sales (and never getting around playing them lol). I see PS Now as a cost effective way for console owners to get at those old titles and there is definitely a market for that.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #2098
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PS4:900p-XBone:720p-PC:...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
My fiancé is a drug dealer for target. 10% employee discount
5% red card discount
5% pharmacy rewards discount
10% off electronics discount

It was awesome.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #2099
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
I don't think Pachter is necessarily wrong in his assessment. Would you expect GTAV to show up anytime soon on a let's say for the sake of argument, a $15 dollar all-you-can play subscription when it is still selling for $60 a pop?

But to say that there is no market for PS Now is short sighted as well - look at Netflix, until recently, their sole market was old re-runs and even with exclusives and getting some content quicker (i.e. some episodes are now showing up as quickly as the following season), that is still the vast majority of their market. If it is priced right and has the content that people want, I can't see how it can't work out. Heck, I'm the king of picking up old games that I missed on those ridiculous Steam sales (and never getting around playing them lol). I see PS Now as a cost effective way for console owners to get at those old titles and there is definitely a market for that.
For those of us who never owned a PS3 I am looking forward to playing older games I have missed out on.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #2100
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
My fiancé is a drug dealer for target. 10% employee discount
5% red card discount
5% pharmacy rewards discount
10% off electronics discount

It was awesome.
It's kind of a funny way to justify getting rid of the PS4 though, since had you bought it at Target it still would have been cheaper than the BX1. You had plenty of reasons, but that one just seems odd to include.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 02-06-2014 at 09:34 AM.