Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #601
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Feaster inherited a team with the worst collection of under-26 players and prospects in the NHL. And there's no way the decision on whether to rebuild was left in Feaster's hands. Not with Murray Edwards and Ken King running the show. And it's hard to blame Feaster for the return on Iginla when Iginla gave him a list of only four teams he'd accept a trade to, and then put the kibosh on a trade to one of those teams at the last minute.
I'm so glad Khoklachev and Bartkowski never amounted to anything much, that would have been a bitter pill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #602
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can never get the closed caption to work on the Flames site, on some of the other NHL pages it does works. Hard to enjoy and follow without a summary of whats being said..
Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #603
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think you’re remembering it wrong. Feaster refused to even discuss rebuilding until his teams sucked so hard that they were forced to. Before that he tried to sign Brad Richards to an insane deal. He dealt Regehr and kept Sarich instead. He got next to nothing for Iginla and Bouwmeester who still had a year left on his deals. He almost gave up Monahan for O’Reilly. Iginla should’ve been traded a year or two before he did. Did you forgot the fool me twice? He threatened to trade players one deadline if they didn’t show anything and then we stunk it up and he traded nobody.

Feaster was a disaster through and through. Thank god Brad Richards didn’t sign here.
I’d venture to say that the refusal to rebuild was more of an ownership mandate than Feaster’s plan of attack. I think there was a desire to give the best player in Flames history a cup with the Flames. I don’t think we were ever going to trade him until it became clear he couldn’t win a cup with us. I believe a lot of us fans even at the time never thought it was even a possibility that Iggy wouldn’t finish his career with us until that final season.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #604
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No need to have closed captioning on this one.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #605
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Completely hypothetical, but if NYI decides that they are unlikely to sign Tavares before he is UFA and they shopped his rights, and assuming the trade was contingent on the other team coming to an agreement with Tavares; what kind of package would the Flames have to give up for him? Could we even afford it?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #606
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Completely hypothetical, but if NYI decides that they are unlikely to sign Tavares before he is UFA and they shopped his rights, and assuming the trade was contingent on the other team coming to an agreement with Tavares; what kind of package would the Flames have to give up for him? Could we even afford it?
I don't think anyone would give up anything for his rights. You can talk to him for free next week.

Even if someone decides they must have a 1 or 2 day exclusive window, it shouldn't cost much.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #607
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I don't think anyone would give up anything for his rights. You can talk to him for free next week.

Even if someone decides they must have a 1 or 2 day exclusive window, it shouldn't cost much.
If I recall, the negotiation period before free agency is relatively new, correct? I suppose that the trades for negotiation rights made more sense before the institution of the negotiation period.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #608
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were talking to John Shannon on Fan960 and he mentioned that JT is getting married this summer and this weekend is his guys weekend out in California. Kind of aligns with being in the area of his agencies HQ for the 24th. I don't know how much time you will get with him before the interview period starts.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #609
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
If I recall, the negotiation period before free agency is relatively new, correct? I suppose that the trades for negotiation rights made more sense before the institution of the negotiation period.
Introduced in the 2013 CBA IIRC. And it is called an interview period because no terms and $ is supposed to be discussed (like anyone sticks to that rule )

I mean trades for rights still make sense in some regards. Like trading for weeks ahead of the interview period for a long exclusive negotiating window.

Another situation where it might make sense is if a team and player agrees to terms during the interview period and the team acquires the rights to sign the player right away instead of waiting until July 1st. This scenario would be in case the team is worried the player may back out or be convinced to back out by another team.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #610
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
No need to have closed captioning on this one.

So your saying this one should be easy to lipread? Well I could do it but I might still miss a few details.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #611
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Insider trading:
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider...rlsson~1423559

there is a list of teams wanting to acquire EK including Vegas
McKenzie says the problem with Vegas is that there is a serious disagreement over how Vegas taking Bobby Ryan's contract with EK will affect the trade return for Ottawa.

offers on the table for Kovalchuk.
down to 3 teams LA, SJS, and Bruins
question for Kovalchuk is it better to wait and see what happens with Tavares

Canadiens very interested in ROR but sticking point is that Buffalo wants the 3rd OA pick to be part of the return
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #612
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think you’re remembering it wrong. Feaster refused to even discuss rebuilding until his teams sucked so hard that they were forced to. Before that he tried to sign Brad Richards to an insane deal. He dealt Regehr and kept Sarich instead. He got next to nothing for Iginla and Bouwmeester who still had a year left on his deals. He almost gave up Monahan for O’Reilly. Iginla should’ve been traded a year or two before he did. Did you forgot the fool me twice? He threatened to trade players one deadline if they didn’t show anything and then we stunk it up and he traded nobody.

Feaster was a disaster through and through. Thank god Brad Richards didn’t sign here.
It’s already been said, but I’ll say it again. Feasted was given a mandate. Re-sign Iggy and push for the playoffs. Once it was known Iggy was not re-signing here Feaster was given the green light for a re-build.
He was saddled with a team having no prospects and old, slow, high contract players with NTC contracts. Hell, most aren’t even playing hockey anymore. What does that tell you about the team he Inherited?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #613
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
It’s already been said, but I’ll say it again. Feasted was given a mandate. Re-sign Iggy and push for the playoffs. Once it was known Iggy was not re-signing here Feaster was given the green light for a re-build.
He was saddled with a team having no prospects and old, slow, high contract players with NTC contracts. Hell, most aren’t even playing hockey anymore. What does that tell you about the team he Inherited?
It tells me that despite talking about being intellectually honesty all the time, he himself was not intellectually honest enough to tell ownership when the rebuild should’ve started. There was several seasons he should’ve sold at the deadline if he was indeed intellectually honest about how competitive the Flames were but he didn’t. He got fooled thrice.

Feaster sucked at getting the Flames to be competitive in Iggy’s last few years and wasn’t intellectually honest about when the rebuild should’ve started. Feaster then proceeded to suck at getting good value for veterans when he was forced to rebuild. The Iginla trade I understand he was handicapped somewhat. But dealing Bouwmeester with a year left on his deal? He got terrible value there.

Wasn’t he once quoted as saying he didn’t try to win trades? The guy was a dolt IMO. Just an embarrassing period to be a Flames fan
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #614
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It tells me that despite talking about being intellectually honesty all the time, he himself was not intellectually honest enough to tell ownership when the rebuild should’ve started. There was several seasons he should’ve sold at the deadline if he was indeed intellectually honest about how competitive the Flames were but he didn’t. He got fooled thrice.
Feaster was hired by Ken King to be a yes-man. If he was the kind of guy who told King and ownership what they didn't want to hear - that the Flames weren't going to have any real success led by a 30-something Iginla and his pals - he wouldn't have been hired in the first place. Feaster couldn't have started the rebuild when it should have been done because he didn't have the authority.

There's a reason Burke was brought in, and then why Treliving had to be given assurance of less meddling from above when he signed his latest contract: Ken King is a meddling president who mucks around in matters he has no expertise in. Murray Edward belatedly realized this, and put the buffers in place to try to keep King out of hockey operations.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #615
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
So your saying this one should be easy to lipread? Well I could do it but I might still miss a few details.
More like there are no details. Just guarded general stuff, which is exactly what you want your GM saying the day before the draft.

Bring on the trades!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #616
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster bumbled his way into a couple of good deals.

A 5th for Kris Russell is exactly the kind of trade this team could have used last summer.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #617
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Feaster bumbled his way into a couple of good deals.

A 5th for Kris Russell is exactly the kind of trade this team could have used last summer.
Russell had cleared waivers like 2 days before Feaster gave a 5th for him, IIRC
Old 06-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #618
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

More rumors from TSN:
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/will-gr...island~1423568

Trotz hiring makes Tavares re-signing with Isles more likely but Tavares is still considering the Isles roster, such as goaltending

5-6+ teams interested in Grubauer
Isles + Canes in East. Det+Chi+Avs among those interested in West.
caps are asking for at least a 1st for Grubauer but remains to be seen if they will get it
If/When Grubauer is traded, his camp will look for a bridge deal to prove he is a #1 and setup next contract

Canes offering Lindhom north of $4 million per. His agent is asking for north of $5 million per.
Dundon's marching orders are to trade Lindhom if he is not signed.
Flames remain interested but a number of other teams are keeping an eye on Lindholm
Skinner most likely to be traded, but because Lindholm is drawing more interest because he is a C that can play RW
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #619
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Ken King is a meddling president who mucks around in matters he has no expertise in. Murray Edward belatedly realized this, and put the buffers in place to try to keep King out of hockey operations.
IMO, Ken King was hired to simply be Murray Edwards eyes and ears.

KK didn't make any hockey decisions, he simply relayed the info to ME, who would say yes or nay.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #620
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Russell had cleared waivers like 2 days before Feaster gave a 5th for him, IIRC
Feaster gave up a 5th because it was a sign and trade with the Blues IIRC. If Russell came over unsigned, he could have filed for salary arbitration.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-21-2018 at 07:02 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread