Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #1721
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That course always plays slow and it always slows down on that par 3. Played Innisfail for the first time yesterday and was very impressed by it. Played Aspen and Hazelwood and I only used my driver once. It’s a little tricky if have you have never played there before. I will be going back there again.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #1722
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone ever change their handed-ness for golf? Crazy question I know...

But I play hockey left, bat left, do everything left... Except I golf right. Sometimes I wonder if my struggles with distance and consistency is because I should be golfing left handed. I hit a home run from the dirt left handed last night which sort of got me thinking about it.
I'm the same but there's no going back now. Been golfing right since I was 8-10.

I can hit an ok drive at times left handed, but that isn't worth starting over. Guess it could pay off switch-hitting near a tree.

Get a buddy with left handed clubs and hit the range I guess?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #1723
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Took the day off work tomorrow to golf. Willing to drive an hour outside the city. Where should I golf that I've never been?
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #1724
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speargrass or Innisfail
Old 06-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #1725
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

By yourself?

Could give kananaskis a call. They usually have some single spots available throughout the day.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #1726
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sitting here at D’arcy ranch. Hole 6. There are 3 groups waiting to tee off in front of us. Totally unacceptable. I feel your pain Everfrsh.
D'Arcy sucks for pace. The layout isn't conducive to it. Par 3's followed by reachable Par 5's always slow a course down to a crawl. It doesn't help that #8 is reachable depending on the wind.

Flipping the nine's might help. I find the pace on the back is much better than the front.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #1727
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Speargrass or Innisfail
Might do speargrass actually. Haven't been for a couple seasons. Doing innisfail for the first time later this summer!
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #1728
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Took the day off work tomorrow to golf. Willing to drive an hour outside the city. Where should I golf that I've never been?
If you have never played it, I recommend the Canmore golf and curling club. Fantastic course for the money in the mountains.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #1729
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
If you have never played it, I recommend the Canmore golf and curling club. Fantastic course for the money in the mountains.
I have to disagree.

I've only played once but it was last June when it should have been in good shape. Views are great but relatively plain course and greens were kind of bad. Felt $130 was a rip off.

I would much rather play somewhere in BC for way cheaper, better design, better greens etc. Though obviously can't do that in a day.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #1730
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

If it’s a nice day out... kananaskis is the answer. Man I wish I still lived in Alberta for that alone!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:32 PM   #1731
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Nanton on Sunday.

I really, really like the back 9. 11 is one of the better holes in the Calgary area.

Course is in decent shape, albeit very wet, mud balls everywhere. Greens were a bit soft and inconsistent in speed especially on the back, but rolled true. Fairways were ok, patchy in places, especially the surrounds, but growing in nicely. Looked like it was snowing on the front with all the cottonwood trees shedding seeds everywhere, which was kinda cool.

Bunkers are terrible, probably the worst I’ve seen anywhere. Just hardpan dirt, they really should be marked as ground under repair.#If the course can't mantain them in playable fashion, just fill them in. Or at the very least make them smaller so that you have less sand to manage.

Pace was ok. We teed off at 12:30 and were in the car headed home just before 5pm
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #1732
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I have to disagree.

I've only played once but it was last June when it should have been in good shape. Views are great but relatively plain course and greens were kind of bad. Felt $130 was a rip off.

I would much rather play somewhere in BC for way cheaper, better design, better greens etc. Though obviously can't do that in a day.
It’s $130 now, was that on a weekend? I haven’t had to pay to play it in years I was assuming it was around $80-$85. For that money yeah not worth it. The greens are usually in pretty good shape, when Reid Solodan took over as the course superintendent he made great improvements in the quality of the greens.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #1733
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Won $80.00 in a golf tourney this morning. Ended up with the 2nd low net in my age bracket.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #1734
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Springbank Links today and wow did it get hit hard over the winter. A lot of very spotty areas on the greens, very dry with quite a lot of sod patching and some fairways look terrible.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #1735
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Played Springbank Links today and wow did it get hit hard over the winter. A lot of very spotty areas on the greens, very dry with quite a lot of sod patching and some fairways look terrible.

those guys are giving deals huge right now. I like that course alot but sounds like they may need a new groundskeeper. I do like the fact they are promoting Keto options on their menu now.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #1736
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Played Nanton on Sunday.

I really, really like the back 9. 11 is one of the better holes in the Calgary area.

Course is in decent shape, albeit very wet, mud balls everywhere. Greens were a bit soft and inconsistent in speed especially on the back, but rolled true. Fairways were ok, patchy in places, especially the surrounds, but growing in nicely. Looked like it was snowing on the front with all the cottonwood trees shedding seeds everywhere, which was kinda cool.

Bunkers are terrible, probably the worst I’ve seen anywhere. Just hardpan dirt, they really should be marked as ground under repair.#If the course can't mantain them in playable fashion, just fill them in. Or at the very least make them smaller so that you have less sand to manage.

Pace was ok. We teed off at 12:30 and were in the car headed home just before 5pm
Send me a PM in the future and I can get you on before noon where the pace is much quicker (3 1/2 hours). I get 10 day advanced bookings.

You should have seen it on Tuesday night. It was mens night and hole #2 fairway and green was totally covered in the poplar fluff. It was like a winter wonderland in June. In fact the head pro suggested we play a game of who could lose the most white balls in the fluff. He ended up selling a lot of sleeves of colored balls that night

The fluff is the worst that I've ever seen it. It was really bad during the tourney on Wednesday morning. You were afraid to open your mouth for fear of eating some it, and then the blowing stuff was getting in peoples eyes and causing irritation. We need a strong wind and some good rain to get rid of that crap.

I agree about the sand traps. Us members have long complained but never seem to get any results. All they ever do is dig up the sand and remix it. Part of the problem is due to having the same damned greenskeeper for so many years. I'd like to see him replaced just to get some new and fresh ideas.

We have a par 3 course that's being built beside hole #17. The embarrassing part is that it's taken years to get where it is now, and even then it looks like an amateur job. What a joke.

Last edited by Dion; 06-21-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: more added
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:06 AM   #1737
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I played Carnmoney, Sirocco and GlenEagles this week.

GlenEagles was cart path only today. Greens were not great - sandy, patchy and bumpy.

Back to River Spirit this week. Conditions were great leading up to the AB Open. Hopefully, they keep it that way.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #1738
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
I played Carnmoney, Sirocco and GlenEagles this week.

GlenEagles was cart path only today. Greens were not great - sandy, patchy and bumpy.

Back to River Spirit this week. Conditions were great leading up to the AB Open. Hopefully, they keep it that way.
That would suck. 90° rule is bad enough on that course (or any really) but cart path only would really slow things down. But given the amount of rain I guess it is understandable.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #1739
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get to play Cottonwood tomorrow for the first time... If my meeting doesn't run long.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #1740
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Get to play Cottonwood tomorrow for the first time... If my meeting doesn't run long.
You will enjoy it. It's one of the better courses in Calgary.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow