Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #7081
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Regardless of the type or caliber of bike, you should be able to change a flat on your bike. Flats happen and you shouldn't have to kill a ride because you got one. Fix and go. I avoided learning how to for a while because I thought it would be difficult. It takes unfortunate practice to do it quickly but even after the first one it gets much easier.

Ridley's is Specialized dealer so they're more than capable of fixing a flat on a Roubaix. I've never heard of Specialized, or any bike manufacturer, sending someone to fix a flat and sending your bike away for a flat seems like overkill.
Did you feel that breeze?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #7082
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
I've had my cyclocross bike in storage for a couple of years now and it now needs a tune-up. Would any of you recommend MEC or The Bike Shop? Looking for a central shop if possible.
Both are good. I haven't heard of bad tune-up stories from any local shops really. Their schedule and cost is are usually the big factors.

I have heard bad things about the mobile company Velofix. There are other mobile companies you could look at too.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 06-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #7083
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Did you feel that breeze?
I wanted to ask if it was a joke first but didn't want to come across as an a$$.

Give me green text. I need it.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #7084
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Regardless of the type or caliber of bike, you should be able to change a flat on your bike. Flats happen and you shouldn't have to kill a ride because you got one. Fix and go. I avoided learning how to for a while because I thought it would be difficult. It takes unfortunate practice to do it quickly but even after the first one it gets much easier.

Ridley's is Specialized dealer so they're more than capable of fixing a flat on a Roubaix. I've never heard of Specialized, or any bike manufacturer, sending someone to fix a flat and sending your bike away for a flat seems like overkill.
Yah I haven't owned a bike in probably 10 years so I can't say I remember how! I do plan to get my own bike this summer and will certainly do the maintenance myself. It just wasn't in the cards financially prior to my race this weekend.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #7085
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That's totally fair. Most rides/races have service vehicles that patrol to help out if you need it.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #7086
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Currently peace officers under the 9th street lrt bridge in the detour. I think they are just warning people- but walk it under there.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #7087
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Currently peace officers under the 9th street lrt bridge in the detour. I think they are just warning people- but walk it under there.
A interesting spot there right now.

I walk to and from over the bridge every day and most times I see people trying to ride their bikes past the dismount signs and dodging the people walking and just anarchy sometimes...

But the side lane has been done for a week now.. not sure why its still fenced off.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #7088
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think that because they are build another pathway closer to the river- that they want both parts done before opening. Otherwise you get pedestrians used to using the bike path.

I had been riding through, but not passing pedestrians. So riding at 4-5 km/h.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #7089
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

was having an enjoyable ride to work this morning when my rear duerailler blew apart. i was 12k from home and 5k from the office.

tried to make a partial fix and it did not work and i was reluctant to shorten the chain as it is relatively new. Wound up calling my wife and asked her to pick me up - went and got ready for work.

Dropped my bike off tat the bike shop and am optimistic they can turn it around quickly.

in the past two years i have had so many bike issues and i guess it is payback for all those years when i was younger with no family where i would log 7,000 kms/yr with no issues other than the occasional flat tire.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #7090
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
A interesting spot there right now.
Seems ridiculous to me. They have three or four signs that look like they've been sharpied in with "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" plus the initial "SLOW DOWN" signs they had in place. Apparently a construction worker got hit by a cyclist which obviously sucks, but riding up on the concrete barriers they've put up, and with all the signage... it practically feels like a military barricade. I know that's a bit over-the-top, but the whole thing is really quite ludicrous and a total over reaction. I shake my head riding through it every day. War on bikes, indeed.

IMO the city really missed the boat not requiring a proper detour during construction on one of the most busy pathways downtown. "Cyclists dismount" is not good transportation strategy.

Last edited by Flames0910; 06-19-2018 at 05:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #7091
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ugh, so it cost me $200 yesterday to have the duerailler on my commuter replaced. i also bent the chain and the rear rim need to be trued.......

on the ride in this morning, i passed a couple of guys and had a great pace going and then came around a blind corner only to find that there was a bunch of parts of a broken tree on the path. i managed to slow down, by evntually had a low speed tip over.

after i dusted off my ego, i threw the larger parts of the tree off to the side of the path. i did not study the scene that closely initially; however, it looked pretty random, so i am speculating a branch broke off and fell.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #7092
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

$200? Still cheaper than a bus pass... I think my yearly maintenance is between $200 and $500 which is still less than half what the bus would cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #7093
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
on the ride in this morning, i passed a couple of guys and had a great pace going and then came around a blind corner only to find that there was a bunch of parts of a broken tree on the path.
where was this? down by the river near the ball diamonds?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #7094
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
$200? Still cheaper than a bus pass... I think my yearly maintenance is between $200 and $500 which is still less than half what the bus would cost.
Really appreciating the transit savings right now, as well as just enjoying the ride and exercise.
We'll see how far into the fall I take this. I think as long as it's not wet, I wouldn't mind riding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chingyul For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #7095
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
where was this? down by the river near the ball diamonds?
a little past there towards deerfoot.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #7096
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made it back from a 650km 10 day bikepacking trip between Canmore and Castlegar along the Great Divide and Trans Canada Trail routes. Will have some pictures my friend took in a couple weeks and I took a bit of video so may try to put something together and post it here.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #7097
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
i realized that the bill was closer to $150 - as i also bought a new pair of riding gloves....

it will be an enjoyable ride home this afternoon......
Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #7098
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the wind was blowing in the right direction to push me home and i was feeling like some good strava times would have been available to me.....looks like that will not happen now......

have a fun ride home boys.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #7099
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be watching the radar for a gap...please be a gap!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #7100
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's moving south pretty fast, north looks decent.
Closed Thread