Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #321
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
...And looking at her hair...that is as Swedish a trait as exists, but that doesn't mean anything either.
I am rolling my eyes HARD at this comment.

There was an article a couple years ago (maybe last year?) about how Andersson's fiancé has helped him with his diet and training, and I recall (very vaguely) that it went into some detail about their past.

You might be right, though. I hadn't realized that Andersson didn't even arrive in Canada until he was 17-years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #322
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Her last name is extremely Swedish to me, if she's not directly from there (I think she is) she must have at least some Swedish ancestry.

I saw the article about her helping Rasmus with his diet, that is a great sign moving forward in his career. Looks like it's paid off for him in a big way already, he's taken some huge steps the last couple of years.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #323
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hmmm...maybe I assumed as much as anything.

I just know i heard/read they have been together since they were teenagers, but he did spend some of his teens in Barrie.

And looking at her hair...that is as Swedish a trait as exists, but that doesn't mean anything either.
Last name is Ekelund, which I believe is Swedish.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #324
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this all goes back to the main point. She's not from Calgary so there is no family ties to Calgary. As soon as he's UFA he's signing with his hometown NHL team in Sweden.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #325
imeubu
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Stabilizing presence of Oliver Kylington.
I'm 73 yrs old... coached a lot of hockey. Kylington is a special talent... must be something about "coachability"... if he ever gets settled in with an NHL career and doesn't get hurt... his potential is huge... one of the best naturally intuitive players I've seen. Howe was the best, Kent Neilson, Gretsky excellent... but somewhere down that list... but not all that far down IMO... if Kylington gets a chance to write his legacy... I see easily Top 100 in that category. A real shame if we don't get a chance to see whether I'm right or not. I am of course
imeubu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imeubu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #326
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So this all goes back to the main point. She's not from Calgary so there is no family ties to Calgary. As soon as he's UFA he's signing with his hometown NHL team in Sweden.
Yup........in 2027!
Old 02-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #327
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeubu View Post
I'm 73 yrs old... coached a lot of hockey. Kylington is a special talent... must be something about "coachability"... if he ever gets settled in with an NHL career and doesn't get hurt... his potential is huge... one of the best naturally intuitive players I've seen. Howe was the best, Kent Neilson, Gretsky excellent... but somewhere down that list... but not all that far down IMO... if Kylington gets a chance to write his legacy... I see easily Top 100 in that category. A real shame if we don't get a chance to see whether I'm right or not. I am of course
I might pump the brakes there a little old timer

Kylington skates like an arrow loosed from a bow, but he has a lot to learn. I'm a huge Kylington fan, but he's running out of time to prove he belongs in the big league.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #328
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Kylington skates like an arrow loosed from a bow, but he has a lot to learn. I'm a huge Kylington fan, but he's running out of time to prove he belongs in the big league.
I still think they should try him at wing. He can get away with less defensive instinct and we can use the speed and offensive inclination. You never know right? Maybe we get another Tobias Reider or better versus an AHL tweener D.

Last edited by Psytic; 02-23-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #329
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am rolling my eyes HARD at this comment.

Why? LOL

Is platinum blond hair not a Swedish (As is that whole area of the world) genetic trait??
Old 02-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #330
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Running out of time? He's barely been given an opportunity. Let the kid have a longer leash. He's averaged 13 mins in his career which is crazy low for a dman.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #331
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Why? LOL

Is platinum blond hair not a Swedish (As is that whole area of the world) genetic trait??

LMGTFY

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/21...-map-of-europe
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #332
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeubu View Post
Kylington in the same breath as Neilson and Gretsky- sure. But not Nilsson or Gretzky.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...php?pid=225851

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...y.php?pid=3935
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #333
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Running out of time? He's barely been given an opportunity. Let the kid have a longer leash. He's averaged 13 mins in his career which is crazy low for a dman.
Could still use improvement in his own zone, which is why I suspect Ward seems even more leery of playing him than Peters was.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #334
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Rittich played great last night, and much better than I expected given his recent starts. However, I don't think he stole the game for us.

He played very well and I'm happy to see him gain some well-deserved confidence, especially after playing well in the 2-1 loss to Edmonton. But credit to the team defense, Toronto just didn't seem all too dangerous... there were very few dangerous second chances last night of the fan heart-attack variety.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #335
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Could still use improvement in his own zone, which is why I suspect Ward seems even more leery of playing him than Peters was.
Agree he still has some growing to do. But not all guys can develop in a vacuum. Ward needs to identify guys are still young and will make mistakes. Hell he allows the vets to make so many mistakes with no reprimand and allows them to play through their struggles (ie: Lucic).

I think Treliving can be partly blamed since he goes and acquires "vets/NHL players" just about every year at trade deadline. This stunts the development of younger guys. If a kid is only playing when it's meaningless but bring in the vets for crunch time, how can they ever find that extra level.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #336
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree he still has some growing to do. But not all guys can develop in a vacuum. Ward needs to identify guys are still young and will make mistakes. Hell he allows the vets to make so many mistakes with no reprimand and allows them to play through their struggles (ie: Lucic).

I think Treliving can be partly blamed since he goes and acquires "vets/NHL players" just about every year at trade deadline. This stunts the development of younger guys. If a kid is only playing when it's meaningless but bring in the vets for crunch time, how can they ever find that extra level.
This is pretty common coaching. Vets work through because you know they know how to play and what they did wrong. You don’t know he didn’t reprimand him but do you really need to tell Lucic that he fanned on a pass and it became a giveaway?

Rookies get sat and watch from above, and get extra practice time. Because you don’t know if they know the mistake or not and maybe they need more drills.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #337
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Beautiful hit. Nice and clean. Keep that around for the whiners who say all of Tkachuk's hits are dirty. That is how you get even for a post-game puck flip. Score a big goal, get an assist, and wreck their captain with a highlight big hit.
Damn that's such a sexy hit on a star player. You don't see those much these days.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #338
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This is pretty common coaching. Vets work through because you know they know how to play and what they did wrong. You don’t know he didn’t reprimand him but do you really need to tell Lucic that he fanned on a pass and it became a giveaway?

Rookies get sat and watch from above, and get extra practice time. Because you don’t know if they know the mistake or not and maybe they need more drills.
You can say the same about young players, they may also know what they did wrong. If a Kylington or Valimaki fanned on a pass and it became a giveaway, you don't' think they would know or is this something only Vets would know?

I'm not saying give young guys free reign to screw up all the time, I'm just saying I don't agree with favoritism shown to vets because of games played in the NHL and they get away with murder.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #339
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can say the same about young players, they may also know what they did wrong. If a Kylington or Valimaki fanned on a pass and it became a giveaway, you don't' think they would know or is this something only Vets would know?

I'm not saying give young guys free reign to screw up all the time, I'm just saying I don't agree with favoritism shown to vets because of games played in the NHL and they get away with murder.
Fine, but you blamed it on Ward like it’s particular to him, when it’s something that every coach does. And there is a rational basis for it.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:47 PM   #340
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

And yet, Rasmus Andersson—who was drafted the same year as Kylington—has secured his spot in the top-four, and Valimaki—drafted two years after Kylington—has played every game of the season. So, the problem is clearly not that management and coaches are reluctant to give young players their opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote