Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NBC Sports Net shutting down

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/nbc...sa-1234890506/

It says they are moving some of the bigger sports properties to USA. But I wonder if that pulls them out of the running for renewing regular season games.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me there a lot of regular season games on NBCSN. Certainly going to be less on USA you’d think, given other programming.

I recall tuning into NBCSN for other sports programming too (not Nascar) so this isn’t positive news for viewers.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Paves the way for ESPN to get back into hockey which there have been rumblings about for a while now.

Likely really hurts what the rights go for however as im not sure who else would be in a position to bid beyond FOX sports.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Paves the way for ESPN to get back into hockey which there have been rumblings about for a while now.

Likely really hurts what the rights go for however as im not sure who else would be in a position to bid beyond FOX sports.
Makes sense. Currently in the states NBCSN has lost a lot of the exclusives anyway. There’s a handful of games on ESPN+ every day and most of the soccer got moved to Peacock. Except for Wednesday night games NBCSN is already toast. I can’t speak to golf and NASCAR because I don’t care about those.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

NBC logic, USA network is in many more US homes than NBCSN.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
NBC logic, USA network is in many more US homes than NBCSN.
Yeah I read a story saying this works out better for the NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #7
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I'm mixed on this. You guys are right that USA is in more homes. And there is some precedent for sports on USA as they do overflow Olympics and playoffs coverage there. The downside to me though would be losing a channel that is dedicated to sports programming.

I'm not sure they had built much of a dedicated audience though. The win ESPN had 30 years ago was convincing people to just leave ESPN on all day long. To rewatch the same sportcenter 8 times in the background. I know for me, NBCSN was just watched during games and maybe a little bit of postgame. It was not a channel I regularly watched. Even among my hockey fan friends I don't know anyone that really casually watched it. So in a way that minimizes the loss of the dedicated channel and I guess gives them a chance at rebirth and growing the audience.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I'm mixed on this. You guys are right that USA is in more homes. And there is some precedent for sports on USA as they do overflow Olympics and playoffs coverage there. The downside to me though would be losing a channel that is dedicated to sports programming.

I'm not sure they had built much of a dedicated audience though. The win ESPN had 30 years ago was convincing people to just leave ESPN on all day long. To rewatch the same sportcenter 8 times in the background. I know for me, NBCSN was just watched during games and maybe a little bit of postgame. It was not a channel I regularly watched. Even among my hockey fan friends I don't know anyone that really casually watched it. So in a way that minimizes the loss of the dedicated channel and I guess gives them a chance at rebirth and growing the audience.
I doubt there is ever going to be a big following for American nationally televised regular season NHL games. I think they average a few hundred thousand viewers, and that really isn't worth a whole lot of money. I can see USA/NBC paying for one game of the week combined with a portion of the playoffs, and ESPN maybe doing something similar. That combined may lead to a bump in what they are getting now, but more like a 50%-75% bump.

Most American NHL fans just watch their local team. If Peacock or ESPN could somehow get into in-market local streaming, then that's probably where some decent money is. The trick is doing that without cannibalizing or breaching the lucrative RSN deals. It may all fall into place if the majority of American's RSNs go bankrupt this year though.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote