Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Priest claims that sex abuse victims initiate it

This could've gone in to the athiest or weird news threads, but I think this needs its own. It seems that a respected priest really didn't think before speaking:

Quote:

Father Benedict Groeschel, 79, told the National Catholic Register boys without father figures are often the ones who initiate sexual relationships with abusers. "Suppose you have a man having a nervous breakdown, and a youngster comes after him. A lot of the cases, the youngster -- 14, 16, 18 -- is the seducer," said Groeschel, the host of a weekly show called Sunday Night Prime.

the whole article is here: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/20.../20156896.html

...and it seems that the National Catholic Review has pulled the article from their website:

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news...scan-friars-of

cue the storm in 3...2...1...

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Judge: "You have been accused of sexually molesting young Timmy. What do you have to say in your defense father?"

Priest: "Did you see him shaking that ass? He was asking for it!"
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can accept that every priest isn't an abuser, but I can't accept the church's continued attempts at shifting blame. If this individual doesn't speak officially for the church then release a statement chastising him.

Sad really.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isnt this classic rape deflection?

"The victim wanted/deserved it based on the way they dress, etc."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

If altar boys don't want to be raped, then they shouldn't dress like sluts.

Look at that guy. He's just begging for it in that outfit, amirite?
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is this priest trying to justify all the kids he molested...er....all the kids that forced sex on him?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is exactly why the Catholic Church is slowly losing it's influence all over the world. Can't wait for the day when for the first time in 2000 years they become insignificant. Deflecting the blame and refusing to take responsibility. Good riddance.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have read other stories where non-church related pedos use this excuse. It's part of the pedo mentality unfortunately to think that the kids are doing something to arouse them.

I think the Catholic church made a lot of bad decisions regarding cover ups and not cooperating with authorities, but this sort of statement isn't really part of that.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a former Catholic, the Church is one of the worlds most corrupt and evil organizations. Condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS? Nah, can't do that. Priests molesting boys? It's the boys fault. Disgraceful organization.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this 14 year old girl seduced me the other day. It's her fault, because I don't understand the difference between right and wrong or legal / not legal. I was having a bad day though. Great argument.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Not defending the guy... what he said was reprehensible.
But here's an apology from the Franciscan Friars and the National Catholic Register...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Quote:
Editor’s Note:
Child sexual abuse is never excusable. The editors of the National Catholic Register apologize for publishing without clarification or challenge Father Benedict Groeschel's comments that seem to suggest that the child is somehow responsible for abuse. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our publication of that comment was an editorial mistake, for which we sincerely apologize. Given Father Benedict's stellar history over many years, we released his interview without our usual screening and oversight. We have removed the story. We have sought clarification from Father Benedict.
Jeanette R. De Melo
Editor in Chief
Quote:
The Community of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal sincerely apologizes for the comments made by Fr. Benedict Groeschel in an interview released August 27 by the National Catholic Register. In that interview, Fr. Benedict made comments that were inappropriate and untrue. A child is never responsible for abuse. Any abuser of a child is always responsible, especially a priest. Sexual abuse of a minor is a terrible crime and should always be treated as such. We are sorry for any pain his comments may have caused.

About seven years ago Fr. Benedict was struck by a car and was in a coma for over a month. In recent months his health, memory and cognitive ability have been failing. He has been in and out of the hospital. Due to his declining health and inability to care for himself, Fr. Benedict had moved to a location where he could rest and be relieved of his responsibilities. Although these factors do not excuse his comments, they help us understand how such a compassionate man could have said something so wrong, so insensitive, and so out of character.

Last edited by Rerun; 08-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ We the editors got paid. We apologize.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Q: What's the number 1 cause of pedophelia?

A: Sexy children
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Rerun

Exp:

The statement was made by a 79 year old priest who at the age of 72 was struck by a car and ended up with head injuries so severe that he was in a coma for a month. In recent months his physical heath and mental capabilities have been failing so badly that he has been in and out of hospital and the Church has relieved him of his pastoral responsiblities.

End of story. The guy clearly didn't realize what he was saying due to his diminished cognitive ability..

But carry on all you Catholic church bashers... don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I got hit by a car I can assure you I wouldn't be saying those things.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post

End of story. The guy clearly didn't realize what he was saying due to his diminished cognitive ability..
Perhaps. Then what's the excuse for the decades/centuries of sexual abuse?

Did everyone who raped kids and made excuses also get hit by a car?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Perhaps. Then what's the excuse for the decades/centuries of sexual abuse?
Their is no excuse for past wrongs and coverups... just commenting on this story at this time.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
If I got hit by a car I can assure you I wouldn't be saying those things.
It must be good to know that, if after you turn 72 and get hit by a car so hard that it puts you in the hospital where you are in a coma for a month, you would never say anything that reflects poorly on you, 7 years later with failing mental facilties.

Any stock tips?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
The statement was made by a 79 year old priest who at the age of 72 was struck by a car and ended up with head injuries so severe that he was in a coma for a month. In recent months his physical heath and mental capabilities have been failing so badly that he has been in and out of hospital and the Church has relieved him of his pastoral responsiblities.

But carry on all you Catholic church bashers... don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
Facts aren't exactly things catholics are good at themselves. Or religious people in general, but I'll leave that alone.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It must be good to know that, if after you turn 72 and get hit by a car so hard that it puts you in the hospital where you are in a coma for a month, you would never say anything that reflects poorly on you, 7 years later with failing mental facilties.

Any stock tips?
Yes, my subconscious will reveal itself. It won't be pretty at all to be sure. But I won't be talking about what he's talking about. Plus, I don't buy it. He made a pretty well-formulated argument.

Last edited by calumniate; 08-30-2012 at 08:36 PM.