Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Miscellaneous > Help/Suggestions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:
Default Thread Stars

Hey i've noticed the Thread Rating system seems to be taking a bit of a turn from "Rate the quality of discussion" to "Rate whether you agree or disagree with the OP' kind of thing.

There are threads out there that are getting 2 stars or one star that really dont make sense, such as the Phoenix Calgary PGT. Like, it's a PGT... how does discussing the game get 2 stars?

Personally, I think the stars more hurt discussion than encourage it. The rating system seems primarily negative (not by any fault of CP or really the contributors, because there appears to be some confusion on the right way to rate threads), but I think it makes people judge threads by the name and the stars, rather than the discussion inside. And let's face it, many of our threads have pretty vague or not-well thought out titles in the first place, when the topic is actually pretty good.

Anyway, it seems that there are way, waaaaaaaay more low starred threads than high starred threads, yet we know debate and conversation on CP is very very good compared to most boards. Not only that, but there are threads that are 5+, 10+ etc pages long that have low ratings... so how can this be? Is there any way to look at the stats and see what the ratios are for high to low starred threads? etc?

Keep up the good work, guys!
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't we supposed to use the stars then leave the thread instead of you know like name calling and stuff?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think it's mostly because people want to act out on something negative, but something positive makes them happy so they just either read or contribute without worrying about thread ratings.

It's just one of those things, other than getting rid of it (not even sure if there's a way to turn it off), not much you can do to change it.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Aren't we supposed to use the stars then leave the thread instead of you know like name calling and stuff?
I thought the rating system was supposed to be about the quality of the topic, not whether you agree with it or not...

Example Thread:

Should we make a move for a top 6 forward?

This might be a 5 start conversation/debate, but people who think "no, we have enough scoring" would rate it 1 star because they disagree.

Moreover, I really don't understand things like PGT's getting rated... like really, we are discussing a game, like we always do, and it gets two stars?? How? The topic is perfectly valid, in fact, it's the bread and butter of this forum. Is it because the Flames lost, so people think rating it two stars expresses their feelings about the game??

I don't know. I personally don't think it fosters constructive discussion, which I thought was the point in the first place. Sure, in some cases it creates accountability (in the case of Trade Dion, Iggy, etc threads) but most of the time IMO it is used incorrectly.

Last edited by alltherage; 12-06-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Maybe, though I've seen some game and post game threads that should be rated 1 star.. every Flames loss seems to bring out some end-of-the-worlders to one degree or another, if those kinds of posts dominate a thread I'd rate it 1 star.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
I thought the rating system was supposed to be about the quality of the topic, not whether you agree with it or not...

Example Thread:

Should we make a move for a top 6 center?

This might be a 5 start conversation/debate, but people who think "no, we have enough scoring" would rate it 1 star because they disagree.

We don't need a top 6 centre right now, so to make such a thread would be assinine. Now make it about having a top 3 Left Winger than you have a five star thread
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I keep things pretty simple.

Five stars = Clicky clicky.
Three or four stars = If I have time, and the title seems interesting.
Two stars = Does the title seem like something I can at least laugh at?
One star = Keep scrolling.

I don't pay much attention to why people hand out stars. I tend to find that the reasons all work out in the end.

Edit: Oh, and Yeah_Baby... that quote from tranny in your sig is absolute gold. Must thank it...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
We don't need a top 6 centre right now, so to make such a thread would be assinine. Now make it about having a top 3 Left Winger than you have a five star thread
Haha sorry I meant top 6 forward. I think center is engrained in my head because for the last billion years we never had one.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually find I go into 1 or 2 star threads just to see what the fuss is about. Usually good for a laugh.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Wait, isn't 1 star the highest? As in, 1st star, 2nd star, 3rd star of a hockey game...? Because I've been going into every thread and voting it 1 star to try and be nice.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Seems like you are just disagreeing with people's ratings - which doesn't mean the system is wrong - just that you have a different opinion of those threads.

Either way - doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Seems like you are just disagreeing with people's ratings - which doesn't mean the system is wrong - just that you have a different opinion of those threads.

Either way - doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Agreed.

I vote this thread 1 star for 1st place.

Tags
hahastupidcanucks , hahastupidoilers , ratings , stars