Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #141
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
anyone else fore-see us having troubles signing Moss? He would be wise to test the open market.
Depends - if he knows where his bread is buttered, he might sign for less to stay here. The system we play makes him a successful player.

Plus we know Nystrom and Moss are joined at the hip and Eric N is signed for one more year.

But, if you are one of our divisional opponents, you might throw a high priced offer sheet out there to either pry him away from the Flames or make the Flames have to overpay to keep him.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #142
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
anyone else fore-see us having troubles signing Moss? He would be wise to test the open market.
I dont think it will be difficult for us to sign him, but with that being said I think besides Pardy, Moss is the most improved Flame over the course of this season.
His board play is getting better, and you can see that he is using his body better as time goes on. Now all he needs to do is practise those tap-ins from hard passes into the crease area.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #143
flamersfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Did anyone else hear the announcers for this last game say that Dallas has only scored 5 3rd period goals all season? That's crazy! The Flames have scored 80 something 3rd period goals. Sorry if this has already been discussed.
flamersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #144
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamersfan View Post
Did anyone else hear the announcers for this last game say that Dallas has only scored 5 3rd period goals all season? That's crazy! The Flames have scored 80 something 3rd period goals. Sorry if this has already been discussed.
I think they said Dallas scored 55 goals in the 3rd, to the Flames 83 actually.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #145
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was a nice win, played well defensively, but man they were just handed some great PP opportunities against a team that doesn't have a very good PK. That game shouldn't have been as close as it was.

And PUT MOSS ON THE PP!
atb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #146
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
It was a nice win, played well defensively, but man they were just handed some great PP opportunities against a team that doesn't have a very good PK. That game shouldn't have been as close as it was.

And PUT MOSS ON THE PP!
Yeah, I think they tried 4 different variants of the PP and none of them looked that great. I think it should be Iggy, Jokinen, Moss, Leopold, Dion/Cammalleri IMO.

The PP picked up during the road trip when Moss had his hattrick against Ottawa.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #147
flamersfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
I think they said Dallas scored 55 goals in the 3rd, to the Flames 83 actually.
Ahhh... that makes much more sense! Stupid ears!
flamersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #148
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
I dont think it will be difficult for us to sign him, but with that being said I think besides Pardy, Moss is the most improved Flame over the course of this season.
His board play is getting better, and you can see that he is using his body better as time goes on. Now all he needs to do is practise those tap-ins from hard passes into the crease area.
did you see that text book pass from Pronger to Selanne in the slot last night. That just looked to easy! If we can just get Phaneuf & Aucoin looking for that play more.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #149
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
we hold the tiebreaker unless vancouver beats us in our remaining head to head matchup. so it's 5.5 points
What is this baseball now?

Theoretically the Flames could get a bunch of loser points and the Canucks can get more wins than the Flames. Wins is the first tiebreaker and Flames currently lead 41-37.

Let's make up a stupid scenario... Flames have 12 games left and they lose all of them in OT

Their record would be 41-23-18 giving them 100 points.

If the Canucks go 8-5-1 in the last 13 games

Their record would be 45-28-10 also 100 points..

Canucks would win by first tiebreaker, having more wins.

Last edited by GirlySports; 03-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #150
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQorMILDEW View Post
Dion had some great moments tonight, hopefully he is going to be peaking at the right time..
He also caused a 2 on 1 against yet again with a poor pinch.

He won't be peaking til he stops that trend.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #151
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Somehow I get the feeling he loves being here and has a lot of friends on the team. I think he may be another one of the players that decides to stay here and his agent and Sutter get it done.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #152
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Somehow I get the feeling he loves being here and has a lot of friends on the team. I think he may be another one of the players that decides to stay here and his agent and Sutter get it done.
Yeah, he's BFFs with Nystrom, according to that awesome epic post about that Flames breakfast (or was it lunch?). Makes sense since they've been playing hockey together for like 8 years.

I still get the feeling that he'll be one of the players to leave for slightly greener (literally) pastures next season. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #153
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Yeah, he's BFFs with Nystrom, according to that awesome epic post about that Flames breakfast (or was it lunch?). Makes sense since they've been playing hockey together for like 8 years.

I still get the feeling that he'll be one of the players to leave for slightly greener (literally) pastures next season. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Well he'll be UFA after his next deal expires too right? Its not his only chance to go for the money in his career most likely.

I think fans sometime overestimate the motivation of a little more money. Would you basically desert your team, your friends and the place you live for a 10% pay raise? Some people would. It becomes less likely if your team is a contender. Its less likely if you've got a lot of good friends on the team. Its less likely if you don't like moving around and like to "settle" in a city. Personality type plays a big role, some people thrive on change, some people prefer the familiar. The likelihood may go down quite a bit based on your wife's personality, how settled her and their kids are. These are all factors that are not usually taken into account enough by fans IMO. I don't have any stats on it but single players may be far more likely to move around as UFA's than married players.

Its true that some people place money at the top of their values. However some fans characterize ALL players like that and that just can't be true. I think part of the reason why Calgary fans in particular might do it is that we had a history of losing UFA's (so people think its a consistent trend) and Alberta and Calgary in particular hold money to be one of the highest values. However not everybody in Calgary or Alberta holds money/salary to be the highest value, not everybody on the Flames comes from this part of the world and we have a recent history of re-signing our UFA's.

Another factor in whether fans believe player X will re-sign or not is expectation management. If you aren't expecting a guy to re-sign you'll be pleasantly surprised if he does. If you are expecting it then if he doesn't you'll face massive disappointment and if he does you aren't really pleasantly surprised. So part of why some of us are pessimistic is managing our expectations so we aren't let down in the off season.

All that said I look at our UFA crop and think we have good chance of re-signing Moss and Leopold and a very slim chance of re-signing Cammalleri. That's based on a lot of factors that might be better saved for a thread that is solely on that topic.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 03-19-2009 at 11:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #154
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
Yeah, I think they tried 4 different variants of the PP and none of them looked that great. I think it should be Iggy, Jokinen, Moss, Leopold, Dion/Cammalleri IMO.

The PP picked up during the road trip when Moss had his hattrick against Ottawa.
On the road trip, Jokinen on the pp with Lundmark and Glencross/Boyd was working. I think they should keep Jokinen on the second pp unit as he can create offense on his own. On the first pp, stick with Cammalleri-Moss-Iginla. I suppose Jokinen could go up on the point at times on the first pp, but I don't really think loading up the first pp with all of the big guns and then having all of our third liners play the second makes sense.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #155
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think from an organizational stand point, there isn't room in the lineup for all of our free agent forwards, despite cap concerns. If guys like Backlund and Lundmark are gonna be given a chance to make the team out of camp next year, and if Boyd is going to be given a chance to move up, then someone up top needs to be cleared out to make room. So do you keep Cammalleri, Bertuzzi, or Moss? Probably two out of the three, I would think. Not signing Cammalleri might open up first line LW for Bourque, with Moss moving up to line 2 and Boyd up to line 3. I realize that Backlund will only make the team if he lands a top six role, so maybe he is given one more year to develop and then takes Bertuzzi's spot?
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #156
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Backlund wouldn't be hurt by a year in the minors I'm sure or even a half year.

While certainly he'll be given the opportunity to win a spot in camp I'd be surprised if Sutter
1) Planned for Backlund making the team
2) Let his offseason decisions be based around Backlund making the team.

For all we know someone up front will go down in camp and Backlund can have that spot. One thing we tend to do as fans when imaging the lineup next year is to always imagine it 100% healthy. Backlund looks like a great guy to throw in there when we have a top 6 forward go down to injury or if he legimately forces his way onto the team by being too good to leave off of it.

Personally I think a likely scenario could be that he starts the year in the minors, gets a chance due to injury somewhere between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark and then sticks. Trying to make room for Backlund by not signing other players could lead to depth problems next year.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #157
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now 8-0 in my last 8 games. I'm not going on Friday but I'll be there against the Wings.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #158
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
Actually with this team that comment couldn't be farther from the truth. That was a good looking win. That win over Detroit is us winning ugly.
Yeah, I should have said "not the most entertaining win"
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stars