Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 06-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #21
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
They need to up the anti for jury duty, $50.00 a day is far too small.

This.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #22
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Aren't you a police 911 dispatcher? I would think you'd be excluded from jury duty as an employee of the police service, although I admittedly don't know if that's the case or if you're considered an employee of the greater City of Calgary.
I am, and no one I've asked has been able to give me a straight answer. I am not a police officer nor hired by/employed by police, so I don't fall under their exemption. I work with them, but am employed by the City of Calgary. I'm not even in a City Union. I don't fit into any of the other exemption categories. So...I don't know. I suppose it'd come down to the lawyers/judge.

I have always wanted to be on a Jury, though. And the Summons I got was 15 years ago now, so before I started working for 911.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 06-20-2022 at 01:36 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #23
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sad we round up a group of people by force to serve for jury duty on a weekend while eating lunch. Given a choice come with us or we will handcuff you and you will come with us.

I get that this is a law but who voted for it?

Put that on the next election platform for a politcal party. I bet none support it.

Yet some did in the past obviously.

Legal or not this should of never happened.

I wonder how the cases went after the government kidnapped the jury?

Would a normal person doubt that the accused might not have been given fair process? I would. Considering I was just kidnapped.

That judge should be fired.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #24
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Sad we round up a group of people by force to serve for jury duty on a weekend while eating lunch. Given a choice come with us or we will handcuff you and you will come with us.

Put that on the next election platform for a politcal party. I bet none support it.

Would a normal person doubt that the accused might not have been given fair process? I would. Considering I was just kidnapped.

Its not much different from normal jury duty except you get a letter in the mail for normal jury duty.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #25
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to go to the court house twice for jury duty. The first time - we sat there for an hour and then when we got in the court room, they said the case was settled via settlement and we could all leave.

The second one I was there for a while, we had to come up to the front while they do what they do, then were sent to some jury room. I didn't get picked so I went home. I think I was there for like 5 hours.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #26
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I am not sure you get what you claim to get.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #27
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

They didn't force people to serve on a jury, they made them appear for jury selection. And it happened on Thursday, not on the weekend; court doesn't even sit on the weekends.

This particular proviso of the Criminal Code has been in there forever. It has existed in English common law for centuries. It's rarely used, and wouldn't have to have been used if more people showed up for selection in the first place.

You know what's not a fair trial? A jury trial with only half the number of requisite jurors. It's precisely why "ordering a tales" exists in the first place.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #28
RobotTalk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Just inform the Sheriff and/or judge that you know about jury nullification and that you intend to exercise that power if selected. You'll be dismissed with, at most, a stern talking to.

https://www.thecourt.ca/r-v-krieger-...tive-mens-rea/
RobotTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotTalk View Post
Just inform the Sheriff and/or judge that you know about jury nullification and that you intend to exercise that power if selected. You'll be dismissed with, at most, a stern talking to.

Did... did you even read your own link? What the hell are you even talking about? "Exercise that power"... good grief, this is how Freemen on the Land happen.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 02:41 PM   #30
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Would have been interesting. So summoned to go to the court house and then what? Have to call back to the office for the afternoon off? A boss like Locke wouldn't believe you

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 02:48 PM   #31
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotTalk View Post

You can tell the sheriffs whatever the hell you want but I'd wager if you prattle on about jury nullification they'll make sure you're served a summons and show up for selection, just so you have to sit there in the court room and stew for the afternoon.

If you make it as far as getting called in front of the judge and you ask to be excused you're probably going to be asked to articulate why you would find a hypothetically guilty man innocent in that particular case. Good luck if the case is something grievous like a sexual assault; even if you are excused the sheriffs are going to give the police a ring and let 'em know your views.

The officers of the court have very little patience for dip####s trying to weasel out of jury duty.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #32
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always assumed if you didnt want to go to jury duty they effectively didn't want you there and would excuse

I have gotten the mail letter and replied asking to be excused. Literally wrote " I will be working and can't miss work" and both times it was granted.

Couldn't you write " I am a crazy racist who believes to earth if flat and everyone is a criminal" if you want out?

Doesn't the court want people in the Jury who will pay attention and do their best, not someone annoyed to be there.

Is this an actual problem the court faces that people get all the way down to selection and in front of the judge and then try to get out/cause issues?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #33
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Couldn't you write " I am a crazy racist who believes to earth if flat and everyone is a criminal" if you want out?
Hmmm... let me think...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:42 PM   #34
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Openly lying during jury selection is contempt of court.

However, when you get a summons there is a box and you can write any reason you don't think or can't appear on the Jury

I always assumed anyone who wrote anything in there was instantly dismissed as the court wouldn't want a person who doesn't want to be there appearing.

And how could the court prove I am not a racist believer in flat earth and that everyone is a criminal, especially if I claim it on a form. It would be automatic appeal for the defense if I was on the Jury.

So does anyone who actually works for in the system have an actual first hand experience with the dismissal pre-trail of juror candidates who ask to be dismissed on the form and how many get granted, etc?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #35
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I always assumed if you didnt want to go to jury duty they effectively didn't want you there and would excuse

I have gotten the mail letter and replied asking to be excused. Literally wrote " I will be working and can't miss work" and both times it was granted.

Doesn't the court want people in the Jury who will pay attention and do their best, not someone annoyed to be there.
Almost all of people who get a summons don't want to be there. They don't care about whether you want to do it, they only care whether you can.

Writing some stupid gibberish on the summons form is not going to get you out of it. If anything it's all the more incentive to make you show up for selection. Like I wrote earlier, they have very little patience for dip####s trying to weasel out of jury duty.

The summons is a court order. If you have a legitimate excuse, even if it's for conscientiousness reasons, then you bring that forward and write it down. They don't look kindly on people trying to be funny. Willfully disobeying a court order is grounds for a contempt of court charge.

Quote:
Is this an actual problem the court faces that people get all the way down to selection and in front of the judge and then try to get out/cause issues?
In my experience, as someone who was averaging a summons per year for a bit, it happens. The first jury selection I was called to almost everyone who went before the judge asked to be excused. Most were granted the excuse and dismissed, generally for the reasons of financial hardship, prearranged plans to be out-of-town, or because they were caring for a dependent and couldn't find someone to take their place for the expected duration of the trial. However, a few were not excused. One I remember pretty clearly, a tatted-up woman who showed up in ratty-looking shorts and a t-shirt; I don't know what her excuse was but the judge was not having it, and counsels had run out of their peremptory challenges so she ended up on the jury.

Last edited by timun; 06-20-2022 at 04:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think having Cowboys on horseback lassoing office workers in a foodcourt and wrangling them to Jury selection would be a way more fun method.

I mean...you could televise that. I'd pay to watch that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:44 PM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I still think having Cowboys on horseback lassoing office workers in a foodcourt and wrangling them to Jury selection would be a way more fun method.

I mean...you could televise that. I'd pay to watch that.
Don't lie, you'd still pirate it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Don't lie, you'd still pirate it.
Oooh....Pirates vs. Cowboys...get some Space Aliens and unwilling Jurors in there and you've got next Summer's Blockbuster hit!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #39
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oooh....Pirates vs. Cowboys...get some Space Aliens and unwilling Jurors in there and you've got next Summer's Blockbuster hit!
I don't remember Cowboys vs. Aliens doing very well but either way your idea sounds even worse.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't remember Cowboys vs. Aliens doing very well but either way your idea sounds even worse.
Philistine. No appreciation for Fine Art.