Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #441
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

New information on the Campbell notes

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...sure-1.6498991

Quote:
Four crucial pages of a senior Mountie's notes were missing the first time the federal Department of Justice sent them to the public inquiry looking into the Nova Scotia mass shooting.
The key section included allegations the head of the RCMP promised politicians the force would release information about guns used during the April 2020 rampage.
The Mass Casualty Commission said the federal government sent 132 pages of Supt. Darren Campbell's handwritten notes in mid-February 2022, but that the file had no references to a meeting with Commissioner Brenda Lucki on April 28, 2020.
Three weeks ago, the inquiry received a second file of Campbell's notes for the same time period. The package included the pages Campbell wrote about a conference call he and other senior officers in Nova Scotia had with Lucki.

Quote:
CBC News learned of the discrepancy because the joint federal and provincial inquiry initially posted 132 pages of Campbell's notes on its website last week and that file had no mention of the Lucki meeting.
But the commission quoted Campbell's comments about Lucki in a document released Tuesday summarizing how the RCMP communicated with the public in the months after the shootings. A 136-page file containing Campbell's additional notes — including that April meeting — was shared with journalists under an embargo in advance. They have since been posted on the commission's website.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #442
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Because I think Canadians have shown that there is little to no interest in changing the status quo. Sure, there are groups promoting that change, but there are also groups who want the dissolve the government and go live in the woods without any oversight.

Also, what is embarrassing is all the Liberal Party & Trudeau lovers who can't admit that the Trudeau government won't use every single possible incident that happens in the US, whether a Supreme Court decision or a mass shooting event to try and force through their dumb agenda.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Fun times politically in our country. Everything is going to #### and the PCs who haven't been in power for 10 years are at fault. Surprised Harper isn't getting cited here.
The conversation has literally nothing to do with the Liberals, we're talking about the similarities between "We won't overturn Roe vs. Wade" and then doing it against the Conservatives "We won't re-open the debate" and then 70% of them voting to re-open the debate and what that actually means if they get power. These aren't some random "groups" like the ones that want to live in the woods, these are 81/111 MPs. So what are you even talking about?

The people deflecting are the people trying to turn the conversation back on the Liberals because they are uncomfortable with where it's going and are afraid to admit the reality of the situation.

It's desperate and sad. And yes, I get it. "You want to know what's desperate and sad? When the Liberals..." etc. etc. Great contribution.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #443
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

But what about Trudope's socks? And his hair? He's just not ready!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #444
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because I think Canadians have shown that there is little to no interest in changing the status quo. Sure, there are groups promoting that change, but there are also groups who want the dissolve the government and go live in the woods without any oversight.
I don't think all that many Americans had much interest in changing the status quo either, but here we are. The latest polls in the US showed about ~30% support for overturning Roe v. Wade and 61% of respondents think that abortion should be legal all or most cases.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #445
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
How do we get to the point where every single political party is this bad?
We make running for office so unappealing that no one wants to run. A few months ago, people were protesting outside Jyoti Gondek's house and a lot of people were okay with that.

Who would want to run for office under those circumstances? Anyone who runs for office "for the good of the community" sees how the community treats them (and their families) and quickly starts to re-think that decision.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 05:49 PM   #446
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
If they don't "have this kind of attitude" why do you consider them to be "conservative"? Do they vote for the Conservative Party? If they do... why would they expect anything different?
It's the difference between being politically conservative and socially conservative. Liberals are doing the same thing with climate change. If you think that getting rid of straws is stupid posturing, you don't get to be in the liberal party. It didn't used to be like this.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:54 PM   #447
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

'You've had allies all along': Conservative MPs meet with convoy figures in Ottawa

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/you-...tawa-1.5958516

Which Conservative MPs attended anti-vaccine presentation from convoy figures?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/whic...ures-1.5959764
Quote:
Four months after the last truck left downtown Ottawa, top Freedom Convoy figures returned to Parliament Hill and met with nearly 20 per cent of the Conservative Party of Canada caucus, according to video reviewed by CTV News.
On Wednesday, 23 Conservative members attended meetings with convoy spokesperson Tom Marazzo, convoy director of security Daniel Bulford, advisor to former U.S. president Donald Trump Paul Alexander, and Canadian soldier James Topp, who is currently on a march across Canada protesting vaccine mandates.
Quote:
LIST OF CONSERVATIVE MPs WHO ATTENDED THE MEETING
Marilyn Gladu
Arnold Viersen
Dean Allison
James Bezan
Melissa Lantsman
Dan Muys
Ted Falk
Leslyn Lewis
Alex Ruff
Jeremy Patzer
Jamie Schmale
Martin Shields
John Barlow
Ryan Williams
Warren Steinley
Damien Kurek
Gerald Soroka
Scott Davidson
Chris Warkentin
Corey Tochor
Tako van Popta
Cheryl Gallant
Kerry-Lynn Findlay
Interim Conservative Leader Candice Bergen’s office said they were aware of the event, but were not involved in organizing it.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:34 PM   #448
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, I think that all remaining mandates are pretty stupid to continue, but the group pointing this out are really a pretty scummy bunch. I think that Trudeau keeps the mandates for as long as possible, just to let the wacky end of the conservative party hang itself. If they had done nothing and just stably kept mentioning the removable of mandates in parliamentary debate, they would likely already be gone.

I say this having watched how our representatives act in parliament, and that the childish behavior in there accomplishes nothing. I still think that if the issue wasn't in the public eye as much, it would already be resolved.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #449
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
New information on the Campbell notes

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...sure-1.6498991
It will be interesting when the truth comes out… if we ever get to see that. I’m sure a tearful, heartfelt apology will be on its way.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #450
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
It will be interesting when the truth comes out… if we ever get to see that. I’m sure a tearful, heartfelt apology will be on its way.
https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...re-within-days

Well the Prime Minister knew the guns used and the fact that they were unregistered 4 days before the Campbell meeting. For this story to be true (that there was political interference), one has to believe that there was political pressure by the Liberals to get a fact pattern out in the public that was bad for the Liberals and good for the Conservatives. In my experience that would be an odd political play for the Liberals to make. An alternative theory could be the RCMP screwed up almost everything on this case right from the beginning and this was just a convenient distraction from that fact.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 09:57 PM   #451
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Lol at being naive enough to think that the abortion debate and willingness of conservative politicians to re-open it and make progress in restricted isn't coming.

Also hilarious that Envitro was the one that brought up the conservative voter talking point of "Yeah, it's a dead issue, there is zero chance of abortion restriction being brought up in Canada", followed by the appropriate responses and then Azure getting butthurt about it like everyone wasn't responding to his assertion.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 10:06 PM   #452
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also, what is embarrassing is all the Liberal Party & Trudeau lovers who can't admit that the Trudeau government won't use every single possible incident that happens in the US, whether a Supreme Court decision or a mass shooting event to try and force through their dumb agenda.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Fun times politically in our country. Everything is going to #### and the PCs who haven't been in power for 10 years are at fault. Surprised Harper isn't getting cited here.
What's embarrassing is the conservatives are stupid enough to keep going further to the right and ensuring they will keep losing federal elections
Old 06-25-2022, 10:58 PM   #453
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
'You've had allies all along': Conservative MPs meet with convoy figures in Ottawa

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/you-...tawa-1.5958516

Which Conservative MPs attended anti-vaccine presentation from convoy figures?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/whic...ures-1.5959764

Well, if the Conservaties' goal is to ensure that they'll never win another election in this country ever again, they're certainly doing a bang-up job. What a bunch of f'n clowns.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cons...rgen-1.5962407

Quote:
With the nation's capital bracing for anticipated anti-mandate "freedom" movement protests during Canada Day weekend, interim Conservative Leader Candice Bergen says her MPs are free to attend.

"I support peaceful and legal demonstrations, and if my MPs want to be there, they're free to do whatever they want, and they'll answer to their constituents," Bergen said in an interview on CTV's Question Period airing on Sunday.

Events are set to take place in Ottawa around the national holiday, in protest of the remaining COVID-19 restrictions. Participants from this winter's "Freedom Convoy," occupation of Wellington Street and the parliamentary precinct are expected to return. One group, Veterans for Freedom, has indicated they plan to set up camp all summer on the outskirts of the city—to continue protesting the remaining COVID-19 restrictions.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #454
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Well, if the Conservaties' goal is to ensure that they'll never win another election in this country ever again, they're certainly doing a bang-up job. What a bunch of f'n clowns.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cons...rgen-1.5962407
Frankly, I'm fine with it.

Fiscal responsibility in our lifetimes is dead. The Cons werent all that great at it anyways and I'm no fan of Draconian social policies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:53 AM   #455
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yup, its quite a quandry isn't it

On one hand we have a incompetent, secretive, corrupt party vs a socially unhinged, leaderless out of touch party vs a party that I wouldn't trust with a $15.00 a week allowance let alone running this country.

I can't vote for any of them. I could park my vote with Liz May's green party, but that's a whole shyte show that deserves no reward.

I mean can a protest term with the Rhino Party running things be all that much worse then a government formed of any of the main street parties. At least we'd get a laugh out of it and not one of those I'm laughing because I don't know what to do anymore and this whole thing is just a complete and utter joke.

Don't get me started on old Max's journey into insanity.

And the sad thing is that even if all of the current leaders vanished in a puff of smoke. Well that's not fair because Bergen is just there to really drive the Conservatives into the dirt. But there's nothing all that inspiring that can step in for the next round of leaders.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 02:07 AM   #456
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s really like the Brittlestar video. Conservatives don’t really want to be in power. They all make virtually the same salaries as their counterparts with none of the pesky responsibilities that comes with forming government. They just have to play a very delicate balancing act of being electable enough to get in, but not so much that they’d end up in a situation where they’d need to do anything besides warm a seat.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1489616620217589765
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 07:43 AM   #457
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What's embarrassing is the conservatives are stupid enough to keep going further to the right and ensuring they will keep losing federal elections
Its more important to not lose 10% of the vote in 50 rural seats to some goofy far right party that you win by 60% than it is to give yourself a chance to win 30-40 seats from Liberals and NDP in more urban areas.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #458
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On True North's Facebook page, posts about the event received more than a dozen homophobic comments, many accusing drag performers of pedophilia, a long-running trope in anti-LGTBQ rhetoric.

In several instances, groups and social media accounts affiliated with the Freedom Convoy encouraged supporters to protest the Drag Story Hour events.

Stand4Thee, an anti-vax mandate group that supported the blockade in Ottawa, has issued several calls in the past month for members to contact libraries hosting drag events.

In posts on Telegram, a social messaging app, the group says the events "indoctrinate our children" and are "disgusting perverted filth." Their posts were shared on the Convoy to Ottawa 2022 channel, one of the largest groups on the app used by convoy supporters.
Members of Calgary Freedom Central — a Telegram channel with nearly 9,000 subscribers that helped rally support for truck blockades in Ottawa and Coutts, Alta., this winter — used slurs as they tried to mobilize opposition to an event last week at a branch of the Calgary Public Library.

Members suggested a physical confrontation to show performers they were "not welcome" in Calgary. Another user suggested confronting parents who brought their children to the event.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates...501247?cmp=rss

In a surprise to no one, the selfish Freedom gang are also bigoted #######s. Maybe if the brave future leaders of the CPC just hear them out...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #459
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't see any conflict in the coverage of pride parades across the country. The one in Toronto was huge, and seemed pretty smooth. You can find scum and bigots pretty much anywhere if you look, and this looks a lot like CBC cherrypicking vileness for a story. I don't think that this is really a thing unless we focus a spotlight on it.

^^referring to the statement above. Internet people voicing anonymous bad opinions? Oh, no.
Or, a known hate group saying hateful things? Can't see it being a constant source of actual media fodder, when needed.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 06-27-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #460
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I didn't see any conflict in the coverage of pride parades across the country. The one in Toronto was huge, and seemed pretty smooth. You can find scum and bigots pretty much anywhere if you look, and this looks a lot like CBC cherrypicking vileness for a story. I don't think that this is really a thing unless we focus a spotlight on it.
You don't think our potential future leaders meeting with a bunch of bigots to discuss freedoms isn't worth talking about? Focusing a spotlight on this is absolutely what we should be doing. Allowing them to fester their hatred in the shadows is how they get bold enough to do this:

Quote:
Members suggested a physical confrontation to show performers they were "not welcome" in Calgary. Another user suggested confronting parents who brought their children to the event.

We certainly should be calling out our politicians when they choose to associate with these people.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: