Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2022, 08:47 AM   #21
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the no keg views, but can see the appeal if you'll use it enough.
Definitely do the smaller sized kegs if you do so it's lighter & fresher.

I would also suggest good adjustable lighting. Depending on the vibe you're wanting to set, would be nice to be able to dim, gave some feature lights etc

Instead of a mini fridge, get a larger wine & beer fridge. It's more versatile and will hold anything from cans to wine bottles in more capacity.
We are installing one at our house today actually.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

A bar, eh? I don't see the appeal, personally.

A ball pit, on the other hand. I'm still surprised I haven't made one as that's been a goal for a long time.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #23
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much ceiling clearance do you need for a golf sim?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #24
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Know what would be a cool basement? Opium-den style. I hope they come back at some point. I could totally see myself loving dressing up all fancy and just laying on a pile of pillows in a dimly lit lounge atmosphere. That's living right there.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:40 AM   #25
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Know what would be a cool basement? Opium-den style. I hope they come back at some point. I could totally see myself loving dressing up all fancy and just laying on a pile of pillows in a dimly lit lounge atmosphere. That's living right there.
If that's the case, just go full Chicken-on-the-Way and be done with it.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:47 AM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I agree with the no keg views, but can see the appeal if you'll use it enough.
Definitely do the smaller sized kegs if you do so it's lighter & fresher.

I would also suggest good adjustable lighting. Depending on the vibe you're wanting to set, would be nice to be able to dim, gave some feature lights etc

Instead of a mini fridge, get a larger wine & beer fridge. It's more versatile and will hold anything from cans to wine bottles in more capacity.
We are installing one at our house today actually.
There are keg beers, that when properly stored, will stay fresh for up to 6 months after opening. You obviously need the proper setup to keep it cooled and carbonated (CO2 tank and kegerator). A mini keg every few months is pretty manageable. If you have the flow to support that, I'd definitely do it. It adds a lot, the major downsides being that everyone has to drink the same beer repeatedly and you're likely paying for your friends beers.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 09:55 AM   #27
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
How much ceiling clearance do you need for a golf sim?
10 is doable, but 12 is optimal (or more, obviously)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:09 AM   #28
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

A smaller wet bar might be better long term.

I wanted a larger bar but glad we went with a smaller one. The basement has basically become the kids area so when we entertain we rarely go down there with guests.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #29
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like you need a room covered in memory foam to lounge in. Add multiple projectors to the ceiling to be able to display different things simultaneously on two walls, snack hammock, surround sound or ability to watch media via headphones... veg out comfy style.

That's less of a bar idea and basically more of a bougie crash pad though.

I literally brainstormed the idea before. Idea came to me when I was watching Inception and there was the room of dreamers on cots and hammocks.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 10:22 AM   #30
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Sounds like you need a room covered in memory foam to lounge in. Add multiple projectors to the ceiling to be able to display different things simultaneously on two walls, snack hammock, surround sound or ability to watch media via headphones... veg out comfy style.

That's less of a bar idea and basically more of a bougie crash pad though.

I literally brainstormed the idea before. Idea came to me when I was watching Inception and there was the room of dreamers on cots and hammocks.
Memory foam is too absorbant. Who knows what kind of liquids would build up in that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #31
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You raise a good point, we’re almost 4 years in since cannabis was legalized, and we’ve yet to see any kind of renaissance in stoner friendly lounge area design.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #32
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Memory foam is too absorbant. Who knows what kind of liquids would build up in that.
That's what waterproof bamboo mattress covers are for. Keeps the liquids out without sounding like snow pants.

Seriously though, an ultra lounge room with hanging pot chairs for snacks and removable hammock chairs for lounging in seemed like a cool concept.

It probably wouldn't cost more than $1.5K for the mattresses or toppers for the floors of a typical room ($5-6 bucks a square foot for 3" memory foam topper; $150 a queen topper which is approx 30 sq ft).

Hammock chairs are like $100-200 each. Pot chairs/swing chairs are like $50 each.

Modifying hanging planters with a heavy piece of tile or a heavier serving tray (to catch stuff that falls plus with more weight, less likely to knock it over) to be a table for snacks and drinks wouldn't be more than $50 each I assume.

Stuff hanging from ceiling is attached via heavy duty S hooks, so that you can rearrange or remove the hanging items as needed.

You can easily adapt straight bedsheets as cloth "shelves" for snacks or mount cargo nets to the wall for a less pretty option.

Entertainment system is the cost of entertainment system.

And forget a traditional TV stand. If you need a stand for a receiver or whatever other electronics, use box fridges instead.

Honestly, while relatively sober, the set up sounds so much more fun to play video games in rather than watching movies.

and as I finish typing this up... without the memory foam... the hanging concept sounds like a set up that Sliver could set up in his garage and put away as needed to literally go to the next level of garage parties....

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-13-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:18 AM   #33
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Dude I seriously have a bee in my bonnet on this right now. Looking all over at hammock chairs and hammocks. I'm trying to find a collapsible hammock frame that accordions open. There are some on Amazon, but I'm trying to find one for a tall guy.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #34
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Throw in a golf sim!
And a pole for “dancing”.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #35
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I've seen so many sad looking, unused basement bars in my house search the last year. Make sure you're confident you're going to get some heavy use out of it before going ahead, and make sure it's complimentary to the space. Otherwise if you try to sell your place, everyone's gonna want to tear it out and look at as a downside.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #36
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I don't have the space for a golf-sim unfortunately. (Well not the ceiling clearance).

The plan was always the 19L kegs.

My biggest issue is trying to figure out how I really want it set up.

Well, that and my wife wants a room painted before I continue work on the basement.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #37
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
And a pole for “dancing”.
I know *exactly* where that is going to go.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:37 AM   #38
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm at the age where I'd rather have a backyard pub I could escape to. This one's just missing a TV for watching the game.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #39
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular_John View Post
You raise a good point, we’re almost 4 years in since cannabis was legalized, and we’ve yet to see any kind of renaissance in stoner friendly lounge area design.
Seth Rogan and his company Houseplant have you covered.

Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:29 PM   #40
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude I seriously have a bee in my bonnet on this right now. Looking all over at hammock chairs and hammocks. I'm trying to find a collapsible hammock frame that accordions open. There are some on Amazon, but I'm trying to find one for a tall guy.
I think a solution I've seen for a tall guys is a leg strap. One is the one you sit in, the other one you use to prop up your legs up similar in nature to if you were to prop your legs up on an ottoman.

https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/a...001858503.html

Something conceptually like this maybe?