Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
Mathgod
#1 Goaltender
 
Mathgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Flames Armchair GM - Name Your '22-'23 Flames Roster

Capfriendly has a neat little feature that lets you play armchair GM for any team in the NHL. Here's the link for the Flames: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/create/flames

Go ahead and give it a go. Let's see your '22-'23 Flames roster! Keep in mind, the salary cap is going up by $1M next year to $82.5M.

For my roster to work under the cap, I had to trade away Monahan, Lucic, and Dube, and I couldn't re-sign Zadorov. Even still, it was a tight squeeze, but I was able to keep the core of the team largely intact. Of course, assumptions were made on what players were willing to sign for. If it takes more than what's shown to sign Johnny, Chucky, Mang, or Kylly long term, more sacrifices would have to be made such as, for example, not being able to sign Jarnkrok.

Anyhow, without further ado, here's my roster:



The option is there to move Jarnkrok to center if need be; Lewis would slide into the lineup and Phillips would slide out. There's also just barely enough cap room to send someone down and call up Valimaki if the need were to arise.
__________________
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: hiding from the thread police
Exp:
Default

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Jarnkrok - Toffoli
UFA winger - Ruzicka - Lewis
Phillips - Ritchie

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Mackey - UFA RHD
Stone

Markstrom
Vladar

No way they bring back Gudbranson at 3m, IMO. That's an overpay and he shouldn't be a priority.

I also suspect Gawdin leaves as a UFA.
__________________
Daily Faceoff contributor. Columns at FlamesNation. Arizona Coyotes enthusiast. On video for Icethetics.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

This shows how much work there is to do this off season. You have assembled a roster with no bad contracts and it is still tough to see them under the cap.

Something will have to give beyond just Zadorov IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default

@mathgod

You're right that Monahan and Zadorov won't be on the Flames next season ( although I do think Monahan leaves via a buyout so he wont be off the books).

I am not as optimistic about Gawdin and Phillips being at an NHL caliber as you. Not to say that other players don't step up on ELCs

Gaudreau and Tkachuk seem cheap to me, and Jankrok a little expensive ( if that is what he asks for the Flames better let him walk).

As for Lucic who knows, if he could get traded it would work, but a buy out would only net $666,666 in savings ( hail Satan).

In short, it is going to be very tiiiiggghhhttt and it is not likely we see a similar team get kept together.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
The Cobra
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Hard to estimate or guess where this will go without knowing what shedding Lucic and Monny will cost.

Much easy to do if you simply assume that their contracts can magically disappear without any cost.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #6
dobbles
addition by subtraction
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Exp:
Default

Not to be 'that guy' but your team is absolutely killing it right now. I got to catch that 2nd period against the Oilers the other night and you guys were slaying. Enjoy the ride and think about next year after your long playoff run (and hopefully parade!)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #7
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Hard to estimate or guess where this will go without knowing what shedding Lucic and Monny will cost.

Much easy to do if you simply assume that their contracts can magically disappear without any cost.
Buyout cost

Monahan = two years at a cap hit of $2,375,000 then $2,000,000
Lucic = two years at a cap hit of $4,666,667 then $291,667
Backlund = four years at a cap hit of $1,783,333

imo the Monahan buyout is very reasonable, but Both Lucic and Backlund are better value if they play ( assuming a trade is not possible).
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #8
Mathgod
#1 Goaltender
 
Mathgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Hard to estimate or guess where this will go without knowing what shedding Lucic and Monny will cost.

Much easy to do if you simply assume that their contracts can magically disappear without any cost.
Moved out assets to unload their contracts, and replenished those assets by trading Dube.

Good points made in this thread, though in my heart I do believe that Johnny & Chucky are willing to take a slight home town discount to keep this thing together for a long time and keep contending for cups in the coming years.
__________________
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre
 
IamNotKenKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Buyout cost

Monahan = two years at a cap hit of $2,375,000 then $2,000,000
Lucic = two years at a cap hit of $4,666,667 then $291,667
Backlund = four years at a cap hit of $1,783,333

imo the Monahan buyout is very reasonable, but Both Lucic and Backlund are better value if they play ( assuming a trade is not possible).
I don't think this is correct, according to capfriendly.

They have:
Mony with one year at $2.375 cap hit and one year at $2MM; and
Lucic with one year at $4.666 and one year at $291K.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:03 PM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Buyout cost

Monahan = two years at a cap hit of $2,375,000 then $2,000,000
Lucic = two years at a cap hit of $4,666,667 then $291,667
Backlund = four years at a cap hit of $1,783,333

imo the Monahan buyout is very reasonable, but Both Lucic and Backlund are better value if they play ( assuming a trade is not possible).
In what universe would the Flames be buying out Backlund and for what earthly reason?
__________________
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #11
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Buyout cost

Monahan = two years at a cap hit of $2,375,000 then $2,000,000
Lucic = two years at a cap hit of $4,666,667 then $291,667
Backlund = four years at a cap hit of $1,783,333

imo the Monahan buyout is very reasonable, but Both Lucic and Backlund are better value if they play ( assuming a trade is not possible).
Rather than buy Monahan out, I still think he's got trade value at 2/3rd salary. Someone will take a chance at Monahan at $4M per year IMO. That's a better use of cap space than just outright buying him out.

Lucic, on the other hand, is where we're most likely stuck with for good, unless you can convince another team that needs to hit a cap floor to take him on while Flames retained some salary.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
Jason14h
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Rather than buy Monahan out, I still think he's got trade value at 2/3rd salary. Someone will take a chance at Monahan at $4M per year IMO. That's a better use of cap space than just outright buying him out.

Lucic, on the other hand, is where we're most likely stuck with for good, unless you can convince another team that needs to hit a cap floor to take him on while Flames retained some salary.
Lucic only makes 1 million in salary . For any non cap team he is worth 1million as a player.

Flames may have to throw a mid round pick but honestly I think even just having his leadership and protection for 1$ million is a great deal for a rebuilding team
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #13
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback
 
TheSquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Exp:
Default

Is there a chance that Monahan goes LTIR? I mean, as far as I can tell, it's not even a stretch, he's destroyed.

The fact that you have to shift Monahan AND Lucic's money out to retain both Tkachuk and Gaudreau is.... difficult.

Do they go all in, trade out the picks as capital with bad contracts to keep the team together for 5 years here?

Other thought is that in two years, Linholm and Hanifin are gonna be due.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #14
Mathgod
#1 Goaltender
 
Mathgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Is there a chance that Monahan goes LTIR? I mean, as far as I can tell, it's not even a stretch, he's destroyed.

The fact that you have to shift Monahan AND Lucic's money out to retain both Tkachuk and Gaudreau is.... difficult.

Do they go all in, trade out the picks as capital with bad contracts to keep the team together for 5 years here?

Other thought is that in two years, Linholm and Hanifin are gonna be due.
Backlund, Toffoli, Tanev contracts are off the books by then. Probably won't be able to afford to keep all of them beyond '23-'24.

It all speaks to the importance of drafting well and keeping the pipeline of quality talent flowing into the organization.

Quote:
Do they go all in, trade out the picks as capital with bad contracts to keep the team together for 5 years here?
A very unique opportunity here & now. We've got one of the greatest head coaches in league history and he might not be that far away from retirement. Might as well make the most of the years he's still here.
__________________

Last edited by Mathgod; 03-28-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #15
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Palm Isle
Exp:
Default

Probably looking at about 30% turnover.

Next year's team will be considerable different, not just in the supporting cast, but in key pieces.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:16 PM   #16
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player
 
Lanny_McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Gaudreau ($9M)-Lindholm ($4.85M)-Forsberg ($7.5M)
Mangiapane ($6M)-Thomas ($2.8M)-Coleman ($4.9M)
Jarnkrok($2.75M)-Ruzicka ($1M)-Toffoli ($4.25M)
Pelletier ($.863M)-Dube ($2.3M)-Brown ($3.6M)
Duehr ($.828M)

Hanifin ($4.95M)-Anderson ($4.55M)
Kylington ($4M)-Tanev ($4.5M)
Perunovich ($1.5M)-Gudbranson ($2.75M)
Mackey ($.913M)

Markstrom ($6M)-Vlader ($.75M)

$80.554M cap hit. Still some room for the RFAs to get their longer term deals the following summer. How did we get here?

1) Trade Monahan and Valimaki to Ottawa for Connor Brown. $3.6M cap hit, $4.325M cap savings.
2) Trade Backlund to whoever for futures and draft picks. $5.35M cap savings.
3) Trade Lucic to Seattle for future considerations after his signing bonus is paid. $5.25M cap savings.
4) Sign Gaudreau to an 8 year $72M extension ($12M, $12M, $11M, $10M, $8M, $7M, $6M, $6M). $9M cap hit.
5) Sign Mangiapane to a 6 year $36M extension. $6M cap hit.
6) Sign Kylington to a 4 year, $14M extension. $3.5M cap hit.
7) Sign Jarnkrok to a 4 year $11M extension. $2.75M cap hit.
8) Sign Gudbranson to a 3 year, $8.25M extension. $2.75M cap hit.
9) Trade Tkachuk at the draft, to St. Louis for 2022 1st, Robert Thomas, and Scott Perunovich.
10) Dip into the UFA pool and sign Filip Forsberg to a 7 year $52.5M deal. $7.5M cap hit. (leverage the Swedish mafia)
11) Sign Ruzicka ($1M, one-way) and Perunovich ($1.5M one year, then work on long-term deal).
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:32 PM   #17
Big Erned Nevergivn
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Gaudreau ($9M)-Lindholm ($4.85M)-Forsberg ($7.5M)
Mangiapane ($6M)-Thomas ($2.8M)-Coleman ($4.9M)
Jarnkrok($2.75M)-Ruzicka ($1M)-Toffoli ($4.25M)
Pelletier ($.863M)-Dube ($2.3M)-Brown ($3.6M)
Duehr ($.828M)

Hanifin ($4.95M)-Anderson ($4.55M)
Kylington ($4M)-Tanev ($4.5M)
Perunovich ($1.5M)-Gudbranson ($2.75M)
Mackey ($.913M)

Markstrom ($6M)-Vlader ($.75M)

$80.554M cap hit. Still some room for the RFAs to get their longer term deals the following summer. How did we get here?

1) Trade Monahan and Valimaki to Ottawa for Connor Brown. $3.6M cap hit, $4.325M cap savings.
2) Trade Backlund to whoever for futures and draft picks. $5.35M cap savings.
3) Trade Lucic to Seattle for future considerations after his signing bonus is paid. $5.25M cap savings.
4) Sign Gaudreau to an 8 year $72M extension ($12M, $12M, $11M, $10M, $8M, $7M, $6M, $6M). $9M cap hit.
5) Sign Mangiapane to a 6 year $36M extension. $6M cap hit.
6) Sign Kylington to a 4 year, $14M extension. $3.5M cap hit.
7) Sign Jarnkrok to a 4 year $11M extension. $2.75M cap hit.
8) Sign Gudbranson to a 3 year, $8.25M extension. $2.75M cap hit.
9) Trade Tkachuk at the draft, to St. Louis for 2022 1st, Robert Thomas, and Scott Perunovich.
10) Dip into the UFA pool and sign Filip Forsberg to a 7 year $52.5M deal. $7.5M cap hit. (leverage the Swedish mafia)
11) Sign Ruzicka ($1M, one-way) and Perunovich ($1.5M one year, then work on long-term deal).
That's a lot of rigmarole for an arguably worse (or at least lateral) roster, than just using some futures to dump Monny and Looch and keeping the team we have. I dig the imagination though!
Big Erned Nevergivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:02 PM   #18
gvitaly
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Exp:
Default

For me the players we keep would depend a lot on the playoffs performance. Best case scenario, I would try to bring in most of the team back and free up cap space by moving or buying out Monahan and Lucic(buyout wouldn't work here).

If the first line is largely ineffective(which I doubt) I would be open to the idea of either trading Tkachuk, or letting Gaudreau go if he comes at an $11-12M cap-hit. Then we can attempt to bring in a player like Forsberg/Giroux/Malkin. If we can't sign any of the top tier players and we have the cap space because of losing either Gaudreau/Tkachuk I would attempt to bring in one of Trocheck/Rielly Smith and score by committee.

As for depth trades and signings: Stastney is a player I would look into signing to a 1 year deal. Trading for the last year of Scott Mayfield also sounds like something our team would look into, especially if we can't afford either player on our 3rd pairing.

I would definitely like to have a spot open on D for Valimaki/Mackey, and would like to free up 1-2 spots in the top nine for Ruzicka and Pelletier. Which probably means saying goodbye to one of Mangiapane/Coleman/Jarnkrok/Toffoli and a substantial loss. I could also see a scenario where Mangiapane/Kylington sign offer sheets if they don't get the offers they deserve from the Flames.

Last edited by gvitaly; 03-28-2022 at 06:05 PM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #19
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

If they go with:

Lindholm
Backlund
Ruzicka
Phillips

down the middle, they are a bubble team
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #20
Mathgod
#1 Goaltender
 
Mathgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If they go with:

Lindholm
Backlund
Ruzicka
Phillips

down the middle, they are a bubble team
Hard disagree. You're not taking into account the development of Rosie & Phillips between now and the end of training camp in the fall. They'll be even further along before the start of the 2023 playoffs. Plus there's always the option of moving Jarnkrok to the middle if the need arises.

Prior to acquiring Jarnkrok, the Flames were playing Monahan and Richardson as the 3C and 4C. Were they a bubble team during that 10 game win streak? All due respect to Mony & Richardson, but they are not better than what Rosie & Phillips will likely be in 7 months time.
__________________
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2022 , 2023 , armchair , g.m. , roster

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021