Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #61
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
What I'll never understand is how can anyone carry tactical knives as their EDC?

how can you explain to law enforcement the type of knife you carry isnt meant for use against other humans
You can't...you have to hope you can explain it to a judge. ;D
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 06:25 PM   #62
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mailman left me a prize today, I wanted to try out Steel Will knives so picked up a couple fixed blades as well as a little Japanese friction folder. Honestly was hoping the Steel Will knives would come out of the box sharper then they are, they are sharp but not what I'd expect at this price point. Come with nice kydex sheaths with various options for securing.
The Japanese folder doesn't have a clip but some holes in the end of the frame so probably put it on a keychain or something.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #63
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
You can't...you have to hope you can explain it to a judge. ;D
good point, i guess it's best to keep your mouth shut infront of the cop
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 09:17 PM   #64
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I kinda like the idea of a nice utility knife.

I like this one but I don't see anywhere to get it in Canada: https://exceeddesigns.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 11:10 PM   #65
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
What I'll never understand is how can anyone carry tactical knives as their EDC?

how can you explain to law enforcement the type of knife you carry isnt meant for use against other humans
This is why I tend to carry multi tool knives most regularly as it can be easily argued it’s a tool. I also find way more use and utility in them whereas carrying a dedicated pocket knife there are days I never even take it out.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #66
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I kinda like the idea of a nice utility knife.

I like this one but I don't see anywhere to get it in Canada: https://exceeddesigns.com/
That's exactly what I'm looking for, too, photon. I'll dig around a bit as well. If I find it (or something like it) available in Canada I'll post.

Edit: Their site says they plan to start shipping internationally 'as soon as' January 2022. I emailed them. If they reply I'll ask about getting a few and maybe doing a group buy if people are interested.

Last edited by Sliver; 01-08-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #67
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’d be in for a group buy if it works out!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #68
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

About the only “knife” I would consider as an EDC is a Leatherman, (I have two Waves and a Surge) because they are so damn handy. I find I end up using the tools like the pliers and screwdrivers more than the actual blade though.

I do have a sweet Laguiole 4” folding knife that I brought back from France that makes a great pocket knife, but the Leathermans do everything it does and more. Definitely not as pretty as the Laguiole, but for me knives are more about utility than fashion.

I’ve got a few fixed blade 4” and 5” knives as well (SOG and Buck) but those only leave the house if I’m going hunting or camping.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #69
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

But multitools weigh a lot. I used a SOG ultra XR carbon as an edc because when I needed a knife it was there, and when I didn’t need one I didn’t notice it. But then I lost it because I didn’t notice it wasn’t in my pocket.

I just keep a Swiss army card in my wallet now.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #70
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
But multitools weigh a lot. I used a SOG ultra XR carbon as an edc because when I needed a knife it was there, and when I didn’t need one I didn’t notice it. But then I lost it because I didn’t notice it wasn’t in my pocket.

I just keep a Swiss army card in my wallet now.
I never used to carry leathermans in my pocket back when the office dress code was suit and tie. I would sometimes wear the leatherman leather case + wave on my belt under the suit jacket.

Now with covid and all the dress code being relaxed to jeans, I have no problems carrying a Wave, Skeletool, Charge, or Free K4 all day - especially as I also got rid of my wallet.

Speaking of getting rid of the wallet, I forgot that my actual EDC knife that I always have is the below. I replaced my wallet with a single credit card and a cardsharp that I velcro together and it goes into the watch pocket of my jeans - this leaves the full pocket open for a multitool or anything else. Drivers license was moved to the back of the phone case since I needed to show it all the time with the QR code.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #71
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

That cardsharp type of card was the scariest knife I've ever owned. Hopefully the newer ones are better designed and have better durability.

I just don't think they were originally designed to be opened and closed and sat on all the time and were designed to be used occasionally. I cut myself on one of the OG ones perhaps a decade ish ago? The plastic snap back clip thing failed but I kept using it. The folds ended up cracking when I snagged the side of a cardboard box cutting tape. I was only using it like 3-4 times a month, but I guess it was too much for it.

I quite liked the Swiss army card concept, but that thing is fricken thick.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #72
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Picked up a new folder today, a Spyderco Para2. First Spyderco but I doubt it'll be my last, really liking this one so far.

Here's the Steel Will fixed blades and the little Japanese friction folder I picked up a while ago. Fixed blades are still in their sheaths in their boxes but have used the Japanese folder a bit and enjoy it.

Also grabbed this titanium and carbon fiber folder from ZT. Super light and nice to handle.

Still on the search for a EDC for work ect outside of the CRKT. Benchmade has a couple nice looking folders with 2" or so blades that may fit the bill. Spyderco has some that I like the looks of, but the ones I like lack clips so won't really work for what I need.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:04 PM   #73
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what does a fella do on a day to basis with those knives? Stab sacks of potatoes?
Old 06-17-2022, 07:08 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So what does a fella do on a day to basis with those knives? Stab sacks of potatoes?
Juggle?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #75
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mostly collect but need a good knife to carry for work, the farm, camping, ect.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #76
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
good point, i guess it's best to keep your mouth shut infront of the cop

This is something you should do regardless.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #77
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Found my new EDC knife for work, a Spyderco Lil Native. 2" edge with a pocket clip, nice and small in the pocket. Compared with the Para2.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #78
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Zero Tolerance came out with a new fixed blade, model 0006, so I picked one up. Other than a slightly loose sheath, which I can fix with the wife's hairdryer, I'm digging it so far. Shown next to a ZT 0170, which I have to say is still my favorite fixed blade.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2023, 11:02 AM   #79
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

This wrestler is the ultimate knife enthusiast.

If you know, you know.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 08:17 AM   #80
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

I keep an EMS style folding knife with seatbelt ripper and window punch in my vehicle but I also have a nice drop point I will take with me often. I hope to never use them in self defense or anything I just like them. Been looking at karambits a lot lately as well.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post: