Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Air Fryers - What's Up With That?

Do you own and use an air fryer? Are you in love with it? Why? What's all this "you gotta have it!" noise about?

Old 11-23-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like my air raw. No frying required.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love mine.

It doesn't do anything that other appliances I own don't do, but it does them way, way faster, and to clean it I just put 3 pieces in the dishwaser. Couldn't be easier
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have one of the countertop convection oven style ones. It's a 13 quart model from Costco. Gets up to 400F. Came with a rotisserie basket that makes the best wings and fries you've ever made at home.

I don't think I'll use the oven except for cooking turkeys.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #5
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My oven has air fry and it is amazing. Cooks chicken wings better than any method I've ever used.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:28 AM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Do you own and use an air fryer? Are you in love with it? Why? What's all this "you gotta have it!" noise about?

All the appetizers (especially frozen) are so easy to make, cook faster and come out awesome/better. Ovens are often slower and not as crispy.

I love how easy it is to make Cavendish fries, popcorn shrimp, calamari, fish and chips, baked Perogie etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 01:30 AM   #7
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got one. They are a mini convection oven that is the modern replacement for a toaster oven. Great for small items that would normally go in the oven like a few chicken fingers. The "fryer" name is nothing but marketing and there is no comparison with foods like chips or wings cooked in a deep fryer.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alton Brown drunkenly reviewing an air fryer is probably worth watching.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no frying, that’s more a marketing gimmick. It’s just a mini convection oven. If you’re doing single serve stuff it’s much faster than starting up the oven and cleaning the oven of spattering. I have a Ninja and it’s one of the most used appliances in my household maybe even more than the microwave. For $100 it was totally worth it. If you’re cooking large dishes that actually require the oven then the oven has its place but from a day to day standpoint the airfryer is so quick. Wings = 15 minutes, chicken breasts maybe 20 minutes, fries, 12 minutes. It’s very useful. I have an instant pot and that’s kinda gimmicky and poorly designed in many ways button wise.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #10
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best appliance I've ever purchased. If you don't have one, get one.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #11
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had one. It didn’t suit my wife’s old-school cooking style so we handed it off to our daughter who finds it more useful occasionally. She also prefers cooking a complete meal from scratch when she has the time.
Air fry is designed for fast fry of prepared foods.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We've got a Ninja Foodi that is more like an indoor grill than an air fryer but basically it's the same thing as others have said; a small convection oven.

We use it quite a bit, faster and uses less energy than the oven if all we want to do is grill some chicken or roast some veggies.

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #13
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
makes the best wings and fries you've ever made at home.
I have one and it makes these things very well. But the quoted is only true if you haven't made them in a deep fryer.

For French fries:

Oven << air fryer <<<<< deep fryer
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #14
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah for fries I don't like it. Deep fried dries in oil is the best.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #15
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went from "oh this will be fun to cook chicken wings in" to "I cook 90% of my meals in this."

Great YouTube videos out there on how to cook everything from porkchops to steaks in it.

I'm thinking about getting a second one so I can do my meats in one and my sides in the other.

Can now consistently cook all my dinners in 20 minutes or less, using basically no oil.

Love it.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I've got one. They are a mini convection oven that is the modern replacement for a toaster oven. Great for small items that would normally go in the oven like a few chicken fingers. The "fryer" name is nothing but marketing and there is no comparison with foods like chips or wings cooked in a deep fryer.
I think this is mostly true. Most air fryers (not to be confused with an acti-fry which is a totally different product) are like a mini convection oven with a slight "extra" feature that allows it to be a slight step towards a deep fryer. This is done with the ability to push quite a bit of hot air under the food (rather than moisture trapped under a baking sheet).

This allows the ability to make appetizers in a manner that would be more uniform and crispy than if you made it in an oven. I love grabbing Cavendish fries from Costco. While the deep fry version at the Costco food court is superior, the fact I feel I can make the fries to around 90-95% of the Costco food court quality using an air fryer is a huge win for me.

Additionally, deep fryer might be tastier, but there's no damn way I'd ever whip one out just for a small batch of Cavendish fries, especially since I have kids. The air fryer wins hands down in that regards. It's just so awesome to have random appetizers in the freezer than I can whip out and have ready to consume on a whim in around 15-20 minutes, including a couple minutes of preheat.

EDIT: It's also great for heating up pizza without being as soggy. And it's awesome that unlike the oven, in the summer your home isn't extra uncomfortably hot from the oven after making something in it.

Last edited by DoubleF; 11-24-2021 at 08:46 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's already been said many times, but our air fryer gets used so much that I legitimately consider purchasing a second one.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #18
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only issue with some air fryers is the space they take for the amount of food they can fit. They are different kinds that avoid this issue, but the ones you typically see at stores are big and unless you are buying huge ones, its hard to get a family sized serving of anything out of it.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Air Fry is a marketing thing that allowed manufacturers to sell you convection ovens under a catchy new name.

The good news is that the hype and $$$ have created some cool innovation and neat appliances that are smarter and smaller than your usual appliances.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #20
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

It's happening again. Don't worry, this just keeps going around. Toaster ovens, bread machines, Instapots....

Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: