Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #41
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
So my wife has given me the green light to get back onto 2 wheels this spring. I sold my street bike when we started having kids so I have taken about a 20 year hiatus. (I miss that machine 1982 Yamaha Seca 650) I have still dabbled in dirt bikes and rented street bikes on a couple trips so I feel like I should still be pretty competent out there.

Anyhow...I have been looking around and I think the adventure bikes look pretty interesting. Dont care for the bird beaks on them but I figure I may just have to overlook that part.

Any recommendations? My budget isnt super high. Would like to stay under 5K if possible but may be willing to stretch a little bit if that isnt reasonable.
You may have to up that budget, everyone has been looking for adventure bikes since Covid started and prices are fairly high. Assuming you are fine with used/older bikes? I think the only thing in that range may be the KLR650 unless you go smaller.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 03-11-2021 at 02:36 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #42
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
You may have to up that budget, everyone has been looking for adventure bikes since Covid started and prices are fairly high. Assuming you are fine with used/older bikes? I think the only thing in that range may be the KLR650 unless you go smaller.
Exercise equipment, bicycles and now motorbikes all jacked up by Covid? That kinda sucks.

Yes I am ok with used, dont really have the budget to go new which would probably take me beyond 10K.

I came across a used Suzuki V-Strom online a couple days ago but it sold really quickly. Looked really nice. Is that inferior to the KLR? I am really just starting out again so my knowledge base is still pretty low. Will be taking some time to do some research but I know how that can end up spinning someone in circles too. Interested to hear any real world examples from the community here. Thanks.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #43
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exercise equipment, bicycles and now motorbikes all jacked up by Covid? That kinda sucks.

Yes I am ok with used, dont really have the budget to go new which would probably take me beyond 10K.

I came across a used Suzuki V-Strom online a couple days ago but it sold really quickly. Looked really nice. Is that inferior to the KLR? I am really just starting out again so my knowledge base is still pretty low. Will be taking some time to do some research but I know how that can end up spinning someone in circles too. Interested to hear any real world examples from the community here. Thanks.
I've got a V-Strom and I think it's fantastic. I haven't been on a KLR, so I couldn't really say much in terms of a comparison, but I do love my bike. I moved this way from a cruiser, which I also loved because it was kind of a "quintessential motorcycle". The adventure bike is such a smooth and great ride though. Really...a guy needs more than one bike to cover the bases!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #44
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've got a V-Strom and I think it's fantastic. I haven't been on a KLR, so I couldn't really say much in terms of a comparison, but I do love my bike. I moved this way from a cruiser, which I also loved because it was kind of a "quintessential motorcycle". The adventure bike is such a smooth and great ride though. Really...a guy needs more than one bike to cover the bases!
Is yours a 650 or 1000? My previous bike was a 650 and seemed powerful enough but it was more of a pure street bike so maybe something like the V-Strom being a hybrid and potentially loading with luggage would mean more power would be a bigger need?
Old 03-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #45
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is yours a 650 or 1000? My previous bike was a 650 and seemed powerful enough but it was more of a pure street bike so maybe something like the V-Strom being a hybrid and potentially loading with luggage would mean more power would be a bigger need?
Mine is the 650, and I feel like it's good. My cruiser was an 800 and I was a little leery of dropping down, but this bike is also a lot lighter than that cruiser! So, for me, I feel like the 650 is fine. I have Givi saddlebags and a top case on mine also, and while I can't say I've packed them to the gills, I've used those and also had a passenger on the bike and had no issues at all.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #46
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Older Vstroms are bulletproof and cheap, the V twin has decent torque.

I would think about what you'd use it for, if you're looking to do any off road, or gravel, the 650 is great. If you go to the bigger bikes they are unwieldy on anything other than pavement. I chose an 800 vs. 1200 for this purpose, it has tons of power even when I have all of my bags on it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the 650 vstroms were going for just under 10K brand new, which is really nice when you have some warranty and a bunch of the new creature comforts that really make long days on the bikes comfy.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #47
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Heading down to Kookanusa next weekend. Apparently most of the snow is gone!

Social distancing camping and riding in the mountains in March? Bueno!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #48
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Heading down to Kookanusa next weekend. Apparently most of the snow is gone!

Social distancing camping and riding in the mountains in March? Bueno!
Hope you have heated gear! haha
Old 03-12-2021, 07:43 AM   #49
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Hope you have heated gear! haha
Nah dude, when you are riding single track you just sweat your ass off regardless of the temp.

It's gonna be +8ish. That's the warmest I have ridden in 4 months! It's gonna be balmy!
Old 03-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #50
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Super disappointed in myself that all winter I planned to save for an adv bike and have exactly $0 in the jar.

Good luck greyshep.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #51
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I will not be on the road as soon as I thought. Was going to run the bike to the shop to get some diagnosis on a stumbling issue at low RPM and did not realize, A. how long my bike has been sitting (gas went bad), and B. the tank was only 3/4 full and there's some decent rust/scale in there. Just what I wanted to deal with. Should have the tank cleaned up in a couple days, tore apart the pump and cleaned that all up nice, hopefully nothing nasty made it thought the fuel filter.

More to follow......
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #52
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forgot to post yesterday, went for a nice little shakedown rip yesterday /feelsgoodman

Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #53
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

After mulling it over for a couple of years, I'm going to get my Class 6 this spring and hopefully buy a bike. Not sure exactly what you but definitely leaning toward a cruiser. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 20 years so I expect a bit of a learning curve, but I used to rip around on dirt bikes a lot when I was a teenager and I'm an avid cyclist so hopefully some of the skills will transfer.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #54
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pulled the bike out of hibernation yesterday, felt great. Except I think I need to replace my front tire, which is really annoying.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #55
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Thoughts on the KTM 390 Adventure? Looks like a hell of a bike for the price, and ticks nearly every box on my list of wants that I'd do with it.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #56
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Thoughts on the KTM 390 Adventure? Looks like a hell of a bike for the price, and ticks nearly every box on my list of wants that I'd do with it.
That is a great bike...if it were me I'd go with the Svartpilen 401 (it is the same bike basically, but the styling is fantastic).

The Honda CB500x is a smart buy...you could get a well farkled Suzuki DR650 or KLR 650.

You could also go for an older r1150gs for that price...FWIW I have rode the new Africa Twin and KTM 1190 Adventure...the BMW has a character and feel that the other bikes lack. And, FWIW, the layout of the engine (low horizontally opposed cylinders) makes the bike feel waaaaaayyyyy lighter and more nimble that you would expect.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #57
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
That is a great bike...if it were me I'd go with the Svartpilen 401 (it is the same bike basically, but the styling is fantastic).

The Honda CB500x is a smart buy...you could get a well farkled Suzuki DR650 or KLR 650.

You could also go for an older r1150gs for that price...FWIW I have rode the new Africa Twin and KTM 1190 Adventure...the BMW has a character and feel that the other bikes lack. And, FWIW, the layout of the engine (low horizontally opposed cylinders) makes the bike feel waaaaaayyyyy lighter and more nimble that you would expect.
Thanks for the response, I actually ended up putting a deposit on a 390 on the weekend. It was close between the CB500x and the Svartpilen, but in the end some features I wanted won out, as well as it already having accessories I would add. But wow, that Svartpilen is a nice machine. For the other bikes, I'm vertically challenged in the legs, so they are a bit tough. The 390 being the higher of the smaller bikes is already a stretch at 33". Also thought about the Versys X 300, good all around machine but power a bit lacking.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #58
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The snow is all my fault, I took the bike off the trickle charger and detailed it yesterday. My bad
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #59
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
The snow is all my fault, I took the bike off the trickle charger and detailed it yesterday. My bad
You bastard!
Old 05-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #60
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Resurrecting this thread a bit. Figured I would update with what I ended up getting...

2008 Suzuki V-Strom

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post: