Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Anybody else on a keto diet?

Over the past couple years I packed on some pounds, I have always been on the thin side and I had developed a pretty big pot belly. Too much bad snacking and fast food. So at the beginning of October I went keto, limiting my carbs to 20g a day. Fast forward to today and much of the pot belly is gone although the weight came off my face and other areas first. I have lost 35 pounds. I have also introduced intermittent fasting to my strategy. Still have a bit of stubborn belly fat I am hoping to eliminate by the time the nice weather roles around. Halloween sucked. Thanksgiving sucked. Christmas...ya that sucked too. So thought I would make an update support thread for those on this journey. Feel free to share meal plans, results, and just general griping about others enjoying their treats when you can't.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

For me, there's no way around it, the only way to lose weight is to stop drinking for periods of time. The drinks have so many calories, and then the food choices I make when drinking are horrendous. The weight loss starts immediately after about 1 week of drinking. Part of that could be to bloat created by the alcohol, but it's pretty consistent at almost a pound per week not drinking.

It's not as though I'm drinking during the day or alone. It's just the 1-3 times a week I meet people for drinks that makes it impossible to lose weight.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
For me, there's no way around it, the only way to lose weight is to stop drinking for periods of time. The drinks have so many calories, and then the food choices I make when drinking are horrendous. The weight loss starts immediately after about 1 week of drinking. Part of that could be to bloat created by the alcohol, but it's pretty consistent at almost a pound per week not drinking.

It's not as though I'm drinking during the day or alone. It's just the 1-3 times a week I meet people for drinks that makes it impossible to lose weight.
I think you will have to bite the bullet and order water or diet pop when you do your outings. Social situations are tough for sure. I remember when I quit smoking and I would meet up with my buddies for coffee every week and all of them would go out for a dart every half an hour or so. I just kept reminding myself how much healthier and grateful I will be down the road I didn't cave and I am.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think you will have to bite the bullet and order water or diet pop when you do your outings. Social situations are tough for sure. I remember when I quit smoking and I would meet up with my buddies for coffee every week and all of them would go out for a dart every half an hour or so. I just kept reminding myself how much healthier and grateful I will be down the road I didn't cave and I am.
I like to drink in moderation socially though....I don't plan to stop entirely ever, unless it becomes a problem. I just need to do it less.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like the comment about drinking, there is a pretty strong correlation between the amount i drink and my weight in a given week.

On the Keto side. My intuition is that it sounds like a more expensive gimik. If you have the discipline to follow that diet;

1) Eat a little bit less food (weigh you food, use smaller plates, order the kids meal...)
2) Avoid foods without any protein or fiber (pop & candy)
3) Eat allot more vegetables. (while still eating less overall)

You'll get 100% of the benefits, without a restrictive diet that has you second guessing what you can / cannot eat, which will eventually trend towards high cost, repetitive meal plans. Repetitive diets will typically lead towards cheating on your diet or having minor health problems like specific vitamin deficiencies.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is not really a gimmick, it has been around for years. It is a proven model to go into Ketosis to burn fat. I am not struggling at all with it, just thought a support thread would be cool.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I did strict keto for 8 months last year and lost 50 lbs.

Went to a dirty keto for the next 8 months and maintained that weight within 10 lbs.

About two weeks ago I decided to go back to strict keto and am also doing a 18:6 intermittent fasting schedule.

I've lost about 8 lbs since then (water weight mostly), but I feel damn good.

I do it to lose weight, but the mental clarity and total lack of bloating is what will probably keep me doing it forever.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Intermittent fasting is the ####. I do an 18ish hour fast and try and keep my calories under 1600 for the day.

I dont believe in keto as I don't think I'd sustain it long term, but I try and limit net carbs to 80 a day.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Intermittent fasting is the ####. I do an 18ish hour fast and try and keep my calories under 1600 for the day.

I dont believe in keto as I don't think I'd sustain it long term, but I try and limit net carbs to 80 a day.
A 16-18hr fast, with reasonable caloric intake during the eating window is my general diet as well.

I've never tried Keto, but I think I would find it too restrictive to be able to sustain it. I find IF relatively easy and effective, while still being able to enjoy my favorite foods (and drinks). In fact, I find that I can use an indulgence, like wing night, as a motivation to push my fast longer.

As always, the best 'diet' is the one that you can stick to.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #10
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Whatever works for you, good job.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some older people at work have been on it for a while as have some family members and they have lost a lot of weight. Sounds like it's only a matter of discipline. I've never dieted in my life so I'm the furthest thing from an expert but this diet seems to be better than a lot of the typical fad diets.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #12
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Over the past couple years I packed on some pounds, I have always been on the thin side and I had developed a pretty big pot belly. Too much bad snacking and fast food. So at the beginning of October I went keto, limiting my carbs to 20g a day. Fast forward to today and much of the pot belly is gone although the weight came off my face and other areas first. I have lost 35 pounds. I have also introduced intermittent fasting to my strategy. Still have a bit of stubborn belly fat I am hoping to eliminate by the time the nice weather roles around. Halloween sucked. Thanksgiving sucked. Christmas...ya that sucked too. So thought I would make an update support thread for those on this journey. Feel free to share meal plans, results, and just general griping about others enjoying their treats when you can't.
My wife started and I was thinking of joining her.

I'm an evening snacker.
what do you eat for snacks for when you're peckish?

If anyone on Keto needs a good recipe for buns, let me know.
My wife has one she uses to make hotdog and hamburger buns that she says is amazing
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #13
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

got up to 190 during Christmas. Back on intermittent fasting 16:8, and doing Keto. Down to 180 now. Starting to feel better and sleep better again. I tend to do Keto every year because December my diet becomes a free for all.

I'm hypoglycemic, plus now I seem to get eczema when I have too many bad carbs. Keto controls the hypoglycema and the eczema goes away.

The only thing I miss are my IPA's. I only had one or two on the weekend, but now I'm trying different whiskey's (scotch, bourbon, rum, gin etc) and I'm enjoying that.

Last edited by bossy22; 01-29-2020 at 08:10 AM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #15
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried Keto and had too many side effects.
I know it can be effective for some and good on you OP for your success. For me, I was getting crazy heart palpitations and lost mostly water weight that didn't stay off anyway.
Not something I could do long term, so not the right way of eating for me.

Now I'm in a very good habit of logging everything I eat in MyFitnessPal and it's a game changer.
Figure out your TDEE, set a calorie deficit, eat good quality whole foods as much as possible. It has been a real eye opener to me on how many extra calories I was getting from unsuspected sources before.

And as mentioned already, alcohol packs on so many extra calories it's pretty much impossible for me to have a calorie deficit when drinking a couple times a week.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #16
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

another thing I found on Keto was I get more energy, and I can ride further. When doing Gran Fondo's, while eating healthy, but lots of carbs, I always would bonk sometime after 80kms. I need extra sports drinks and gels to get me to the finish, but with Keto, I don't bonk.

But, everybody is different. It doesn't work for some. I've always done better with less carbs. I still eat lots of vegetables, but no more high glycemic carbs...except at Christmas time...and camping.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find that the trickiest part of keto is how strict it is. A bad day or two can take you out of ketosis and you may have to go through the "keto flu" again to get back into it. The "all in" nature of the diet makes it challenging to sustain because the realities of life can make it hard to live on keto over the long term - work, school, travel can make it tough to be compliant to the keto macros.

Other diets allow a cheat day or cheat meal every so often and I think that makes it less of a black or white situation. You can have a bad day and just get back on track the next day which I believe is a really important way to look at diet. I think that diet should seek progress rather than perfection. When you seek perfection it is really easy to give up entirely when you mess up.

At the same time, if keto works for you and you can stick with it, good for you!

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 01-29-2020 at 10:34 AM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #18
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You are doing exactly what I just started. IF, 1600 unless I'm doing a gym day then I go to 2100....and no booze.

First week I dropped 6.2 lbs.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #19
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
My wife started and I was thinking of joining her.

I'm an evening snacker.
what do you eat for snacks for when you're peckish?

If anyone on Keto needs a good recipe for buns, let me know.
My wife has one she uses to make hotdog and hamburger buns that she says is amazing
My go to snacks are pork rinds, good Cheddar cheese slices ( not the Kraft singles crap), olives, pumpkin seeds, almonds, raw broccoli with a high fat dip, and of course bacon. Pepperettes are good too.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #20
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know this is a keto thread, I don't mean to hijack.

For you guys doing IF, are you drinking coffee in the morning? Even black? From what I understand, if you intake anything other than water, it kickstarts your liver, and takes you out of a true fast. Then you're essentially on calorie control.

What I don't know, is if the added benefits of being in a true fast are negligible over basically reducing your caloric intake.

I think that's where the waters start to get muddied on IF studies.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keto , lose weight , oilers suck , support thread , willpower