Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it could be as simple as small sample size and is due to revert to the mean.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #42
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So we have a stat here - on the PK, the Flames give up a fair number of shots, but Rittich's numbers are awesome - so the question is: what should we conclude from that?

Does it suggest that, on the PK, Rittich suddenly ups his game and becomes the best goalie in the league, then settles back into his normal self, post-PK?

Or does it maybe suggest the Flames are giving up a fair number of shots, but the shots aren't all that dangerous overall, compared to other teams, allowing Rittich to put up best-in-the-league numbers?

For me, the latter explanation is far more likely and plausible.
Do we also give up a fair number of shots because we don’t give up a fair number of goals? Less P.K. goals would equal more PK time & shots
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Do we also give up a fair number of shots because we don’t give up a fair number of goals? Less P.K. goals would equal more PK time & shots
Which speaks well to Rittich, not the PKers.

In all likelihood, it is a combination of all of the points listed, along with some randomness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #44
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

With regards to the PK, let’s remember that the original point was that Hamonic was an elite penalty killer as evidenced by the team’s success in the PK. To me that’s the conclusion that has little support. It is a combination of a great many things.

I also don’t mind a Bennett scratch. I’m not a hater, the guy is an NHLer. But he is not above a healthy scratch now and then, as other players need to rotate in and the gap just isn’t that great between him and others, for a variety of reasons. His production is still replacement level.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #45
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Had a pretty bad game against the Oilers. Needs a kick in the backend to be honest. Guy has a ton more to give and is holding back.

It's weird, but he seems to have toned down his game. That's not Benny what so ever.
Disagree. McDavid had a bad game, in part because he was often matched up against Bennett.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcrosser View Post
Need flames retro white with Canucks black retro please.
The Flames will be wearing their retros tonight, but the red ones, not the white. In fact, the Flames will be wearing the red retros in each of their next 5 home games and 6 of their next 7.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #47
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames shat the bed on Iginla night last year, let’s hope they make things right on Iginla bobble head night.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #48
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does the bobble head giveaway work tonight?
Is it the first XXXX amount of people that come through the main entrance only?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #49
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
With regards to the PK, let’s remember that the original point was that Hamonic was an elite penalty killer as evidenced by the team’s success in the PK. To me that’s the conclusion that has little support. It is a combination of a great many things.

I also don’t mind a Bennett scratch. I’m not a hater, the guy is an NHLer. But he is not above a healthy scratch now and then, as other players need to rotate in and the gap just isn’t that great between him and others, for a variety of reasons. His production is still replacement level.
So the guy that plays the most time per game killing penalties on the 2nd best (elite by definition) PK unit in the entire league...is not evidence that he is an elite PKer?

OK then.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #50
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So the guy that plays the most time per game killing penalties on the 2nd best (elite by definition) PK unit in the entire league...is not evidence that he is an elite PKer?

OK then.
Well I think Rittich has more time on the PK than Hamonic.

And I don’t subscribe to the belief that being on the ice when good things happen is the qualifier for being elite. It’s evidence, but not sufficient for a conclusion. Which isn’t a criticism of Hamonic as he seems to be just fine on the PK.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #51
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

It is this year for sure.

But his production has been strong third line contributor for years, which is the better sample size.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It is this year for sure.

But his production has been strong third line contributor for years, which is the better sample size.
Sue but I’m good with the coach focused on his current play when making out the lineup card. Not like it’s a permanent decision.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #53
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

An interesting question could be...

If Bennett can play so well in a shutdown role, is he a possible replacement for Backlund in that role? Their offensive instincts are similar, but Bennett is more physical and cheaper.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #54
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Sue but I’m good with the coach focused on his current play when making out the lineup card. Not like it’s a permanent decision.
I agree with that part 100%.

He has been off this year, and coming off an injury. Plus a team with depth has to cycle players in ... that's why I don't lose it when Stone comes in once and a while.

Forwards 13/14 and Dman 7 can't just sit there for 9 weeks in a row and then be disapointed because they're not ready when an injury comes along.

But on production average Bennett was a 6.5 forward last year in the NHL (points per 60), not replacement level.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
That is a very impressive stat.

No one plays more PK time per game than Travis Hamonic...yet many are trying to run him out of town....for "picks".

Maybe he actually contributes a bunch more than many of us think?
He appears to have declined foot speed and isn't the D-man he used to be, having said that I believe the idea behind trading one of Hamonic or Brodie isn't just to "run the guy out of town for 'picks', it was

a) from an asset management side, don't lose two top 4 defensemen for nothing unless you feel you're a contender, and;

b) Trade from a position of strength to upgrade our top 6 forwards that badly need another scoring threat if we wish to contend.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #56
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Janko WILL score a point and the flames WILL win.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #57
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I agree with that part 100%.

He has been off this year, and coming off an injury. Plus a team with depth has to cycle players in ... that's why I don't lose it when Stone comes in once and a while.

Forwards 13/14 and Dman 7 can't just sit there for 9 weeks in a row and then be disapointed because they're not ready when an injury comes along.

But on production average Bennett was a 6.5 forward last year in the NHL (points per 60), not replacement level.
Agree with his production last year being above replacement level. It was solid third line material. But he’s also in that area where a sustained period of play below that level puts him in the healthy scratch danger zone. It would be different if he was a consistent 30 goal scorer and you’d be confident in a rebound.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #58
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is a very impressive stat.

No one plays more PK time per game than Travis Hamonic...yet many are trying to run him out of town....for "picks".

Maybe he actually contributes a bunch more than many of us think?
It’s because Brodie isn’t struggling as much these days, both are UFAs, we have Valimaki coming back, the 2nd pairing has been bad, and we need cap space to improve our forwards.

Personally I think the 2nd pairing has struggled mostly because of Hanifin but understand why Hamonic is the scapegoat.

I’d be happy if we kept either one of Brodie or Hamonic but the one thing that I worry about is not getting anything for either one of them if they leave as UFAs.

That would be a major fail in my books.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #59
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope everyone plays Petterson hard but don't end up taking bad penalties. Also hit Hughes anytime you can too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

An interesting stat on the division so far this year...

I don't care about point totals so much, because teams have played a different number of games. So I look at games above .500. Here are the top 5 teams in the division (currently), first in October, then since October:

Oct:
EDM: +5
VAN: +5
VGS: +3
ARI: +3
CGY: +1

Since:
CGY: +4
ARI: +3
VGS: +3
VAN: 0
EDM: -2

It has turned upside down (to no one's surprise). This division is there for the taking, for any team that can put a run together.

A regulation win tonight would give us some separation over VAN and EDM.

Tags
jobu , keanuneedspoints , picklepicklepicklepickle , tuskanraiders , winwinwin