Nm
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #42
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
More than half the league already makes the playoffs. You want the league to be like the CFL where bad teams make the playoffs?
I would rather some bad teams make it in than some very good teams miss out.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #43
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I would be ok with a play-in for the 8th seed...If those teams were tied in points instead of TOW as the first tie breaker

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #44
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playoffs should be seeded 1 through 16, regardless of conference. The six division winners get home ice and the next 10 teams with the most points make it in.

I'm sick of eastern teams getting cupcake travel for the entirety of the year until the last two weeks when one of them has to go to a different time zone.

Also we'd get a chance to see the two best teams play each other for a Stanley Cup - no other North American pro sport does that.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #45
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
No.

I think a better question is if Gaudreau had missed most of the season and was on the verge of returning just in time for the playoffs, and the Flames had missed the playoffs by one point (finishing the season 20-6-4 even without Gaudreau), would the reaction to this thread be the same as it is now?

My main suggestion is to expand the playoffs to include more teams. So far no one has made a counter argument to it.
Let me quote your original post:

Quote:
And it's a huge shame that a team with 94 points, which ended the season on a 20-6-4 tear, won't be partaking in these playoffs. The Lightning are just now starting to get healthy and hitting their stride, but due to an (IMO) very unfair standings and playoff format, these playoffs will not include one of the league's best teams.
Half the teams make it, half don't. Everyone is aware of this from the start. Nothing unfair.

Also, Tampa is not one of the best teams otherwise they'd be able to make the playoffs.

Quote:
A case could be made that Jets fans are also getting the raw end of the deal considering their team just won 7 in a row to finish off the rs... all for naught.
The jets shouldn't have lost 5 in a row in Nov and 4 in a row multiple times in the season.

Quote:
To me, games played early in the season don't have a whole lot of relevance to how a team would perform in April/May/June, and the standing/playoff format should be adjusted to account for that.
This make's it sound like you want games weighted differently, not expanding standings.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #46
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Say no to CFL style playoff rules. I'd sooner see the NHL take less teams to the playoffs before they take more.

Reason? Meaningful regular season games. Once 2/3 of your teams make the playoffs the regular season games become meaningless. Proof? CFL. Further proof? MLB and NFL.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #47
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #48
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

My god. Show me an example anywhere in the world of professional sports where the regular season games are weighted differently. Sorry but that idea is asinine. As for adding additional teams, adding maybe 1 more team per conference in a one game playoff to determine who gets WC2 is the only real feasible option (a la March Madness and MLB wild card). But that suggestion is merely slightly less asinine than weighted games.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #49
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Games at one point in the season should be worth more, not doing so is archaic? Late season winning streaks are the true value of a team? Players were injured so that shouldn't count?

A lot of crazy gibberish in that post. Your one strong point was that of the 108 point teams. Down side of the divisional format, but people also need to remember that with this format the teams don't play a balanced schedule. So 108 in one division MIGHT notmean the same as 108 or even less points in another division,

Regardless, lots of very strange takes and one interesting point to ponder in a very long post.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #50
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The likely hood of the Caps and Pens playing in the second round is wrong in so many ways. This should be a conference final. The league needs to go back to the old system where the 1st place team played the 16th and so on.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #51
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has the be one of the most ridiculous threads ever on CP and that is saying a lot! Change the format to avoid two top teams meeting up? Sure. Have a wildcard play in game? Maybe. Early season games counting less then later season games? Nope, Nope, Nope.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #52
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Counter arguments so far:

- No matter what the system is, it's totally fair as long as everyone knows what the format is from the start.

- If you get decimated by injuries, you shouldn't be considered a good team even if you win loads of games when you get healthy again.

- No pro league does something, so it must therefore be bad.

- A picture of Oprah Winfrey.

- I'm gonna call something "crazy gibberish" and "ridiculous" without explaining why.

Not exactly off to a flying start here guys...
Old 04-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #53
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, once we get to 32 teams, we can have everyone make the playoffs and just have 5 rounds instead of 4.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #54
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Counter arguments so far:

- No matter what the system is, it's totally fair as long as everyone knows what the format is from the start.

- If you get decimated by injuries, you shouldn't be considered a good team even if you win loads of games when you get healthy again.

- No pro league does something, so it must therefore be bad.

- A picture of Oprah Winfrey.

- I'm gonna call something "crazy gibberish" and "ridiculous" without explaining why.

Not exactly off to a flying start here guys...

Actually there were far better counters that you chose to ignore.

Why don't you paint a picture of what you envision the NHL to look like rather than going on a senseless rant (which warrants ridiculous responses IMO).
Old 04-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #55
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suggest that the very good teams did make the playoffs this year. Very good teams overcome adversity and win anyway.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #56
leah12
Draft Pick

My biggest gripe is that there are eight playoff spots for the fourteen Western Conference teams, and eight playoff spots for the sixteen Eastern Conference teams. I understand that there is less travel involved in the East due to geography, and Detroit were eager to switch conferences, but I still don't think it is fair.

All things being equal each team in the East has a fifty-fifty shot of making the playoffs, but teams in the West have a 57% chance each year.
leah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leah12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #57
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Playoff Format Complaint Thread

Quote:

What defines a good team and a bad team for you? (serious question)

For most people, it's the standings that helps quantify this, so I'm confused as to what you would think is good and what is bad.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #58
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Too many teams make the playoffs already...
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #59
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not going to add to the pile up on Mathgod, but I will say this, the playoffs could have included a battle of Alberta and a battle of California. Instead it's two match ups that are meaningless in rivalry. There's no passion against the Ducks, just like there's no passion in the Oilers against the Sharks.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #60
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Actually there were far better counters that you chose to ignore.
Which were...?

Quote:
Why don't you paint a picture of what you envision the NHL to look like rather than going on a senseless rant (which warrants ridiculous responses IMO).
Expanding the playoff format to include more teams. It could mean giving the top seed in each conference a first round bye and adding two league-wide wildcard spots.

I would actually take it farther than that if it were up to me. Before you scoff at the idea of a larger playoff format, go ask the NCAA how 'horribly' their large playoff basketball format has been working out for them.

Quote:
Your one strong point was that of the 108 point teams. Down side of the divisional format, but people also need to remember that with this format the teams don't play a balanced schedule. So 108 in one division MIGHT notmean the same as 108 or even less points in another division,
They play more games in their own division against tough competition, so 108 points is actually a more impressive feat in that division than it would be in another.

Quote:
Very good teams overcome adversity and win anyway.
This is only true to a certain extent. No team in the NHL can have infinite depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
What defines a good team and a bad team for you? (serious question)

For most people, it's the standings that helps quantify this, so I'm confused as to what you would think is good and what is bad.
The standings paint much of the picture. There are, however, some situations where very good teams miss the playoffs due to things happening outside of their control (ie: disproportionate amount of man games lost injuries by key players). This is why expanding the playoffs would make it less likely that a good team would miss out.

I also think that a team's performance 6 months in the past is not indicative of how good a team they are today.

Last edited by Mathgod; 04-09-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue jackets , lightning , penguins , playoffs , standings