Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #21
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
hey are a good pair but let's not pretend they are amongst the leagues best here. If they were, the Flames would certainly be a few more rungs up the standings.
Except the other pairings which play 60% of the game are the worst pairings in the league.

Whoever plays with Gio between Brodie and Hamilton looks great, whoever doesn't looks like a 3rd pairing D.

Maybe we need to stop saying we should trade Gio
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #22
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

After last night's tremendous performance, Giordano-Hamilton is now 8th among pairings in Goals for % at 62.79%.

For reference, the pairings with higher ratios are:

3 Washington pairings (the best 5v5 team since 07-08)
Super-Spurgeon (who are legitimately very, very good and play in front of Dubnyk)
Schultz-Cole (Pittsburgh's sheltered all-offense pair)
Chicago and Ottawa's 3rd pairings

What these two have been able to do with the supporting cast and goalies this team has actually been incredible. I wouldn't say that either of them would really be in the Norris conversation individually but if there was an award for pairings they would have it locked up if they kept playing like they are.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #23
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Except the other pairings which play 60% of the game are the worst pairings in the league.

Whoever plays with Gio between Brodie and Hamilton looks great, whoever doesn't looks like a 3rd pairing D.

Maybe we need to stop saying we should trade Gio
Which was the point of my post.....statistically they look very good on our team because the rest of the d pairings are so woefully inept. Being better than your teammates doesn't make you one of the best pairings in the league.

They're certainly a good pairing but this is a textbook situation where advanced stats are quite misleading.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-22-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #24
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Terrific pairing definitely top 5 in the league (IMO)
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #25
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I've honestly moved to the hybrid camp now.

I don't discount what I see, but I think discounting all advanced stats is equally as close minded.

You have to look at both. Good hockey fans know good hockey, but if a guy is on the ice for 60% of shot attempts against every night he has to be part of the problem. You can't just ignore it.

The drop of Brodie without having Giordano at the same time you see a rise in Hamilton is circumstantial, but certainly interesting.

Giordano isn't the player he was with the puck, but he clearly isn't a lot of fun to play against.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #26
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shift in performance in Brodie and Hamilton's play with and without Giordano says all you need to know Giordano. He's not as good of a skater as the other two so he often gets overlooked, but pretty clear who's the key component on our D right now.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't the stats from the initial post suggest Giordano and Hamilton are the best defensemen pairing in the league at generating offense? How are they at shot suppression and goals allowed? I see the GF% tells part of this story, but what about SAT and USAT?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #28
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
If these advanced stats were legitimately effective it would factor in that the top pairing of Giordano and Hamilton look so good because the next two pairings have been borderline incompetent all season.

There were many plays last night that sum up exactly why Gio and Dougie have some serious holes in their games. Lapses in the corners, playing way too soft on forwards around the net etc.

They are a good pair but let's not pretend they are amongst the leagues best here. If they were, the Flames would certainly be a few more rungs up the standings.
The team is in a playoff spot for the most part because of Hamilton, Backlund and Tkachuk. It's not out to lunch to think that Hamilton is already one of the top D in the league, pair him with Gio and Ya thats probably one of the top 5v5 pairs in the league. Gio had his struggles early but since being paired with Dougie they have been really good.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #29
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Don't the stats from the initial post suggest Giordano and Hamilton are the best defensemen pairing in the league at generating offense? How are they at shot suppression and goals allowed? I see the GF% tells part of this story, but what about SAT and USAT?
SAT is Corsi, USAT is Fenwick.

In raw numbers, they are #2 in SAT, #1 in USAT, and in relative numbers, they are #1 in both.

They control the play like no others do.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #30
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Man Dougie is having a great season. Showing really nice progression every year since he's been in the league. Gonna be a horse for us for a long time.
Actually according to Burke he's a deer, not a horse. Close enough though!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #31
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know this isn't a Brodie thread, so I am hoping for someone to point me to a discussion which likely exists in another spot. On Tuesday Friedman said something along the lines of "now that Brodie has gone public with what he's being dealing with, it's understandable why he's having an off year"

What's Brodie been "dealing with"?

Thanks for laying those stats as you did. Also reinforces why Treliving worked on retooling the bottom 4 d-pairings.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #32
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ His wife was diagnosed with MS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #33
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I know this isn't a Brodie thread, so I am hoping for someone to point me to a discussion which likely exists in another spot. On Tuesday Friedman said something along the lines of "now that Brodie has gone public with what he's being dealing with, it's understandable why he's having an off year"

What's Brodie been "dealing with"?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
^ His wife was diagnosed with MS.
I think it is important to point out that Brodie's wife was diagnosed in Oct 2015. I don't doubt that this is something that has an effect on his day-to-day goings on, but I also think there is more than his concerns about his wife's health that factors into his poor performance this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-22-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #34
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Whatever the case may be, best or top 5 or a dominant pairing in the league, you don't see the media talking about how solid of a pair they are.. it's all about the juicy Wideman situation. It would be nice to hear those two get a bit more recognition around the league.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #35
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Zone/Score-Adjusted Shot Suppression (from Corsica):

49.98 shot attempts against per 60 (ranks as 3rd best in League among 500+ 5v5 minute pairings (second place is Washington's Orpik-Schmidt 3rd pair, 1st place is Anaheim's excellent Lindholm-Manson pair), and ranks 1st among 600+ minute 5v5 pairings)

35.83 unblocked shot attempts against per 60 (ranks as 3rd best in League among 500+ 5v5 minute pairings (second place is San jose's Schlemko-Dillon 3rd pair, 1st place is Anaheim's excellent Lindholm-Manson pair), and ranks 1st among 600+ minute 5v5 pairings)

Raw shot suppression numbers by center (from Puckalytics):

W Bennett: 48.99 CA60 / 1.56 GA60
W Monahan: 49.84 CA60 / 1.60 GA60
W Backlund: 48.39 CA60 / 1.17 GA60
W Stajan 46.66 CA60 / 1.47 GA60

In amusing contrast, Russell-Wideman in 2014-15 when we made the playoffs, had 67.30 CA60 (per Puckalytics) and yet thanks to absurdly inflated SV% (that fell apart the next year) posted a respectable 2.24 GA60

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-22-2017 at 09:56 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The shift in performance in Brodie and Hamilton's play with and without Giordano says all you need to know Giordano. He's not as good of a skater as the other two so he often gets overlooked, but pretty clear who's the key component on our D right now.
Yeah. Wideman is the key component. When he's your partner your game goes down the crapper. Hamilton and Brodie have taken turns on the Wideman train over the past few seasons but Gio mostly gets paired with Brodie or Hamilton. Not taking anything away from Gio because he's a gamer and good all around but he rarely gets stuck with the boat anchor partner.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #37
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I'm glad Hamilton doesn't play the same physical game as a Pronger type, Pronger was injury prone his entire career pretty much. I want to see Hamilton continue to use his big frame more effectively, but I don't want to see him make unnecessary hits and such.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #38
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

But we should get rid of Giordano while we can... Expose him in the expansion draft!

I've been told that the Flames probably regret the contract they gave Giordano the minute he signed!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #39
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing about Gio's contract is he's probably playing to the value of it right now which means unless he's a superfreak in a couple years he will regress to not playing up to it and by the end of it it will be an anchor. And by all accounts the teams window should start to open as he is regressing. What are you gonna do though....
Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #40
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
SAT is Corsi, USAT is Fenwick.

In raw numbers, they are #2 in SAT, #1 in USAT, and in relative numbers, they are #1 in both.

They control the play like no others do.
So both the GF% and SAT%/USAT% are for totals for and against, right? Like the 60% GF means of all goals scored when whoever is on the ice, 60% are for them and 40% are against them. Same for the other measures (not the relative ones, I know that compares to the rest of the team)...is that right?

Sorry, I get turned around on this stuff still, sometimes.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
giordano , hamilton , positivity , we are number one