Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2015 Calgary Foothills PDL Thread

Should get a new thread. Because reasons...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Reasons like a 2-1 win over the Puget Sound Gunners! 1-0-0 to start.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Official attendance for Sunday's game was 770, which is lower than I would have thought but still a pretty decent attendance.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

@KitsapPumas: FULL-TIME: Kitsap Pumas 3-1 Calgary Foothills

A second half hat-trick from super substitute Michael Chamberlain... http://t.co/D7XDNpq9SJ
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foothills draws Seattle Sounders U-23 1-1 this afternoon. Goal from Dominic Russo. Good result IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
skrish
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The late goal hurts, but still a great result!
skrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a wee bump to remind everyone that Calgary Foothills plays Portland Timbers U-23 at Hellard on Tuesday. 7 pm kickoff.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foothills draws Portland Timbers U-23 1-1 last night. Attendance was 765, and considering the rain, I think that is a decent turnout. Supporters group was about the same size, a little louder with the help of a drum. Article on the game is below:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/06/03...am-to-the-edge

Next home game is June 18.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if I should still be updating this thread, not much talk going on...

Pair of draws for Calgary Foothills on the road on this weekend. 1-1 against Lane United, and 0-0 against Timbers U-23. Club is in third place in the NW Division (top 2 make playoffs), although they have played more games than the fourth and fifth placed clubs.

Next game is June 18 at Hellard.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please keep updating. I don't follow enough so these updates are great.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah keep updating it shermanator, I am following, just not posting as I'd like to soak in more of the team's track record first - but very happy you're doing your bit!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I check this thread a lot but don't post because I don't have much to say about PDL soccer. Your updates are much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #13
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad to hear, thanks folks. Hope to see you all on the 18th and 21st.

Also, the club has added a few players of late. They will have Nolan Wirth (national U-20 keeper who also plays for Oregon State) starting June 20 once Sean Melvin's loan ends. They've also added MF Miguel Romeo who recently played in top flight Argentina, and Justin Anderson-Louch who I believe was with Calgary SW United.

The Anderson-Louch signing is very interesting because it's two local clubs working together to provide a promising talent a chance at the next level. Something which we don't always see at this level.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much the same as the other comments - I do enjoy reading and following. I also hope to "put my money where my mouth is" and get to a few games soon. So far, the 18th is looking favourable.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The Anderson-Louch signing is very interesting because it's two local clubs working together to provide a promising talent a chance at the next level. Something which we don't always see at this level.
That is going to be really important going forward. However, it will be tricky as unlike hockey it really is a player market and compensation is fair and essential.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure how much compensation factors in at this level. As far as I understand the players are not being paid, as most of them are in university. Really it is more about the opportunity to play at a higher level than they are currently.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure how much compensation factors in at this level. As far as I understand the players are not being paid, as most of them are in university.
With these clubs are starting to spend a lot of money on training infrastructure and programs, I was thinking more of teenagers that would likely be edging close to their first professional contract if they were good enough. It would suck if you had a kid from age 9, let him switch to a local PDL club at 16 or 17, he signs on for a club like Molde or Preston and the local PDL clubs gets the compensation as they have his registration.

It may not be great sums of money but these clubs are still doing bottle drives and the like so it all helps.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #18
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Glad to hear, thanks folks. Hope to see you all on the 18th and 21st.

Also, the club has added a few players of late. They will have Nolan Wirth (national U-20 keeper who also plays for Oregon State) starting June 20 once Sean Melvin's loan ends. They've also added MF Miguel Romeo who recently played in top flight Argentina, and Justin Anderson-Louch who I believe was with Calgary SW United.

Not to be rude but shouldn't these guys be playing in better leagues? Or will there or are there more players with promising careers playing in this league?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Not to be rude but shouldn't these guys be playing in better leagues? Or will there or are there more players with promising careers playing in this league?
Wirth plays for Oregon State. Signing for any higher league means he is ineligible for the NCAA. Because Foothills doesn't pay that allows him to get more game experience without sacrificing eligibility.

As for Romeo, based on what I have seen, this is more of a last stop for him. He's 27 and was with Foothills 10 years ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #20
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
With these clubs are starting to spend a lot of money on training infrastructure and programs, I was thinking more of teenagers that would likely be edging close to their first professional contract if they were good enough. It would suck if you had a kid from age 9, let him switch to a local PDL club at 16 or 17, he signs on for a club like Molde or Preston and the local PDL clubs gets the compensation as they have his registration.

It may not be great sums of money but these clubs are still doing bottle drives and the like so it all helps.
There really havent been that many opportunities for teens in Calgary. MLS and NASL clubs tend to sign players developed in their own youth systems. If you're not scouted by one of them, where do you go? Not sure if the new USL clubs starting up will change that.

Last edited by shermanator; 06-08-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Tags
foot soldiers , oilers suck , tommy wheeldon