Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #41
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry David View Post
This being a magical season that may not be replicated in the sense that no one was expecting it. Going in to next year, expectations will be higher. I get that part of it.
As for "career seasons from almost everyone", I hear this a lot. Wouldn't that be obvious when most of our key guys are still very young in their careers and nowhere near the typical point for their peak?
Yeah, having more expectations vs next to no expectations can really have an effect, espesically on a young team. Though I can't imagine Gaudreau, Monahan or Bennett having too many issues with this anyways, and the ones that do I'm sure Hartley will help immensely.

Yeah, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Brodie, all these guys will continue to have 'career years' for a few more seasons. But it's more of the older players like Hudler, Russell, Wideman, Engelland (Not so much for points but for stepping up in a huge way as our D went through some injuries).

And also just guys that came out of nowhere and contributed in big ways, Jooris, Bouma, Ferland.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #42
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I dont really read SN or TSN articles. those guys dont know anything and just write things for the sake of writing things. Any person could do what they do.. People here write better things than ######bags at SN and TSN.

Just your regular: click-here-for-more-hits-on-the-website article
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #43
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If that article gets your blood boiling, then you should consider picking out a nice comfortable coffin. Because if your skin is so thin that a fluff piece like that gets under it - I'm surprised it can hold your internal organs together.

The fact is that rope-a-dope, low possession hockey isn't the best recipe for success in the postseason. It worked against Vancouver, largely because they also are a weak possession squad. But against a team that plays a strong possession game, more often than not its going to be a losing strategy over seven games - unless you get otherworldly goaltending.

And surprise, surprise, the Ducks proved just that.

Hopefully, as the Flames' young players mature, the team will be able to become a stronger puck possession squad and over time that will translate into more post-season success.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #44
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meers View Post
If that article gets your blood boiling, then you should consider picking out a nice comfortable coffin. Because if your skin is so thin that a fluff piece like that gets under it - I'm surprised it can hold your internal organs together.

The fact is that rope-a-dope, low possession hockey isn't the best recipe for success in the postseason. It worked against Vancouver, largely because they also are a weak possession squad. But against a team that plays a strong possession game, more often than not its going to be a losing strategy over seven games - unless you get otherworldly goaltending.

Hopefully, as the Flames' young players mature, the team will be able to become a stronger puck possession squad and over time that will translate into more post-season success.
Anaheim, according to 'advanced stats', is very average - far from a strong possession team, according to corsi/fenwick.
They are skilled, big, fast and very good though.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best thing ever would have been the flames winning the cup this year. One of the many reasons it would have been awesome is the first year analytics really get mainstream attention a team with "unsustainable" stats wins it all.

This teams luck did not finally run out they just faced a better team in the playoffs and lost.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #46
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a website that one can view the Corsi/Fenwick stats for the entire series?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #47
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Is there a website that one can view the Corsi/Fenwick stats for the entire series?
I'd rather eat my own liver.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #48
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's like Mark was dead set on using that title no matter where the Flames finished. Probably had it prepared since February. i.e. Flames run unsustainable, eliminated in 2OT in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. Lame!
Jojado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojado For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meers View Post

Or maybe a beat-up and tired team finally ran out of gas.

The possession game never caught up to them for the first 95 games, no matter how many times people said it would. It wasn't their style that finally did them in, it was injuries and playing time. And a solid opponent.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #50
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spec has been leaps and bounds better than he used to be. Some of the articles he used to put out were simply atrocious.

He's had some decent stuff this year.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #51
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

people forget that in the 2013-2014 season, from January 22nd until the end of the season we led the league in scoring IIRC, or at least top 5
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #52
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

We finished the year 4th in goals in the West.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 AM   #53
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dbl post

Last edited by Stay Golden; 05-12-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #54
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of Ward. The Sportsnet/TSN media experts were not so "expert" when it came to Flames predictions all season long until they made the playoffs.
It was only then that they started to believe in the Flames.
Then all but 3 picked the Flames over the higher seed Canucks.
The Flames were heavy under dogs vs the Ducks and they were real close to going back to ANA all tied up 2-2 and in OT for game 5 the Ducks knew if they don't beat the Flames there is going was going to be a 7th game.
Unsustainable nah improbable and Hartley liked his chances of beating improbable with these guys.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #55
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If the officials had called the games like post first round playoff hockey is/should typically be officiated we could've easily been looking at a 7 game series that had a chance to fall either way.

2 post-2nd-period knee jerk penalties for no good ####ing reason at crucial times completly screwed us sideways.

hell, without those, we could be up 3-2 going back to Calgary right now.

the Ducks are the better team, but the Flames were way closer than it ended up. "unstainable"? I wipe my ### with "unsustainable".
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScorchyScorch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2015, 01:38 AM   #56
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, as much as the advanced stats guys and distant observers hate the way the Flames play from a "possession" perspective, that series was on a razors edge through the middle games and could have easily gone Calgary's way, and it's reflected in the quotes from Boudreau.

The Flames were clearly getting better game by game as they were figuring out how to play this matchup. If they won Game 4, they are on an upward trajectory in a tied series. If they won Game 5, they head back home where they are very tough to play and likely force a Game 7 where anything can happen. Anaheim did NOT want either of those scenarios to play out. They knew they had to stomp on the Flames' heads to kill them, and that's why you saw them come out hard in Game 5 OT.

This Flames team is worthy of respect and I hope even the advanced stats honks can offer them that.

They were clearly able to sustain what they were doing.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:10 AM   #57
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not even going to entertain that click bait ..

We just had our most successful season in over a decade.. Monahan avoided the sophomore slump, Johnny H basically nailed his NHLE and blew my expectations out of the water while absolutely refusing to let up - consistency incarnate, Gio and Brodie showed that the end of last season was just them getting started, we ended up facing the Canucks, then tearing their heads off, we finished above edmonton who's management again continually embarrassed the organization, players and fans with excuse and buzzword riddled pressers at the worst possible times (considering the content, that is), and actually ended up playing damn near a dozen games more than they did, watching Bennett show that while his shoulders may not have been able to lift himself in a completely irrelevant setting, they seemed to have little issue carrying a line and the entire teams offence at times, we got to watch guys we've all been rooting for through their young careers (and in the case I'd Michael "Irrelevant" Ferkland, some pretty turbulent personal struggles) join the club throughout the season and watched a half dozen+ recently drafted players add playoff scoring lines to their personal stat sheets, and hell in spite of an early blowout that would have shattered the resolve of lesser men, we pushed back and turned what could have been a "stay in your lane and watch the pros do this" series into an entertaining and hard fought battle with arguably the best team in the league (imo any eastern team that wins the presidents trophy gets an asterisk) and few would argue against it going in a completely different direction with a few bounces and lucky breaks, because much like this sentence the Calgary Flames just don't stop baby
Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #58
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep, the OP totally did not read that article. Another article talking how great we are and how hard we fought.
Unsustainable? More like unforgettable (I think Spector actually says that)

Howitzer, you should change the thread title, as it is even worse clickbait than the Spector article.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #59
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

The often quoted coming-from-behind factor that Calgary did so many times this year is another reason people think it's just fluke.
People/pundits seem to conveniently forget there were other teams that had even more come from behind wins than the Flames, like Anaheim, but I guess they just aren't going anywhere either....
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #60
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Yep, the OP totally did not read that article. Another article talking how great we are and how hard we fought.
Unsustainable? More like unforgettable (I think Spector actually says that)

Howitzer, you should change the thread title, as it is even worse clickbait than the Spector article.
Its part of the title. Flames’ ride unsustainable, but unforgettable
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , fucorsi , pdo , playoffs