Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #3681
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had a new one on my ride in this morning. Crossing 20th ave, I have a stop sign, so I stop. Some traffic. There is a pedestrian button, but it's out of the way so I usually just wait. Occasionally a car stops here and I'll wave them to keep going. Well this morning a cop stops. Like, WTF do I do now? Is this a trap? Nope, he just sits, and the car the other direction stops too. I didn't have a lot of choice, I wasn't going to wave a cop through, so I finally went. But if cops can't even get this right, what hope do the rest of us have?
Cop aside, I hate when I'm crossing a street and somebody stops for me. Do I go? What about the other lane(s) - are the other cars going to stop?

I get they're trying to be courteous but it ends up feeling like you're taking your life in your hands because the rules of the road are out the window.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #3682
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ this drives me crazy as well. Especially when i am waving them on as they have the right of way.

but i guess this si better than the goofs who drive closely or cut you off.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #3683
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I had this happen on Dunbow Road, turning into the Heritage shopping centre. I was in the turn lane waiting for the on-coming traffic to go by so I could turn left. The driver stopped in the middle of the 80km/h road and the 3 cars behind had to slam on their brakes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #3684
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
How are you enjoying the Radwagon so far? A word of advice - don’t let your battery get cold overnight. I’ve made that mistake a couple of times and notice a huge decrease in battery capacity. Oops
We've had our Radrunner Plus since the end of March and we are loving it. We made smaller kiddos so there is no problem with one of them riding on the rear seat, and it is awesome to use it as a car replacement for trips. Girl Guides going to the Fish Hatchery or Telus Spark? No problem, hop on kid and let's go for a ride instead of using the car.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #3685
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that ride home hit a little harder than the ride in this morning
Old 06-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #3686
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How are people watching the Tour de France this year? Last year we used Flobikes. ANybody use a VPN?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:27 AM   #3687
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gave up on TdF. I used to PVR it and watch it every night. No way am I paying a huge chunk of cash for a month. Stupid decision by TdF to do this. So now it just doesn't really exist to me, which is a shame, becuase I did enjoy it.

If their is a less than above board way to catch it this year, I'm all ears.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #3688
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I watch it on Flobikes. They have enough other races that it's worth it for me.

You could also get GCN and use a VPN for the UK feed. You'd get all the races with that.

Between GCN and Flobikes, you could watch cycling almost everyday during the season. Which I mostly do.

Honestly, the TdF is a bit like the Super Bowl. It has moments of great racing but it's less exciting than many of the other races. Especially the one-day races.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #3689
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I gave up on TdF. I used to PVR it and watch it every night. No way am I paying a huge chunk of cash for a month. Stupid decision by TdF to do this. So now it just doesn't really exist to me, which is a shame, becuase I did enjoy it.

If their is a less than above board way to catch it this year, I'm all ears.
This is me too. Used to love putting on the outdoor network and watch while eating breakfast. I was hooked and wouldn't miss a day. Now, like you, I don't even know it's happening.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #3690
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I watch it on Flobikes. They have enough other races that it's worth it for me.

You could also get GCN and use a VPN for the UK feed. You'd get all the races with that.

Between GCN and Flobikes, you could watch cycling almost everyday during the season. Which I mostly do.

Honestly, the TdF is a bit like the Super Bowl. It has moments of great racing but it's less exciting than many of the other races. Especially the one-day races.
This, the Vuelta is always better and the one days are far more interesting, most of the tour stages are very predictable and the climbing stages now only seem to be raced the last 5 km.
That being said the penultimate stage 2 years ago was awesome
Old 06-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #3691
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Has anyone biked out in Revy?

In particular Ultimate Frisby? Looking for some info on the trail for an upcoming race.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:49 AM   #3692
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Has anyone biked out in Revy?

In particular Ultimate Frisby? Looking for some info on the trail for an upcoming race.
i have biked out in Revy and have done Mt. MacPherson, Frisby Ridge (I don't think Ultimate Frisby was open yet) and Keystone Standard Basin.

The bugs (horse/deer flies) on Frisby were unbelievable stopping to catch your breath was unenjoyable. Keystone Standard was a hard ride - my rear hub melted down at the cabin, so my ride back involved lots of pushing.

I find all the riding there requires driving to the trailhead where in Fernie you can ride right from town. I would also say the riding there is generally harder than Fernie
Old 06-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #3693
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
This is me too. Used to love putting on the outdoor network and watch while eating breakfast. I was hooked and wouldn't miss a day. Now, like you, I don't even know it's happening.
Did the Steephill not so above board and sketchy adds go away or shut down?
Any alternatives?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #3694
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hopped on an bird ebike this afternoon, rolled over to the office and gave my commute a test spin… 12 minutes door to door and the pedal assist alleviated 100% of my concern for the hills north of downtown.

I’m about ready to pull the trigger on an ebike, thanks for the info earlier in the thread… my wallet is a bit less thankful.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #3695
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been off the bike for various reasons since May… so nice to be outside again this morning in the sunshine, before the wind, relatively light traffic, and great views of the mountains. Hopefully my legs and lungs will show up again some time however important to recognize that I’m solar powered and just being outside is “enough”.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 04:06 PM   #3696
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a nice little crash over today at Nose Hill where I went over the handlebars on a pretty steep downhill because of a root that I didn't see early enough. It was pretty low speed and didn't hurt too bad except that I ended up in a rose bush and got cut up by the thorns. I probably have a few thorns stuck in my knee and the back of my shoulder.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:20 AM   #3697
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The weather was perfect for the Badlands Gran Fondo this weekend. The usual headwind for the last 50km but pretty manageable if you were in a group.

I'd only ever done the event once before in 2016. It took me 7 hours and 5 minutes to complete the 160km route. Finishing 164th out of 268. It was my longest ride ever at that point and I was really hurting by the end of it.

After 8 years and a lot of kms between, I managed to do the ride this weekend in 4 hours 36 minutes (with a couple 5 minute stops for water and food) and finished 5th overall.

Edit: I should add that hungryhun makes for a great draft partner. Just a powerhouse out there.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-27-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #3698
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Nicely done K Train!

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #3699
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

k-train i think that is an average speed of almost 35kph - solid riding
Old 06-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #3700
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
k-train i think that is an average speed of almost 35kph - solid riding
36.9kph

As someone who will ride an extra km or 2 to get a round number, that .1 kph annoys me.