Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #81
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
As for the OPs suggestion, I know it's getting a lot of flack, but I think it's a great idea. I don't think MQS is talking about having an entire basement devouted to being a bar. It sounds more like he wants to have a rec room/viewing room with a relatively small area in one of the corners devoted to serving drinks.
This is it exactly. I just used a small corner of my basement rec room. It was a space that would have otherwise been unused. This picture was taken just after I started

This one after the walls were painted black prior to application of the wood slats. Also, the bar top under construction

Don't forget to put in a foot rail

Last edited by Shin Pad; 05-20-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #82
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Exactly, what it'd do is get people from the kitchen to the basement. The bar isn't the focal point, it'd be to get a beer, put out some food, a place to talk, chat during the party, additional seating to watch the game, etc.

Focal point would obviously be the stripper pole rec room/tv.

Also my give a crap about the flack is literally nodda. To each their own, make your own home yours. Do what you want. I was looking for inspiration on how what I wanted would look. I think I've got that now.
Personally, I'm not trying to give you flack. I'm just saying that I find that for my bar as well as the bar of others, most of us found we didn't use it as remotely close as we'd hoped. I don't think many others are truly trying to give you flack either. It's kinda like that joke where everyone says that it sounds awesome to have a hot tub, until you have one.

Using it as a refilling station for some true focal point is exactly what most of us use it for as opposed to a breakfast nook counter space sort of thing you actually sit at (biggest error of most basement bars I see). What it seems like you'll be doing seems like it will be perfect for what you want to do without putting too much in features you'll underutilize and not enough in features you'll use all the time. This is exactly how I use my basement bar and it's basically perfect for what I do myself.

However, if you are going to use it a lot, awesome. Most are just warning to put it off to the side and be specific in upgrading the features that you'll likely utilize more if you have to pick and choose (ie: garburator, larger sink with pull out etc. vs stone counter tops). If your guests will sit at the bar on nice bar stools, awesome. The vast majority of people would be able to put a display case type of bar or a open concept sort of bar to better use than an old school type bar is my only suggestion.

I personally just found that I spent nearly $1G on really nice and comfy bar stools for them to often be used as an arm rest. The counter used all the time to leave drinks on. But stools? Bizarrely, most people rarely used them whether they were at a basement bar or in a kitchen. It was just the strangest thing. My guests were happier sitting on folding chairs, stairs, on the carpet, sofa etc. and barely used the bar stools to sit at the counter where their drinks were. They used the damn things more to put coats and purses than sit on! The counter was used a ton, but if I could do over for hosting, $200 per chair x5 goes a long way towards other things rather than expecting people to sit at the bar instead. That's a basic couch with money left over for booze. That's almost enough to stock a bar with basics for a decade. I still use my bar a ton and luckily it's mostly the perfect display corner for my purposes that I described I wanted and needed. Many of my guests walk up to it impressed by my booze collection, but no one ever seems to want to stay close to it for more than 5-10 minutes total for an evening.

I think your bar will be pretty awesome. If others don't enjoy it, it seems you will. Just be a little careful not to go too overboard to try and make it feel more focal. Focus on spending money on the utility rather than the comfort and look. That's a mistake I made once and what I'd improve if I had a chance to mulligan.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #83
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basement bar?

You could say the bar here would be quite...

low...

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #84
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why was I assuming a "below grade" pun would follow?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:07 PM   #85
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Personally, I'm not trying to give you flack. I'm just saying that I find that for my bar as well as the bar of others, most of us found we didn't use it as remotely close as we'd hoped. I don't think many others are truly trying to give you flack either. It's kinda like that joke where everyone says that it sounds awesome to have a hot tub, until you have one.

Using it as a refilling station for some true focal point is exactly what most of us use it for as opposed to a breakfast nook counter space sort of thing you actually sit at (biggest error of most basement bars I see). What it seems like you'll be doing seems like it will be perfect for what you want to do without putting too much in features you'll underutilize and not enough in features you'll use all the time. This is exactly how I use my basement bar and it's basically perfect for what I do myself.

However, if you are going to use it a lot, awesome. Most are just warning to put it off to the side and be specific in upgrading the features that you'll likely utilize more if you have to pick and choose (ie: garburator, larger sink with pull out etc. vs stone counter tops). If your guests will sit at the bar on nice bar stools, awesome. The vast majority of people would be able to put a display case type of bar or a open concept sort of bar to better use than an old school type bar is my only suggestion.

I personally just found that I spent nearly $1G on really nice and comfy bar stools for them to often be used as an arm rest. The counter used all the time to leave drinks on. But stools? Bizarrely, most people rarely used them whether they were at a basement bar or in a kitchen. It was just the strangest thing. My guests were happier sitting on folding chairs, stairs, on the carpet, sofa etc. and barely used the bar stools to sit at the counter where their drinks were. They used the damn things more to put coats and purses than sit on! The counter was used a ton, but if I could do over for hosting, $200 per chair x5 goes a long way towards other things rather than expecting people to sit at the bar instead. That's a basic couch with money left over for booze. That's almost enough to stock a bar with basics for a decade. I still use my bar a ton and luckily it's mostly the perfect display corner for my purposes that I described I wanted and needed. Many of my guests walk up to it impressed by my booze collection, but no one ever seems to want to stay close to it for more than 5-10 minutes total for an evening.

I think your bar will be pretty awesome. If others don't enjoy it, it seems you will. Just be a little careful not to go too overboard to try and make it feel more focal. Focus on spending money on the utility rather than the comfort and look. That's a mistake I made once and what I'd improve if I had a chance to mulligan.
Exactly. I learned a long, long time ago to not put my money into something I wouldn't use.

The purpose of this thread was three fold:

(1) What do people use that I hadn't thought of;
(2) What did people think they'd use but don't; and
(3) How is it set up/What does it look like?

I've actually found this very useful.

I'm the type of person that will look at something and say "the base model does everything I'd want/use, but for an extra X I can get the top of the line with feature I'd never use" a lot of people would say "what an extra X?" Whereas I say "meh, not gonna use it, so I'm wasting my money".

But I will pay for something I'll get use out of.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

So I want feedback, the good, bad, and absurd.

People made fun of Silver, but my God, the shoes thing makes so much sense. Is it non-sensical and ridiculous? Yes. It is wrong? No.

That's the s*** I love and want to know.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote